hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Rabid fanboys of any persuasion are shitty people.
    This is true but there aren't as many windows ones as mac ones...
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    PCMR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCMR

Point taken.. But thats usually said when you are having a go at console users and we all know they are shit..

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Recently had a chat with a teacher from a different school at a conference on digital education and media competence. From the usability point of view Apple may actually be the best option for a school (that is including the fact that we don't have any IT personnel at all). And we both are solid windows fanboys.
    .. ok, but why?
    Last year we took cheaper machines then macs, with higher specs, put adobe CC on them and provided them to the kids.
    They get used far more in public areas than the macs do for Graphical work, but the college tutors refuse to have them in their classrooms because they are not macs and macs are better.

erm.

to which we say "but ... why"

"Everyone in the industry uses macs". Erm. no they don't. Not even close.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Recently had a chat with a teacher from a different school at a conference on digital education and media competence. From the usability point of view Apple may actually be the best option for a school (that is including the fact that we don't have any IT personnel at all). And we both are solid windows fanboys.
    .. ok, but why?
    Last year we took cheaper machines then macs, with higher specs, put adobe CC on them and provided them to the kids.
    They get used far more in public areas than the macs do for Graphical work, but the college tutors refuse to have them in their classrooms because they are not macs and macs are better.

erm.

It's not about the industry standards.

It's about we don't have a single staff member for IT. It's all done by teachers. The colleague mentioned how simple and quick setting up a complete Apple ecosystem at a school is. Especially rights management is supposedly easy. Not to mention the free server OS. The long Support of older hardware is also pretty nice. Android hardware isn't officially updated after two years usually, Apple support for older models is pretty long lasting.
    That last bit lowers total cost of ownership massively.

And you get decent software along with it.

iMovie is good, GarageBand is powerful, pages etc is great as well. All included, all for free, all well supported.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

.. ok, but why?

erm.

It's about we don't have a single staff member for IT. It's all done by teachers. The colleague mentioned how simple and quick setting up a complete Apple ecosystem at a school is. Especially rights management is supposedly easy. Not to mention the free server OS. The long Support of older hardware is also pretty nice. Android hardware isn't officially updated after two years usually, Apple support for older models is pretty long lasting.

iMovie is good, GarageBand is powerful, pages etc is great as well. All included, all for free, all well supported.

Tapapapatalk
    I think those are valid points, and I agree that you get more value for your money with a Mac than you do with a PC, in general terms. The problem of Macs vs PCs is that the question is so coloured with decades of rabid frothing at the mouth and a general lack of knowledge of the options that an in depth discussion is difficult, if not impossible.

I'll give you a number of personal examples that I have experienced to illustrate this.

I work in a design company as the computer person. I've been doing this since about 2007. I also did it for a while in 2001 to 2003. The company uses a mix of PCs and Macs. Originally, the PCs were used for CAD work and development, back when we still did development. My first PC at work when I was doing Java was a beige PC running a borked Win2k with a defective power supply which would start if one pressed the power button in a certain manner and that blew in literal smoke about a year later. My predecesor was a Spanish bloke who was an A class fuck up who did as little as humanly possible and treated people with the traditional contempt of a BOFH. After we had a tussle involving lawyers he left or was fired and I took over. Our servers at the time were a mix of SuSE Linux, Gentoo Linux (on production machines FFS!) and an old SGI Irix machine as a file server. We switched all of that over to Mac XServes plus an XRAID about two years before Apple discontinued both lines. Apple's OSX Server had a very nice and usable UI and the machines were very well made. BUT, it soon became apparent that Apple's investment in this space was a side line as there were numerous bugs, many of which never got fixed and any customisation was onerous at best. A trivial example is that the GUI in OSX Server 10.5 to Apple's Open Directory (LDAP implementation slapped on top of OpenLDAP) would not allow you to enter usernames with a dot in them. You could easily do this in the CLI (escaped characters anyone?). Another problem was that Open Directory was notoriously unreliable when it came to things like replication etc, often forcing you to resort to the CLI to dick with slapd and friends.

Over time the directory would usually get corrupted and fixing it was nigh on impossible, resulting in ugly fixes like new installs etc. We would also have to do this when Spotlight, Apple's search indexing thingamabob would get corrupted, resulting in show stopping crashes and loss of data.

Over time, we managed to get a stable system running with plain vanilla OSX 10.6 Server, no spotlight, and a new Promise RAID and we've left it there ever since, since Apple killed the whole server line, including their fucking joke Mac Minis. That company is finally getting around to moving to the cloud with Office 365 and I wish them well. The place I now work just uses

I was pretty much a Mac fanboi in my early years in this job and when Apple released the Mac Pro towers in 2006, I was like a crack addict in mid withdrawal. Before Apple even released their bootcamp setup for dual booting into Windows, we were installing Windows so we could do CAD on these machines instead of PCs, because Macs are better, right?

Wrong. It was an expensive fuckup from the beginning. The CAD software requires certified graphic cards (Quadro and Fire Pro) and the range was limited to one fucking card that would also work in OSX. You could use cards that worked in windows only, but while the machines were fantastically built and expandable, it rapidly became apparent by 2010 that Apple was abandoning most things that were "professional". Apple never made laptops that used mobile intel xeons or mobile nvidia quadros, and while it's a niche market, it's a very important one in industrial design.

Today we use PCs exclusively, and Lenovo and HP make very good workstation laptops and towers and we've started building our own (the threadripper experience, which finally turned out quite well).

The graphic designers and project managers, and more recently web UI developers have long been bastions of Mac use, and I can't say I blame them, since Apple's machines and OS are very, very well made and work very well, and OSX certainly has had more attention applied to details than Windows over the years.

That said, ever since Steve Balmer was tossed from Microsoft, Satya Nadella has been far better than Microsoft has ever been at paying attention to details of the OS and I find Win10 much nicer in general looks and ease of use than Win NT - Win 7 were and the monstrosity that was Win 8 - Win 8.1. Microsoft's hardware has also come a long way and while neither the OS nor the hardware are near Apple's in terms of looks, Microsoft has wisely given up on stuff that it fucked up, like their phones and has become far more friendly to competing stuff like Android and iOS, unlike Apple, who try their level best to enforce lock-in at ridiculous prices.

This works to a certain extent, as the popularity of Apple's devices like the iPhone, iPad and Watch prove, and the devices are certainly very good. But they neglect their mainstream computer offerings and offer things like that ridiculous touch bar on the Macbook Pros and let very bad QA errors slip through like that password free root login bug slip through. I use a Dell XPS 13 in my daily life and it is, to me personally, the best machine I've had and used in a long time. It's not perfect and Dell does let some things slip through the cracks, but it's leagues better than what MS and Dell used to offer.

Recently, one of our guys, who recently switched from an iMac to a Lenovo P910 Thinkstation and is very happy with Win10, the performance he gets from the machine and not having to switch machines anymore when he does CAD, asked for an MS Designer Bluetooth keyboard. The machine was ordered without BT from a supplier who doesn't have any spares, so I got the parts myself (PCI card with Key E socket, Intel 7265 wifi/BT card, plus a fucking w.fl cable connector) and after some trials and tribulations, installed it. I know I could have just gotten a USB BT dongel, but I wanted to try the internal connectors out. A guy two seats away from him, who is a pretty rabid Mac fanboi, and very clueless when it comes to computer things, said that a Mac wouldn't have had those problems. I replied that the Mac Pro towers had exactly the same internal connectors and that changing them meant not being able to use just any wifi/BT card as only the Apple ones had drivers.

And that, to TL;DR is the crux: Apple holds one's hands much more than others do, but you get that hand holding at a price, and you also pay to leave that circle.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Well, I'd like shit that works. I want to do modern stuff like make videos in class, take pictures, edit and view them in class. There is a special ed teacher in the US that does ebooks with his students. And that's not even complicated. Apple provides all the tools to do that (and mighty but easy to use tools) and windows software isn't much worse either.

Anyway, it's a moot point, unless someone gifts us the hardware, we won't have tablets, will only have two computer rooms with a hodge-podge of assorted windows computers running win7. And a handful of laptops that aren't portable due to shot batteries.
    Oh and we get to use a proprietary imaging system that pushes a new disk image for every boot and runs a local key management server for MS stuff. Those images break anything by Magix (so no decent video editor for my media class, because we have a license for one and can't buy a new one for a different software). Plus it's really awesome grabbing a new image with every boot. Our network is really fast (not). And thanks to our finances we can only provide each student with 200mb of storage on the server. That is super useful for my media class.
    The server software:
    https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LogoDIDACT?wprov=sfla1
    It does some school specific stuff that is important (control and monitor all computers in a room). So we got that going for us.

We're lucky for having a single computer in each room attached to an interactive whiteboard. That's a lot more than most schools in Germany even dream of.
    (I've literally heard a school in Baden-Württemberg go "we got our teachers to agree to digital record keeping by offering to put a computer in each classroom. And then we had to find someone to sponsor us. Good thing we're the only school in town and the local Mittelstand helped us.")

/rant

Anyone want to donate... Anything?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

hahaha fucking assmad muh wangblows jesus wept

Apple is fine holy fuck calm down

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post

What? Did you have a stroke?

Honestly I don't care whether it's Apple or Google or Microsoft or whatever. None of that is going to happen anyway.

I think Apple haters are as bad as Apple fanboys. If not worse.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post

Do you require medical assistance?

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    .. ok, but why?

erm.

Tapapapatalk
    I think those are valid points, and I agree that you get more value for your money with a Mac than you do with a PC, in general terms. The problem of Macs vs PCs is that the question is so coloured with decades of rabid frothing at the mouth and a general lack of knowledge of the options that an in depth discussion is difficult, if not impossible.

I'll give you a number of personal examples that I have experienced to illustrate this.

I work in a design company as the computer person. I've been doing this since about 2007. I also did it for a while in 2001 to 2003. The company uses a mix of PCs and Macs. Originally, the PCs were used for CAD work and development, back when we still did development. My first PC at work when I was doing Java was a beige PC running a borked Win2k with a defective power supply which would start if one pressed the power button in a certain manner and that blew in literal smoke about a year later. My predecesor was a Spanish bloke who was an A class fuck up who did as little as humanly possible and treated people with the traditional contempt of a BOFH. After we had a tussle involving lawyers he left or was fired and I took over. Our servers at the time were a mix of SuSE Linux, Gentoo Linux (on production machines FFS!) and an old SGI Irix machine as a file server. We switched all of that over to Mac XServes plus an XRAID about two years before Apple discontinued both lines. Apple's OSX Server had a very nice and usable UI and the machines were very well made. BUT, it soon became apparent that Apple's investment in this space was a side line as there were numerous bugs, many of which never got fixed and any customisation was onerous at best. A trivial example is that the GUI in OSX Server 10.5 to Apple's Open Directory (LDAP implementation slapped on top of OpenLDAP) would not allow you to enter usernames with a dot in them. You could easily do this in the CLI (escaped characters anyone?). Another problem was that Open Directory was notoriously unreliable when it came to things like replication etc, often forcing you to resort to the CLI to dick with slapd and friends.

Over time the directory would usually get corrupted and fixing it was nigh on impossible, resulting in ugly fixes like new installs etc. We would also have to do this when Spotlight, Apple's search indexing thingamabob would get corrupted, resulting in show stopping crashes and loss of data.

Over time, we managed to get a stable system running with plain vanilla OSX 10.6 Server, no spotlight, and a new Promise RAID and we've left it there ever since, since Apple killed the whole server line, including their fucking joke Mac Minis. That company is finally getting around to moving to the cloud with Office 365 and I wish them well. The place I now work just uses

I was pretty much a Mac fanboi in my early years in this job and when Apple released the Mac Pro towers in 2006, I was like a crack addict in mid withdrawal. Before Apple even released their bootcamp setup for dual booting into Windows, we were installing Windows so we could do CAD on these machines instead of PCs, because Macs are better, right?

Wrong. It was an expensive fuckup from the beginning. The CAD software requires certified graphic cards (Quadro and Fire Pro) and the range was limited to one fucking card that would also work in OSX. You could use cards that worked in windows only, but while the machines were fantastically built and expandable, it rapidly became apparent by 2010 that Apple was abandoning most things that were "professional". Apple never made laptops that used mobile intel xeons or mobile nvidia quadros, and while it's a niche market, it's a very important one in industrial design.

Today we use PCs exclusively, and Lenovo and HP make very good workstation laptops and towers and we've started building our own (the threadripper experience, which finally turned out quite well).

The graphic designers and project managers, and more recently web UI developers have long been bastions of Mac use, and I can't say I blame them, since Apple's machines and OS are very, very well made and work very well, and OSX certainly has had more attention applied to details than Windows over the years.

That said, ever since Steve Balmer was tossed from Microsoft, Satya Nadella has been far better than Microsoft has ever been at paying attention to details of the OS and I find Win10 much nicer in general looks and ease of use than Win NT - Win 7 were and the monstrosity that was Win 8 - Win 8.1. Microsoft's hardware has also come a long way and while neither the OS nor the hardware are near Apple's in terms of looks, Microsoft has wisely given up on stuff that it fucked up, like their phones and has become far more friendly to competing stuff like Android and iOS, unlike Apple, who try their level best to enforce lock-in at ridiculous prices.

This works to a certain extent, as the popularity of Apple's devices like the iPhone, iPad and Watch prove, and the devices are certainly very good. But they neglect their mainstream computer offerings and offer things like that ridiculous touch bar on the Macbook Pros and let very bad QA errors slip through like that password free root login bug slip through. I use a Dell XPS 13 in my daily life and it is, to me personally, the best machine I've had and used in a long time. It's not perfect and Dell does let some things slip through the cracks, but it's leagues better than what MS and Dell used to offer.

Recently, one of our guys, who recently switched from an iMac to a Lenovo P910 Thinkstation and is very happy with Win10, the performance he gets from the machine and not having to switch machines anymore when he does CAD, asked for an MS Designer Bluetooth keyboard. The machine was ordered without BT from a supplier who doesn't have any spares, so I got the parts myself (PCI card with Key E socket, Intel 7265 wifi/BT card, plus a fucking w.fl cable connector) and after some trials and tribulations, installed it. I know I could have just gotten a USB BT dongel, but I wanted to try the internal connectors out. A guy two seats away from him, who is a pretty rabid Mac fanboi, and very clueless when it comes to computer things, said that a Mac wouldn't have had those problems. I replied that the Mac Pro towers had exactly the same internal connectors and that changing them meant not being able to use just any wifi/BT card as only the Apple ones had drivers.

And that, to TL;DR is the crux: Apple holds one's hands much more than others do, but you get that hand holding at a price, and you also pay to leave that circle.
    what the fuck is all this like

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Why are we having an apple v windows 'chat' in an AV thread?

I have no issues with either and both are perfectly capable of doing just about anything that anyone wants. I have both working on my home network and have supported both in work environments.. Macs give you more out of the box but imo PCs give you better value because you don't get stuck with a bunch of software you don't want (that you paid for). You can install CS on either of them equally fine and its by and large the same on both... Get what you want and deal.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

HP laptops found to have hidden keylogger

~ no, not the one found in the audio drivers back in May, this one was actually embedded within the Synaptics Touchpad software.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...emote-attacks/

FortiClient antivirus client leaks VPN credentials.
    Palo Alto firewalls have a root remote code execution vuln.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...security-flaw/

Don't trust the Windows 10 Pro Password Manager browser extension
    this is a complete compromise of Keeper security, allowing any website to steal any password

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post

"restrict management to your Ian only".. Well duh. Anyone exposing their firewall management interface to the Internet, even with a password, deserves this..

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post

"restrict management to your Ian only".. Well duh. Anyone exposing their firewall management interface to the Internet, even with a password, deserves this..
    I never activated that crap in any of my routers in almost a decade and I'm not an IT professional. It made me chuckle politely every time I saw that, because why would you want that?

Anyway, I was always of the opinion that true network security professionals would never do such a retarded thing. Obviously I'm wrong a lot lately.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Yeah that’s because you’ve got one router. Not dozens or hundreds over various buildings.