hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1126

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

1) read Unauthorized Bread

2) Tesla Remotely Removes Autopilot Features From Customer's Used Tesla Without Any Notice ~ don't buy a Tesla second-hand, and arguably, don't buy one new either. Fabulously shitty tactics.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    1) read Unauthorized Bread

2) Tesla Remotely Removes Autopilot Features From Customer's Used Tesla Without Any Notice ~ don't buy a Tesla second-hand, and arguably, don't buy one new either. Fabulously shitty tactics.
    And I thought John Deere, Caterpillar, and EA were bad. I'm actually impressed.

This will almost certainly come under fire from regulators, who are going to zero in on whether these add-ons were marketed as products or subscriptions, and whether car makers can access and modify vehicles without the new owner's knowledge and consent after a sale. Tesla might say "these were the terms customers agreed to when they created a Tesla account" or "this is no different than OnStar", but I don't think regulators will buy that argument.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

I am not quite sure where this fits, so I'll leave it here.

A Swiss company for crypto equipment, used by Iran, Saudi Arabia and so on. It was founded in 1920 and split in two companies in 2018.

In 2020, an investigation carried out by the Washington Post and ZDF revealed that Crypto AG was, in fact, entirely controlled by the CIA and the BND. The project, initially known by codename "Thesaurus" and later as "Rubicon" spanned from the end of the Second World War until 2018.
    wiki

From 1970 on, the CIA and its code-breaking sibling, the National Security Agency, controlled nearly every aspect of Crypto’s operations — presiding with their German partners over hiring decisions, designing its technology, sabotaging its algorithms and directing its sales targets.
    The CIA and the BND declined to comment, though U.S. and German officials did not dispute the authenticity of the documents.
    The Swiss government announced on Tuesday that it was launching an investigation of Crypto AG’s ties to the CIA and BND. Earlier this month, Swiss officials revoked Crypto International’s export license.

The timing of the Swiss moves was curious. The CIA and BND documents indicate that Swiss officials must have known for decades about Crypto’s ties to the U.S. and German spy services, but intervened only after learning that news organizations were about to expose the arrangement.
    Soft paywall article by WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...nes-espionage/

German article: https://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/cia-bnd-101.html
    The German article mentions that the BND and CIA stopped cooperating on compromised machines in 1993, and the CIA bought the German share and ran the company until 2018. Until then the profits of the company went into the BND budget but without any oversight by the German government.
    nevar forget

Well, that's a clever way to buy a country's silence and cooperation.

Reminds me of the time Hushmail, which marketed itself as an encrypted email provider, provided cleartext emails to law enforcement.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Related Ars article, not pay-walled: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-of-countries/

I found this paragraph from Heise's (German) article interesting:
    Auch die berühmten Worte, "Ausspähen unter Freunden, das geht gar nicht", die die Bundeskanzlerin im Zuge des NSA-Skandals äußerte, klingen nun etwas anders. Der Ex-CIA-Chef Peter Goss hatte ihr 2014 Scheinheiligkeit vorgeworfen – und scheint nun mit seiner diesbezüglichen Kritik an Angela Merkel bestätigt.
    Paraphrased translation
    Merkel's famous sentence "Spying on friends, you just don't do that", which she stated in the wake of the NSA scandal [wire-tapping Merkel's cell phone] now sound differrently. Ex-CIA chief Peter Goss accused her of hypocrisy in 2014 - and seems to have been on spot with his corresponding critisism of Merkel now.

Merkel's not spying on friends comment was one of the funniest bits I've ever heard.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    From 1970 on, the CIA and its code-breaking sibling, the National Security Agency, controlled nearly every aspect of Crypto’s operations — presiding with their German partners over hiring decisions, designing its technology, sabotaging its algorithms and directing its sales targets.
    Small point of order. Actually executing a cryptosystem with an undetectable mathematical back door is exactly the opposite of sabotaged. It is functioning exactly as intended, and is often harder to develop than a real one.
    meh

Aus den Berichten, die uns vorliegen, geht hervor, dass CIA und BND immer wieder darüber stritten, wer die manipulierten Chiffriergeräte bekommen sollte. Die Deutschen wollten nicht, dass verbündete Staaten ausgepäht werden, die Amerikaner wollten im Grunde jede Regierung ausspähen, auch mit "Verbündeten so umgehen, wie sie mit Drittweltstaaten umgehen", so heißt es in einem der deutschen Dokumente.
    According to the reports that we have before us, the CIA and BND keep arguing about who should get the manipulated encryption devices. The Germans did not want allies to be spied on, the Americans basically wanted to spy on any government, including "dealing with allies in the same way as they deal with third world countries," according to one of the German documents.
    - https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/polit...bikon-100.html

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Aus den Berichten, die uns vorliegen, geht hervor, dass CIA und BND immer wieder darüber stritten, wer die manipulierten Chiffriergeräte bekommen sollte. Die Deutschen wollten nicht, dass verbündete Staaten ausgepäht werden, die Amerikaner wollten im Grunde jede Regierung ausspähen, auch mit "Verbündeten so umgehen, wie sie mit Drittweltstaaten umgehen", so heißt es in einem der deutschen Dokumente.
    According to the reports that we have before us, the CIA and BND keep arguing about who should get the manipulated encryption devices. The Germans did not want allies to be spied on, the Americans basically wanted to spy on any government, including "dealing with allies in the same way as they deal with third world countries," according to one of the German documents.
    - https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/polit...bikon-100.html
    In other words, the "keeping honest people honest" principle.

The BND is still the world's least exciting spy agency c/d?

If I was running a spy agency, that's perhaps the best compliment I can get from someone, as it means all my activities fly under the radar.

C and D.

C because no flashy things are done publically. D because they get a 100% copy of all data going through Frankfurt's internet exchange point, which has a peak data throughput of 7.2 Tbit/s, making it the world's biggest IXP. DE-CIX press release

Edit: All data through that means all data from the Middle East, Russia, North Africa, most of the EU, you name it.
    Last edited by Joe Appleby; February 12 2020 at 05:34:50 PM.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    C and D.

C because no flashy things are done publically. D because they get a 100% copy of all data going through Frankfurt's internet exchange point, which has a peak data throughput of 7.2 Tbit/s, making it the world's biggest IXP. DE-CIX press release

Edit: All data through that means all data from the Middle East, Russia, North Africa, most of the EU, you name it.
    Wait, so traffic from Egypt to Iraq has to go through Germany?

Nice map of undersea cables. What does that have to do with how Internet routing works?

Btw source for that map: https://www.submarinecablemap.com/
    nevar forget

I wanted to illustrate something about what Nordstern mentioned, but I was probably wrong and the map was also wrong even if I was right after all, so please disregard. ;(

This map might explain traffic a bit better?
    https://global-internet-map-2018.telegeography.com/

Well when the law suit started it was mentioned by a German tech news site that due to its sheer throughput capability most traffic will route through Frankfurt even if that takes more hops.

Anecdotal story time: a buddy of mine does server routing type work in Austria. Apparently his servers in two separate locations in Austria still routed via Frankfurt.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

While I ofc find this annyoing as hell, I also somewhat admire the creativity of these crooks in regards to coming up with "bot-farmable" ways of social engineering.

It's quite sad to see this obvious talent dedicated to the "dark side".

For those that have twitter embeds blocked: https://twitter.com/DemonTomatoDave/...46838749810694

So what's the smart counter, similar to when the auto-tshirt-design bots got caught out by duplicating anti-bot and Disney-defended content?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.