hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3542434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

Dont really know what I expected.. Of course im vulnerable..

Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Looks like it's upgrade time for you. Pity this happened just before the Ryzen 2 gets launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Dont really know what I expected.. Of course im vulnerable..

That is pretty much how the report looked like for my Xeon E5-1650 which is the same generation.

I'm intrigued how easy any of this would be to exploit on a Linux system behind a firewall that only has OpenVPN exposed to the world. Of course if all that is needed is a Java script in a browser then I'm probably stuffed.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

Browsers are pretty thoroughly hardened against speculative execution attacks now.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Browsers are pretty thoroughly hardened against speculative execution attacks now.
    What about in-game browsers? Or an attack method that doesn't rely on a browser?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Real question here, what exactly is possible through these exploits that can affect your average home user? From what my laymans interpretation of the reports when this first came out, it seemed like it largely affected data centers and virtual machine setups.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Imagine you run a common password manager, so you don't have to manually generate or remember high-entropy passwords.
    Then think what access someone would gain by having the data from this, and/or access to your google/email account.

Most of most people's entire digital security is behind 1 main password and maybe 1 physical device as a 2FA factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Yea, for the consumer or home user I see this as a way to access password to get into other more valuable things. Nothing important is on my home computer with the i7 that I use for vidya games and such, but my laptop is a potential vulnerability because that's where all the work happens. They haven't said if an Apple computer is vulnerable because it would have slightly different architecture but it's still an Intel chip. Can't exactly rip that out and replace it with an AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Yea, for the consumer or home user I see this as a way to access password to get into other more valuable things. Nothing important is on my home computer with the i7 that I use for vidya games and such, but my laptop is a potential vulnerability because that's where all the work happens. They haven't said if an Apple computer is vulnerable because it would have slightly different architecture but it's still an Intel chip. Can't exactly rip that out and replace it with an AMD.
    You just made me nostalgic for Super Socket 7 boards. AMD K6-III+ running at 450MHz!
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Yeah my Ivy-E shows the same "stats".

Fuck this shit.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Made some memes, feel free to steal/redistribute.

Last edited by Nordstern; May 20 2019 at 01:30:43 AM.

Now that almost all the traditional northbridge functions are handled on die by both Intel and AMD, there's probably no insurmountable technical barrier to doing this, but IIRC, the stopper is Intel refusing to license their sockets, not AMD refusing to build for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

If my memory serves me right, at one point there were motherboards who would take both Intel or AMD CPUs, but were manufactured by a third party? I'm not sure, it was a really really long time ago and mostly didn't work anyway.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    If my memory serves me right, at one point there were motherboards who would take both Intel or AMD CPUs, but were manufactured by a third party? I'm not sure, it was a really really long time ago and mostly didn't work anyway.
    That was back in the 386/486 era. Back then you could plug in either an Intel, AMD or Cyrix CPU as they were pin compatible.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Made some memes, feel free to steal/redistribute.
    AMD booth has you beat

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

DEFCON should be fun this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Real question here, what exactly is possible through these exploits that can affect your average home user? From what my laymans interpretation of the reports when this first came out, it seemed like it largely affected data centers and virtual machine setups.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk
    I kinda feel like the biggest risk to my data is still vulnerabilities in third parties.

How scalable are these exploits that home users could be targeted en masse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

biggest risk to your data is still yourself and your idiot colleagues

not trivially - still need a vector to get code onto the machine. browsers are increasingly hardened so you need to already be bouncing through something else or delivering compromised binaries, at which point who gives a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    That was back in the 386/486 era. Back then you could plug in either an Intel, AMD or Cyrix CPU as they were pin compatible.
    Super Socket 7, as I mentioned previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    AMD booth has you beat

EPYC LEVELS OF SHADE!

That popcorn machine belongs in the AMD booth. An AMD rep should just go take it. When questioned by the Intel reps, they should respond with "We're about to steal your business, and you're worried about us stealing a popcorn machine?"

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    biggest risk to your data is still yourself and your idiot colleagues

not trivially - still need a vector to get code onto the machine. browsers are increasingly hardened so you need to already be bouncing through something else or delivering compromised binaries, at which point who gives a shit.
    Having less than 5 colleagues who have the potential to be idiots makes me pretty safe then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.