hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Linux xenosis 4.14.11-xxxx-std-ipv6-64 #1 SMP Thu Jan 4 14:46:47 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Didn't even manage to brick whatever OVH had setup, good work me

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    reject tautology.
    With desktop stats? No ta - they don't even really matter in this context and they're basically a rounding error on the market as a whole anyway.

The numbers I've got access to tell me our customer base are 98.1% Intel (based on c. 3M CPUs that I can see) [...]
    Honest question, because I'm curious, but I don't have a clue how that works: Are those actual iron, or does that include virtual machines, where the emulated/reported processor of the VM might or might not be the real one. Not sure if the later is even possible (=emulating a CPU that's different from the host's one).
    That's as reported by cpuinfo on physical machines only. There's about half as many cloud "CPUs" in play and they're all intel.

So much hype, so much terrible fanboi trolling. It affects all CPUs but Meltdown was uniquely made easier on Intel thanks to transactional memory ops. ARM/AMD are exploitable too, it's just harder in practise.

Good low-down is https://www.renditioninfosec.com/fil...nd_Spectre.pdf

Noone managed to use the meltdown exploit on arm/AMD CPUs

Performance hit on (database) servers seems to be around 10% so yeah not as bad as initially assumed in the postgresql Benchmarks

Derpin from Chinaphone
    Last edited by Stoffl; January 5 2018 at 02:54:04 PM.
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

10% is exactly what the postgres benchmark showed. Unfortunately The Register, being the shit-tier rag that it is, chose to report the synthetic (i.e. with all performance enhancements disabled) worst case 'SELECT 1' benchmark, which showed a 23% slowdown, rather than the TCP-H(ish) benchmark in the very same post which showed something like a 7% dropoff.

Most of our workloads (heavy sequential IO) are showing no detectable slowdown. It's only the very unusually CPU-heavy ones that are taking a beating, and they're 10% slower at worst. Bigger concern for us is we've now got literally every customer applying kernel patches without taking any fucking time to test them. Support cases ahoy.

Big ol' meh. Should've bought Intel at the bottom of yesterday...
    Last edited by elmicker; January 5 2018 at 03:32:11 PM.

https://twitter.com/CCP_SnowedIn/sta...80181577875456

Last edited by root; January 6 2018 at 12:53:27 PM.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    https://twitter.com/CCP_SnowedIn/sta...80181577875456

Because you're a bad.

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Unfortunately The Register, being the shit-tier rag that it is, chose to report the synthetic (i.e. with all performance enhancements disabled) worst case 'SELECT 1' benchmark, which showed a 23% slowdown, rather than the TCP-H(ish) benchmark in the very same post which showed something like a 7% dropoff.
    Meanwhile,

...AMD gets lucky that a buffer overflow in PSP is leaked this week, but patches are ready and it required physical access anyway.

And re: CCP, Marco makes a good point that "do ESI's servers even need patching for Meltdown & Spectre if they're totally in-house and not running untrusted code, and the impact's so huge?"
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Where's the x axis labels?

"do ESI's servers even need patching for Meltdown & Spectre if they're totally in-house and not running untrusted code, and the impact's so huge?"
    Yes.

? X axis label is obvious given the graph title, it's a 1 minutes average, the bottom shows the time

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

"do ESI's servers even need patching for Meltdown & Spectre if they're totally in-house and not running untrusted code, and the impact's so huge?"
    Yes.
    Y tho

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    ? X axis label is obvious given the graph title, it's a 1 minutes average, the bottom shows the time

Herp. Meant Y. I.e. is that graph autoscaled or are there suddenly servers hitting 100%*

*In which case what on earth are they doing where processing an API request is CPU bound...

Yes.
    Y tho
    Because there is no such thing as a "totally in house" server and there is no such thing as "trusted code". (With very, very few exceptions.)

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post

Herp. Meant Y. I.e. is that graph autoscaled or are there suddenly servers hitting 100%*

*In which case what on earth are they doing where processing an API request is CPU bound...

Yes.
    Y tho
    Because there is no such thing as a "totally in house" server and there is no such thing as "trusted code". (With very, very few exceptions.)
    EG today's NPM outage, wherein at least one major package got taken over by an attacker. Have you audited your dependencies lately?

Audit my dependencies? Ainít nobody got time for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/6/16...games-fortnite

~20% performance degradation for Fortnite login servers

2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Looks like easily more than 100% increase to me... You could just about run 4 instances with that 16:00 peak, but only 1 with the 12:00 one.

So if I'm getting this right.. With meltdown if you run a vm in a cloud provider that is running Intel cpus (all of them) then there is a chance your secure vm is running on the same host as some who is running this exploit and they can basically take all of your stuff..

It's the massive vulnerability everyone has warned about with public cloud.. Vendor that you have no control over gets compromised and so do you with no way of knowing or being able to do anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    So if I'm getting this right.. With meltdown if you run a vm in a cloud provider that is running Intel cpus (all of them) then there is a chance your secure vm is running on the same host as some who is running this exploit and they can basically take all of your stuff..

It's the massive vulnerability everyone has warned about with public cloud.. Vendor that you have no control over gets compromised and so do you with no way of knowing or being able to do anything about it.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

Yes
    But wait thereís much more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk