hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I don't know, I'm not an Android develop. NoirAvlaa might be able to answer that.

But if that's the case, I'm heavily screwed, as I use Google devices (Pixel, Nexus). I don't need to have them creep into any apps for that.
    Wasn't Dork Flare using a custom Android ROM for this very reason?
    IDK. Another popular reason for using another ROM is to get rid off all the Google GSuite apps, which you can't uninstall. I coulnd't care less about those, as I yet have to open one of them, let alone use them.

My reasoning for going with Google devices is the update cycle. I have no interest in diving deeper into Android the OS. But I've got enough general IT knowledge to know that these days, just because a user (me) doesn't do stupid stuff, nothing bad/malicious can happen. So I rely on those fast updates for a bit better security.
    I'm unsure why you're using a smartphone if you don't install applications on it? Do you side-load them? Are there any other stores similar to Google Play?

Because if you use Google Play, that's using GApps
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I don't know, I'm not an Android develop. NoirAvlaa might be able to answer that.

But if that's the case, I'm heavily screwed, as I use Google devices (Pixel, Nexus). I don't need to have them creep into any apps for that.
    IDK. Another popular reason for using another ROM is to get rid off all the Google GSuite apps, which you can't uninstall. I coulnd't care less about those, as I yet have to open one of them, let alone use them.

My reasoning for going with Google devices is the update cycle. I have no interest in diving deeper into Android the OS. But I've got enough general IT knowledge to know that these days, just because a user (me) doesn't do stupid stuff, nothing bad/malicious can happen. So I rely on those fast updates for a bit better security.
    I'm unsure why you're using a smartphone if you don't install applications on it? Do you side-load them? Are there any other stores similar to Google Play?

You can sideload if you want and yes there are also other stores if you want. Android is surprisingly 'open' to things like that.

https://medium.com/pen-bold-kiln-pre...s-30c759de1c26
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I'm an old fart. I consider a phone something you call people with. Then there's the occassional SMS and alarm clock. I also use it sometimes for a) navigation and b) ebook reader to pass waiting time. That's about it.

And no, I don't (manually) sideload. However, I have F-Droid as an additional store installed. Yes, I use the Play store. I'm not sure what the difference is between the "GApps" and "GSuite". I seem to remember that the later is Google's Office suite. That's at least what I meant with it, i.e. I don't use their email program, word processer, spreadsheet etc., where they could scan/"spy" contents of the documents, because there's simply no content.

I'm an old fart. I consider a phone something you call people with. Then there's the occassional SMS and alarm clock. I also use it sometimes for a) navigation and b) ebook reader to pass waiting time. That's about it.

And no, I don't (manually) sideload. However, I have F-Droid as an additional store installed. Yes, I use the Play store. I'm not sure what the difference is between the "GApps" and "GSuite". I seem to remember that the later is Google's Office suite. That's at least what I meant with it, i.e. I don't use their email program, word processer, spreadsheet etc., where they could scan/"spy" contents of the documents, because there's simply no content.
    GSuite is the business service where you get apps, mail and drive in a bundle.
    meh

hackaday: DIGITAL LICENSE PLATES ARE HERE, BUT DO WE NEED THEM?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Sparq; February 3 2019 at 03:22:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Hysteria aside, I've never understood the need for them. Now if you were planning on changing your license plate every couple of days sure, but this is usually a thing that gets set once when the car is sold and maybe once or twice in its life for vanity plates.

I can sort of see the argument for registration updates but pretty much the rest of the world uses a form of tax disk or sticker for that (in fact, we just got rid of ours completely, no car even shows its registered now).

One more device to replace every 5 years when the electronics fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    One more device to replace every 5 years when the electronics fail.
    That's optimistic.

Had my current phone almost a year, one day it just suddenly starts spamming me with notifications demanding I try out Google Assistant. Couldn't swipe them away or turn them off in the Notifications menu, had to go 5 pages deep into some Assitant specific menu and disable it completely. I'd prefer to know what the current weather is instead, thank you very much.
    Welcome to android 9. I hope you like their Ux decisions.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Had my current phone almost a year, one day it just suddenly starts spamming me with notifications demanding I try out Google Assistant. Couldn't swipe them away or turn them off in the Notifications menu, had to go 5 pages deep into some Assitant specific menu and disable it completely. I'd prefer to know what the current weather is instead, thank you very much.
    Welcome to android 9. I hope you like their Ux decisions.
    Phone wouldnt stop telling me there was an update.. Installed it and now my clock thinks its a notification..

Actually not joking I've had to turn the clock off because its bugging the shit out of me that its on the left.

Do you like the google search now bar ? you'd better....

I ended up installing the Nova Launcher, and will probably Prime it (and maybe potato it!) it gets around most of the shitty UX decisions but probably adds some of it's own.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Do you like the google search now bar ? you'd better....

I ended up installing the Nova Launcher, and will probably Prime it (and maybe potato it!) it gets around most of the shitty UX decisions but probably adds some of it's own.
    I've had Nova launcher for a long time so I think I've missed most of the retarded ideas.

On anonymity and security: I recently decided to up my security (if true security isn't just a fantastic illusion these days), so I got myself a VPN to add on top of ghostery/adguard, disabling cookies but having to keep javascript on. I've done a few tests with the VPN and have a less unique fingerprint with it than without at around 1 in 50,000 on panopticlick, and part of that is probably me using Safari instead of a more common browser like Chrome or Firefox, but that has it's own issues.

On the one hand Apple seems a little more concerned about privacy and security than the other firms (especially Google, where the kind of data they have on me is terrifying), but using Safari gives you a more noticeable fingerprint.

At this point I am thinking the only way to be secure or relatively anonymous is set up a VPS, connect to it through my VPN, run a virtual machine on the VPS to do all my internet stuff, and wipe it every session. Even then who knows how far the five eyes has their tentacles into everything. Last I checked they monitor every single bit of internet traffic going across the Atlantic and store it all for analysis.

What's everyone else doing, or are people accepting inevitability?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Last I checked they monitor every single bit of internet traffic going across the Atlantic and store it all for analysis.
    That would be an obscene amount of data, even if it included only games.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Don't kid yourself, Apple has the same amount of data on you as Google does, they just don't tell you or let you see it. They also don't seem to want to give or sell it to other people so that's a plus.

So you're saying Apple are in serious breach of GDPR? Why don't you file a complaint?

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    So you're saying Apple are in serious breach of GDPR? Why don't you file a complaint?
    No need to, already done: https://noyb.eu/access_streaming/ (for streaming services). More to come.

That complaint says Apple only refused to supply one but of information and, short of actually deep diving into the details, I can't tell just how valid the background data complaint is. Your claim is that Apple is collecting as much data about you as Google, but that's not at all demonstrated by that website.

No need to, already done: https://noyb.eu/access_streaming/ (for streaming services). More to come.
    Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that the EU firms in that have by far the worst responses to it? Can't even police your own EU companies, I'm not sure why you would expect anyone else to comply...
    meh

That complaint says Apple only refused to supply one but of information and, short of actually deep diving into the details, I can't tell just how valid the background data complaint is. Your claim is that Apple is collecting as much data about you as Google, but that's not at all demonstrated by that website.
    noyb are Privacy trolls. Basically, the same rotten humans as patent trolls, just with added virtue signalling.
    meh