hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1825262728293031 LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 601

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

  1. #541
    walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Posts
    6,213
    This whole iot smart all the things is getting ridiculous.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

  2. #542
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    2,027
    Sounds great but should definitively leverage some blockchain technology.
    Last edited by GeromeDoutrande; April 25 2018 at 08:58:42 PM.

  3. #543
    Straight Hustlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    10,333
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    A reprogrammable plate? Why on earth do plates even need to change? Haven't these people got ANPR like the rest of the world?
    To further add to the confusion and the why on earth is this even happening, unless something has suddenly changed in recent years that I was not aware of, license plates do not get changed in California, unless you specifically request new plates, otherwise the plates put on the car after it rolls off the dealer lot is what it goes into the scrap yard with.

  4. #544
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,934
    I think you haven't seen this to be completely amazed on how humans just have to complicate simple shit. I always thought it'd be nice to hack into those and have them display middle fingers to the rest of the traffic, but the possibilities are endless, really
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  5. #545

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    10,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Okay, so I know technically this hasn't become an actual clown shoe filled dumpster fire yet, but oh boy does it have some out-fucking-standing potential for entertainment.

    Ladies & gentlemen, the Internet of Shit is proud to declare:

    Smart license plates hitting California roads

    - seriously. Read & watch that.



    ~ the devil on my shoulder cannot wait for this to take off. I can think of half a dozen exploits just off the top of my head.

    • Well, e-Ink displays are going to get a lot cheaper, especially if they're second-hand...
    • That whole "get a stolen car to display STOLEN on the plates" thing isn't going to last.
    • Alternatively, great trick to play on your ex, eh?
    • Really don't like someone? Hack their plate to alternately flash "REGISTERED" and "PEDOPHILE", bonus points if it only displays during school hours.
    • Porn. Enough said.
    • Going to commit some crimes? Get a generic daily driver that looks like all the other cars you see frequently, exercise a little judicious photography when the opportunity arises (or just jot them down, pencil & pad - old school) et voilà you've now got enough valid plates to cycle across that match your vehicle ID, that your getaway driver is probably going to get away every time.


    The mind simply boggles.

    ~ a while back I theory-crafted with friends how e-Ink displays hacked into license plate frames could be exploited by sophisticated criminals, never actually expecting in my naivety that someone would go ahead and potentially bankroll a whole ecosystem.
    Why with all the potential is sort of has IoT is nothing but utter retarded wank. Christ.

  6. #546
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Okay, so I know technically this hasn't become an actual clown shoe filled dumpster fire yet, but oh boy does it have some out-fucking-standing potential for entertainment.

    Ladies & gentlemen, the Internet of Shit is proud to declare:

    Smart license plates hitting California roads

    - seriously. Read & watch that.



    ~ the devil on my shoulder cannot wait for this to take off. I can think of half a dozen exploits just off the top of my head.

    • Well, e-Ink displays are going to get a lot cheaper, especially if they're second-hand...
    • That whole "get a stolen car to display STOLEN on the plates" thing isn't going to last.
    • Alternatively, great trick to play on your ex, eh?
    • Really don't like someone? Hack their plate to alternately flash "REGISTERED" and "PEDOPHILE", bonus points if it only displays during school hours.
    • Porn. Enough said.
    • Going to commit some crimes? Get a generic daily driver that looks like all the other cars you see frequently, exercise a little judicious photography when the opportunity arises (or just jot them down, pencil & pad - old school) et voilà you've now got enough valid plates to cycle across that match your vehicle ID, that your getaway driver is probably going to get away every time.


    The mind simply boggles.

    ~ a while back I theory-crafted with friends how e-Ink displays hacked into license plate frames could be exploited by sophisticated criminals, never actually expecting in my naivety that someone would go ahead and potentially bankroll a whole ecosystem.
    Why with all the potential is sort of has IoT is nothing but utter retarded wank. Christ.
    Because IoT became a buzzword and now people are trying to shoehorn it in to everything just because. Its like "cloud".. You see some of the most retarded things being shoved "in to the cloud" with absolutely no regard to if its going to work or not (or even be cost effective).
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  7. #547
    walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Posts
    6,213
    WTS: IOT Cloud Blockchain, implemented as a distributed ledger.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

  8. #548
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,624
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    WTS: IOT Cloud Blockchain, implemented as a distributed ledger.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  9. #549

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    3,919
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    This whole iot smart all the things is getting ridiculous.
    Agreed. But wait until they also throw "AI" into the mix. That will make for some insane shenanigans ...

    Oh, and patent trolls:

    Apply patent for <totally everyday stuff> ...

    [x] ... with a computer
    [x] ... on the internet
    [x] ... in the cloud

    Reserved for future usage, may be combined:

    [ ] ... on smart devices/IoT
    [ ] ... with AI


  10. #550
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    16,460
    Where's my wireless toaster though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  11. #551
    vDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Location
    �� out there
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Where's my wireless toaster though?
    Here

  12. #552

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    10,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Okay, so I know technically this hasn't become an actual clown shoe filled dumpster fire yet, but oh boy does it have some out-fucking-standing potential for entertainment.

    Ladies & gentlemen, the Internet of Shit is proud to declare:

    Smart license plates hitting California roads

    - seriously. Read & watch that.



    ~ the devil on my shoulder cannot wait for this to take off. I can think of half a dozen exploits just off the top of my head.

    • Well, e-Ink displays are going to get a lot cheaper, especially if they're second-hand...
    • That whole "get a stolen car to display STOLEN on the plates" thing isn't going to last.
    • Alternatively, great trick to play on your ex, eh?
    • Really don't like someone? Hack their plate to alternately flash "REGISTERED" and "PEDOPHILE", bonus points if it only displays during school hours.
    • Porn. Enough said.
    • Going to commit some crimes? Get a generic daily driver that looks like all the other cars you see frequently, exercise a little judicious photography when the opportunity arises (or just jot them down, pencil & pad - old school) et voilà you've now got enough valid plates to cycle across that match your vehicle ID, that your getaway driver is probably going to get away every time.


    The mind simply boggles.

    ~ a while back I theory-crafted with friends how e-Ink displays hacked into license plate frames could be exploited by sophisticated criminals, never actually expecting in my naivety that someone would go ahead and potentially bankroll a whole ecosystem.
    Why with all the potential is sort of has IoT is nothing but utter retarded wank. Christ.
    Because IoT became a buzzword and now people are trying to shoehorn it in to everything just because. Its like "cloud".. You see some of the most retarded things being shoved "in to the cloud" with absolutely no regard to if its going to work or not (or even be cost effective).
    I am attending a business school. Trust me, I've seen some shit.



    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  13. #553
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,160
    As someone who works at a factory that makes chips for IoT: please, go all in on IoT.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  14. #554

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    10,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    As someone who works at a factory that makes chips for IoT: please, go all in on IoT.
    I knew you were a horrible person!

  15. #555
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  16. #556
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    21,706
    Lol Intel Mk II
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

  17. #557
    Donor Spawinte's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,327



  18. #558
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,343
    Twitter, perhaps having done an audit after GitHub found they'd been logging plaintext passwords during resets, have found they're doing 1 better by logging all plaintext passwords all the time. ~330million users.

    edit: why is that shitty twitter embed still broken here? Do a fucking server side GET already, no need for each client to enable 3rd party JS to do it.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; May 3 2018 at 10:02:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  19. #559
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,438
    Good news, everyone!

    Last edited by Sparq; May 9 2018 at 02:55:27 PM.

  20. #560
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    10,545
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    A reprogrammable plate? Why on earth do plates even need to change? Haven't these people got ANPR like the rest of the world?
    In California, they currently send you a sticker you have to put on your back plate when you pay your yearly vehicle registration, color coded by month. There is an additional permanent sticker on your plate showing the month your registration needs to be renewed by. I'm assuming that this is the bit that will be updateable, along with the vanity, myspace-like, bejazzled background picture.

    That said,

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq
    That whole "get a stolen car to display STOLEN on the plates" thing isn't going to last.
    Alternatively, great trick to play on your ex, eh?
    Really don't like someone? Hack their plate to alternately flash "REGISTERED" and "PEDOPHILE", bonus points if it only displays during school hours.
    I'm going to assume that the system to control it is going to be under the control of Law Enforcement, much like the current Amber Alert billboards all up and down California on every major highway that display the same and things like kidnapping information on them, so while it's not preposterous they could be hacked, it's not like that system has been (much). I really don't see how your point is an impediment to this kind of technology (not necessarily this implementation).
    meh

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •