hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 162324252627 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

The problem these days is that you can't tell anymore if that's intentionally made up as a rather absurd satire or if someone actually wrote that for real and believes in it. In this case, I fear it's the later.

[Added]

After further review of the tweet, it truns out this was meant as a "omg, look at this stupidity!" tweet.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; April 4 2018 at 01:27:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Who actually upgrades their (Windows) OS install vs just doing a clean install of the new one?
    Fresh install is equivalent to throwing out your car interior every time it gets dirty. How does it work that OS X installs upgrade without issues? (generally speaking, they've derped a few times, but it's only Windows that requires x restarts and y reasons why "clean install is better").
    Why is restarting such a big problem for people (not necessarily you) that it becomes the focus everytime people talk about updates? Is it still those people crying about "muh uptime"
    Mostly has to do with my LSI initializing in about 3 minutes or so every time I have to restart the whole hardware for a stupid update. I also like my music uninterrupted. I like my stuff working and doing stuff, not endlessly rebooting for crap. Also, if it had what OS X has (restart all apps that were on when you restarted), that'd be great. It's 2018 after all. Rebooting is so 1995.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

For those with the FHC-twitter bug/feature
    This is amazing, Windows Defender used the open source unrar code, but changed all the signed ints to unsigned for some reason, breaking the code. @halvarflake noticed and got it fixed. Remote SYSTEM memory corruption
    Then a link to a tweet
    mpengine contains unrar code forked from unrar prior to 5.0, introduces new bug while fixing others
    that links to https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-...id=1543&desc=2
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Just had hit update on my MBP and then I read this and became livid.

Phew.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Who actually upgrades their (Windows) OS install vs just doing a clean install of the new one?
    Fresh install is equivalent to throwing out your car interior every time it gets dirty. How does it work that OS X installs upgrade without issues? (generally speaking, they've derped a few times, but it's only Windows that requires x restarts and y reasons why "clean install is better").
    Why is restarting such a big problem for people (not necessarily you) that it becomes the focus everytime people talk about updates? Is it still those people crying about "muh uptime"
    Mostly has to do with my LSI initializing in about 3 minutes or so every time I have to restart the whole hardware for a stupid update. I also like my music uninterrupted. I like my stuff working and doing stuff, not endlessly rebooting for crap. Also, if it had what OS X has (restart all apps that were on when you restarted), that'd be great. It's 2018 after all. Rebooting is so 1995.
    ...what are you on about?

λ systeminfo|find "Time:"
    System Boot Time: 20/03/2018, 12:30:33

I literally only rebooted because I added another HDD

I'm sure others have even longer uptime.

Uptime = <15 minutes. do i win ?

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    I try to turn my computers off, to save the planet.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

I reboot 2 or 3 times a month, partly for updates and partly for the surface pro being a pain and not waking from sleep sometimes.

All our production infrastructure has an uptime of less than a month as we patch regularly.

I have a computer I never shut off and one that I one that I turn off if I am gonna be gone for >10mins.

where does that put me?

windows servers can do with a reboot weekly, prove me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    ...what are you on about?

λ systeminfo|find "Time:"
    System Boot Time: 20/03/2018, 12:30:33

I literally only rebooted because I added another HDD

I'm sure others have even longer uptime.
    My desktop gets turned off when I'm not there because whats the point of keeping a computer powered on when you are with it for like 4 hours in a day and it takes 10 seconds or less to start. I lost my 3 years of uptime on my atom servers thanks to a dead UPS (and a power outage). That apparently happened 38 days ago.. Still haven't replaced the UPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    windows servers can do with a reboot weekly, prove me wrong
    Depends on what they do.. I'm usually fine with monthly for patching. The only exceptions are servers that get hit heavy by user logins (so RDP server, Citrix servers, etc, etc). We found a bug in server 2003 where if it was up for more than 18 months it would hard lock (where was a specific number of seconds it had to be up for, i cant remember the exact number). Guess how we discovered that..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    This. So much this.

I never understood why people keep their machines up and running, if there's no need to. Besides wasting energy, that time counts towards each hardware pieces' MBF and adds the (admittedly very low) risk of really nasty things like cable fire happening while you're away.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    This. So much this.

I never understood why people keep their machines up and running, if there's no need to. Besides wasting energy, that time counts towards each hardware pieces' MBF and adds the (admittedly very low) risk of really nasty things like cable fire happening while you're away.
    The excuse I hear most often is: "I DUN WANNA DEAL WITH STARTUP TIMEZ", which in my father's case is a valid concern since he has a Clarkdale-era box. He just lets it go to sleep as a workaround.

The other excuse I hear has something to do with the thermal shock of something turning on and off repeatedly over its lifetime, which I think is silly. We're not running early Athlons anymore.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    I like having it on because I don't have a seedbox/server atm and all my services run off the desktop

ie Plex Sonarr etc

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    I like having it on because I don't have a seedbox/server atm and all my services run off the desktop

ie Plex Sonarr etc
    So it runs as a server providing services to other devices/users. I think that is a valid reason. I think he meant people who let their machines idle for no reason at all.

Those people could at least mine coins or do some fold@home stuff.
    nevar forget

https://arstechnica.com/information-...encrypted-dns/

Cloudflare's free encrypted DNS services. Nice Cloudflare. Have a biscuit.