hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

Edit: nvm, to each their own :3
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Tech based thread nerds, at least keep the insults relevant.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Last one clocked at 36h, however this will be the sixth time I do it and I've become exceedingly efficient at it
    The key to fast and successful upgrade is to sort out the glitches/do some spring clean in Win7 first.

Especially for hardware, make sure that the device manager (in Win7) has properly identified all hardware and doesn't show some "!". And make sure you've got the latest drivers for the hardware installed. E.g. your printer may happily work with that stone age old generic HP 3000 driver, but if Windows 10 tries to identify it, that may cause issues.

Going through your applications and deleting some old, no longer used ones and follow up by some general cleaning (temp files, IE/Mozilla cache and the like, cleanmgr.exe is a useful tool for that) also helps the update process. And I recommend to do a manual comparions of folders located in "Program files" and %USER%\AppData\Local and %USER%\AppData\Roaming with what you've actually have installed. There's a shitload of leftovers which didn't get properly deleted when you uninstalled those apps. Some of which might confuse the update process.

Who actually upgrades their (Windows) OS install vs just doing a clean install of the new one?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Who actually upgrades their (Windows) OS install vs just doing a clean install of the new one?
    Actually I did 7 to 10 and it worked out OK. Probably helps that 10 just blows away your old install.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I've upgraded a bunch of fileservers and DC's from 2012R2 to 2016 without a problem. Just gotta remember to flick the Netlogon service back to automatic startup after upgrade and it's fine.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Actually I did 7 to 10 and it worked out OK. Probably helps that 10 just blows away your old install.
    I did the same, had no issues and it finished pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    I did the same, had no issues and it finished pretty quick.
    Mine worked fine for two weeks and then it crapped out on me with the Windows button not working, microfreezes in games as well as Windows and network connection drops.

After two weeks of troubleshooting I made a clean installation. No more problems.

Fresh install is equivalent to throwing out your car interior every time it gets dirty. How does it work that OS X installs upgrade without issues? (generally speaking, they've derped a few times, but it's only Windows that requires x restarts and y reasons why "clean install is better").
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Fresh install is equivalent to throwing out your car interior every time it gets dirty. How does it work that OS X installs upgrade without issues? (generally speaking, they've derped a few times, but it's only Windows that requires x restarts and y reasons why "clean install is better").
    Because you have no understanding of how computers work

Why is restarting such a big problem for people (not necessarily you) that it becomes the focus everytime people talk about updates? Is it still those people crying about "muh uptime"

The only issue I have with windows updates is the few times it decides that now, RIGHT FUCKING NOW, is the time for a mandatory restart.
    When it does it on a schedule at 3am in the morning (or whenever) it's fine.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    The only issue I have with windows updates is the few times it decides that now, RIGHT FUCKING NOW, is the time for a mandatory restart.
    'oh hey your PC has been on and inactive for 24hrs, but i guess you won't mind if i install this update right now in the middle of a 2hr game of battlefield'

stupid fucking black box under my desk

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    'oh hey your PC has been on and inactive for 24hrs, but i guess you won't mind if i install this update right now in the middle of a 2hr game of battlefield'

stupid fucking black box under my desk
    Solution: Run your updates prior to starting a game.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Get this, Sometimes I just do a fresh install of my w10 os when my drives get full. Life on the edge.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Dare View Post
    Get this, Sometimes I just do a fresh install of my w10 os when my drives get full. Life on the edge.
    I should probably do that but it took me years to get everything set up just the way I want, and half my janky ass weeb games only work because I've sacrificed untold hours to regedit and applocale

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    I should probably do that but it took me years to get everything set up just the way I want, and half my janky ass weeb games only work because I've sacrificed untold hours to regedit and applocale
    I need to introduce you to virtual machines some time.. (Seriously, hyper-v is great for this shit. Set it up once, save the vhd, job done)
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    I bought a new SSD to switch to W10 while keeping my W8.1 install "just in case".

Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Right, we haven't even mentioned the latest Panera Bread fiasco.
    Chief Sec. guy being ex. Equifax...
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.