hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

Atlanta city government systems down due to ransomware attack [Updated]

The city of Atlanta government has apparently become the victim of a ransomware attack. The city's official Twitter account announced that the city government "is currently experiencing outages on various customer facing applications, including some that customers may use to pay bills or access court-related information."

According to a report from Atlanta NBC affiliate WXIA, a city employee sent the station a screen shot of a ransomware message demanding a payment of $6,800 to unlock each computer or $51,000 to provide all the keys for affected systems. Employees received emails from the city's information technology department instructing them to unplug their computers if they noticed anything suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Boggles the mind.

Explains where the free vagabonds came from though.

Guns make the news, science doesn't.

It's ok, Microsoft have already trumped it https://www.reddit.com/r/programming..._patch_allows/
    'They managed to make a patch that was worse than the vulnerability.'

Since atm I'm using a combination of router blockings, script blockers and common sense in using the internets, when is it safe to update Windows 10? I'm just afraid it'll wreck it completely, especially since now everything is working properly and there are no weird errors 'n' stuffs

Edit: I'm really attached to MS Paint for some reason :/
    Last edited by Cosmin; March 29 2018 at 05:37:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Since atm I'm using a combination of router blockings, script blockers and common sense in using the internets, when is it safe to update Windows 10? I'm just afraid it'll wreck it completely, especially since now everything is working properly and there are no weird errors 'n' stuffs

As soon as possible? You're missing out on tons of security fixes and other stuff baked into the OS. If you're worried about the telemetry then you can turn almost all of it off and block the rest at your router.

Windows 10 is fine outside a few special cases, the doom and gloom around it is a bit ridiculous tbh.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

haha jesus fuck.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

[...]when is it safe to update Windows 10?
    About a year ago?

Paint.NET

And don't forget that Windows 10 has WSL, which comes along very nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    And don't forget that Windows 10 has WSL, which comes along very nicely
    and Paint. like, included.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Nah paint.net is still more fleshed out than the updated win 10 paint
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Didn't they take out Paint with some update?

Anyway, thing is I didn't really wanted to afford having shit broken by an update. Will probably make a backup and try to just leav. It I during the weekend so it updates on its own.

Yes, I obvs have malwarebytes and some other crap as well and I don't consume pr0n so vOv

All this crap with "we fix it here and break it in 10 other places" is getting really old and scrappy, not in the mood to sit for 48h to reinstall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thing is though, if you don't update on a few years stuff will just stop working on 7 and upgrading will be much more painful.

Seen this happen with xp in several companies. It eventually becomes impossible to stay in the old version and upgrade paths have long since been removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I already have 10 on my desktop (still running 7 on laptop tho), it just hasn't been updated since they started with the crap stuff (didn't get creators update for example).

I'm just wondering how safe/unsafe it is behind two routers, good internet practices, malwarebytes, bitdefender without those updates is all.

I already have 10 on my desktop (still running 7 on laptop tho), it just hasn't been updated since they started with the crap stuff (didn't get creators update for example).

I'm just wondering how safe/unsafe it is behind two routers, good internet practices, malwarebytes, bitdefender without those updates is all.

M8, please.

Also 48 hours for a reinstall? What in the...?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last one clocked at 36h, however this will be the sixth time I do it and I've become exceedingly efficient at it

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Last one clocked at 36h, however this will be the sixth time I do it and I've become exceedingly efficient at it

I think you have larger hardware issues than Win10 breaking something if flattening and reinstalling an OS takes over 6 hours m8

it's not like back in the 98 days, Microsoft have spent over 20 years streamlining the installation process (for better and worse) down to a series of "next" buttons

also, I have paint on here too, but that might be some weird Enterprise thing.
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; March 30 2018 at 03:32:16 PM.

I'm going to assume it's not being installed on an SSD, or from a fast (USB) drive. Win7 does take many hours manually even starting at SP1, especially if you don't stop at just the OS but actually want graphics drivers, a functional browser, text editor, office suite, etc.
    Meanwhile linux is like 15minutes total with all that and dev tools & servers. And just 1-2 reboots total iirc.

It's not just the os but all the small things (and large ones too). OS is like blazing fast but then comes the myriad of installers. I already have a barebones essentials only backup so it goes past the next clickfest and reboots but that's the smallest of the issues. Updated drivers, utilities, toolkits, plugins, regular programs (hell, Adobe CC is actually p fast too), tweaks, shortcuts, work shit, play shit, etc. I've even got settings backups for my regular programs to make it easier.

Obviously the install goes on a SSD, it'd be more than retarded to have 64GB RAM and no SSD

Just as an idea, a full win install (and by that I mean with all the bells and whistles and supplementary stuff) ends up being ~1/2 of a 480GB SSD.