hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2835363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

beep beep you cunts

Brand-New Volkswagen Arrives at Dealer and Drops an F-Bomb to America

A dealership in Rochester, NY had a brand-new, German-built Volkswagen arrive for its pre-sales inspection, and with it came a little message. A message that wasn’t exactly grammatically correct, but the meaning behind it was unmistakable. The message? “Welcome Fuck of USA.”

I’m pretty sure the message-enterer wanted to say “Fuck off USA” instead of “Fuck of USA,” but I think we get the gist either way. Somewhere between the factory and the dealership, with that vast ocean in between, someone in that chain decided they needed to send the U.S. a clear message of how they felt, so they used the only tool they had available: the customizable welcome message setting deep in the menus of the Multifunction Display. It’s totally possible to do this, if you want.

ALSO

"Microsoft plans new 4K webcams to bring facial recognition to all Windows 10 devices, says report" yeah cause the associated increase in software bloat, let alone having to fork out the dosh for a 4K enabled usb-c webcam twat dongle just so Microcock can build a massive biometric database of all our fucking noggins makes me hard how about you? This won't become problematic at all...
    Last edited by Sparq; December 24 2018 at 01:52:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    beep beep you cunts

Brand-New Volkswagen Arrives at Dealer and Drops an F-Bomb to America

A dealership in Rochester, NY had a brand-new, German-built Volkswagen arrive for its pre-sales inspection, and with it came a little message. A message that wasn’t exactly grammatically correct, but the meaning behind it was unmistakable. The message? “Welcome Fuck of USA.”

I’m pretty sure the message-enterer wanted to say “Fuck off USA” instead of “Fuck of USA,” but I think we get the gist either way. Somewhere between the factory and the dealership, with that vast ocean in between, someone in that chain decided they needed to send the U.S. a clear message of how they felt, so they used the only tool they had available: the customizable welcome message setting deep in the menus of the Multifunction Display. It’s totally possible to do this, if you want.

ALSO

"Microsoft plans new 4K webcams to bring facial recognition to all Windows 10 devices, says report" yeah cause the associated increase in software bloat, let alone having to fork out the dosh for a 4K enabled usb-c webcam twat dongle just so Microcock can build a massive biometric database of all our fucking noggins makes me hard how about you? This won't become problematic at all...
    Nice to have further confirmation that I made the right decision this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    -

Nice to have further confirmation that I made the right decision this summer.
    You bought 4K webcam stock?
    meh

its a twatter embed

Why not just link the image?:

Edit: ha, because it doesn't work, possibly some referrer header checking? Double-fuck twitter already

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwNly2rUYAAGLyJ.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

You can blame Android for that one. The way the permission model is/used to be structured means that if you want your game to auto-pause when you receive a call you have to have the permission to make phone calls, because they're the same privilege.

Or were. I think they're more fine grained now, but shit-tier apps haven't had their codebases updated in donkeys and are designed to run on every phone still in existence.

That seems retarded, what if anything else steals focus, like a scheduled alarm?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    That seems retarded, what if anything else steals focus, like a scheduled alarm?
    Would a scheduled alarm not be handled by the OS itself, as opposed to a separate app?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Would a scheduled alarm not be handled by the OS itself, as opposed to a separate app?
    Shouldn't a phone OS help apps handle phone calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    You can blame Android for that one. The way the permission model is/used to be structured means that if you want your game to auto-pause when you receive a call you have to have the permission to make phone calls, because they're the same privilege.

Or were. I think they're more fine grained now, but shit-tier apps haven't had their codebases updated in donkeys and are designed to run on every phone still in existence.
    As an android developer, that doesn't sound right at all. Got any proof of it? I've never made games, but seems like overriding onPause would have exactly the same effect without permissions...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah, Android has/had some weird rights/policies.

I don't remeber the specifics exactly what it was, but an app I used once required permission to the contacts - which had nothng to do with the app's purpose at all. The store page therefore had a specific paragraph explaining that this one sole right to do <x> (some general purpose task, not necessarily restricted to contacts) was lumped into the contacts rights stack.

And then there's ofc bad/lazy developers not being aware of alternative/better ways of doing stuff. So they hit it with the big sledgehammer, although a slight fingertip at the right position would also do the job. Just that figuring our the right position takes 16 lines of code, whereas the sledgehammer does it with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

I don't remeber the specifics exactly what it was, but an app I used once required permission to the contacts - which had nothng to do with the app's purpose at all. The store page therefore had a specific paragraph explaining that this one sole right to do <x> (some general purpose task, not necessarily restricted to contacts) was lumped into the contacts rights stack.

And then there's ofc bad/lazy developers not being aware of alternative/better ways of doing stuff. So they hit it with the big sledgehammer, although a slight fingertip at the right position would also do the job. Just that figuring our the right position takes 16 lines of code, whereas the sledgehammer does it with one.
    Yeah tbh I've met my fair share of lazy developers who are just like "yeh ask for all at the start" to which I've just said no and that's not how it works stop being an idiot.

It's frustrating, because honestly it's not that hard. Want to use the camera now? Check permissions and ask if needed. Want to access local storage now? Check permissions and ask if needed. User says no? Inform them why you need the permission in app, add a button to let them grant, and move on in the knowledge that they've chosen to disable part of the app.

I just had this discussion with a friend recently, basically it's how Google "surveillance" manages to creep into most apps that are essential, basically tldr was that you can't have a properly "private" phone unless you go for a custom ROM that has stuff stripped down.

Is that even remotely accurate? I haven't used Android as a main phone for ages now, curious if that's the case.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I don't know, I'm not an Android develop. NoirAvlaa might be able to answer that.

But if that's the case, I'm heavily screwed, as I use Google devices (Pixel, Nexus). I don't need to have them creep into any apps for that.

I don't know, I'm not an Android develop. NoirAvlaa might be able to answer that.

But if that's the case, I'm heavily screwed, as I use Google devices (Pixel, Nexus). I don't need to have them creep into any apps for that.
    Wasn't Dork Flare using a custom Android ROM for this very reason?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Had my current phone almost a year, one day it just suddenly starts spamming me with notifications demanding I try out Google Assistant. Couldn't swipe them away or turn them off in the Notifications menu, had to go 5 pages deep into some Assitant specific menu and disable it completely. I'd prefer to know what the current weather is instead, thank you very much.

My previous phone I had for 8 months and then one day it downloaded an entirely different default clock app with less features than the previous one.

You can spend hours getting things set up somewhat how you like, then something just updates and un-does all the work. Shit's insidious.

There is a rather amazing bug in FaceTime on iOS 12.1, 12.2 & macOS Mojave right now that can let you call someone then listen in on them without their answering your call. Even better if they decline you with the power button, it proceeds to send video as well. Look it up, it's a corker.
    Last edited by Sparq; January 29 2019 at 04:27:32 AM.

Ideally, we wouldn't need a browser extension to get this info; we could get it from the settings of said service. And I am a bit curious as to how this extension obtains this info.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Wasn't Dork Flare using a custom Android ROM for this very reason?
    IDK. Another popular reason for using another ROM is to get rid off all the Google GSuite apps, which you can't uninstall. I coulnd't care less about those, as I yet have to open one of them, let alone use them.

My reasoning for going with Google devices is the update cycle. I have no interest in diving deeper into Android the OS. But I've got enough general IT knowledge to know that these days, just because a user (me) doesn't do stupid stuff, nothing bad/malicious can happen. So I rely on those fast updates for a bit better security.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; January 29 2019 at 03:24:11 PM. Reason: Typos

Our version of Trump is datamining..

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/01/c...lso-mine-data/
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.