hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 218

Thread: Antivirus is shit, everything is compromised, etc etc (Cybersecurity thread)

  1. #21
    big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,637
    If me gran had balls she'd be me granda
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

  2. #22

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,146
    I was going off of something I read years ago, looking at it now it's not better than all paid services.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spitroast View Post
    turn off Javascript
    This is a totally reasonable expectation to make of people and in no way will completely ruin the internet.

    I guess noscript is acceptable to manage sites you trust but I cannot be assed to re-add them all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Microsoft security essentials. (Or is it just called windows defender now?)

    Seamlessly integrated into windows, lightweight, free, better effectiveness than paid services.
    It's rated quite poorly last I checked. Still better than nothing.
    Looking at the report linked on the last page it blocked 95.7% of viruses and had 1.5% false positive rate in October 2015. That is not poor, it's above some of the paid services and the fact that is doesn't shit on your computer is pretty cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    It rated dead last.
    Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    He's right, within 4% variance...
    Does that qualify as 'technically correct'?

    I feel this is a slippery slope.
    I was wrong, it's not proven to be better than all paid services. It's better than some though and is spending money on some shit software that will slow down your computer to give you a 2% (maybe) increased detection rate a good plan? In my mind no, it's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

    WoT: Redglare[VPG]

  3. #23
    big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    I was going off of something I read years ago, looking at it now it's not better than all paid services.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spitroast View Post
    turn off Javascript
    This is a totally reasonable expectation to make of people and in no way will completely ruin the internet.

    I guess noscript is acceptable to manage sites you trust but I cannot be assed to re-add them all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Microsoft security essentials. (Or is it just called windows defender now?)

    Seamlessly integrated into windows, lightweight, free, better effectiveness than paid services.
    It's rated quite poorly last I checked. Still better than nothing.
    Looking at the report linked on the last page it blocked 95.7% of viruses and had 1.5% false positive rate in October 2015. That is not poor, it's above some of the paid services and the fact that is doesn't shit on your computer is pretty cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    It rated dead last.
    Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    He's right, within 4% variance...
    Does that qualify as 'technically correct'?

    I feel this is a slippery slope.
    I was wrong, it's not proven to be better than all paid services. It's better than some though and is spending money on some shit software that will slow down your computer to give you a 2% (maybe) increased detection rate a good plan? In my mind no, it's not.
    Strawman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

  4. #24
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    14,454
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Don't download doggy stuff from websites.
    This is unreasonable considering Nordstern probably uses the majority of his bandwidth to download cartoon ponies fucking each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  5. #25
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Windows security thingbob + adblock + not pirating stuff generally works well for me.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    I was going off of something I read years ago, looking at it now it's not better than all paid services.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spitroast View Post
    turn off Javascript
    This is a totally reasonable expectation to make of people and in no way will completely ruin the internet.

    I guess noscript is acceptable to manage sites you trust but I cannot be assed to re-add them all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Microsoft security essentials. (Or is it just called windows defender now?)

    Seamlessly integrated into windows, lightweight, free, better effectiveness than paid services.
    It's rated quite poorly last I checked. Still better than nothing.
    Looking at the report linked on the last page it blocked 95.7% of viruses and had 1.5% false positive rate in October 2015. That is not poor, it's above some of the paid services and the fact that is doesn't shit on your computer is pretty cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    It rated dead last.
    Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    He's right, within 4% variance...
    Does that qualify as 'technically correct'?

    I feel this is a slippery slope.
    I was wrong, it's not proven to be better than all paid services. It's better than some though and is spending money on some shit software that will slow down your computer to give you a 2% (maybe) increased detection rate a good plan? In my mind no, it's not.
    Strawman.
    Do you know what that means? srs
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

    WoT: Redglare[VPG]

  7. #27
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,516
    Well, Dad renewed his subscription, which is okay because he needs it more than I do. So I'm set for another year.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  8. #28
    big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    I was going off of something I read years ago, looking at it now it's not better than all paid services.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spitroast View Post
    turn off Javascript
    This is a totally reasonable expectation to make of people and in no way will completely ruin the internet.

    I guess noscript is acceptable to manage sites you trust but I cannot be assed to re-add them all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Microsoft security essentials. (Or is it just called windows defender now?)

    Seamlessly integrated into windows, lightweight, free, better effectiveness than paid services.
    It's rated quite poorly last I checked. Still better than nothing.
    Looking at the report linked on the last page it blocked 95.7% of viruses and had 1.5% false positive rate in October 2015. That is not poor, it's above some of the paid services and the fact that is doesn't shit on your computer is pretty cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    It rated dead last.
    Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    He's right, within 4% variance...
    Does that qualify as 'technically correct'?

    I feel this is a slippery slope.
    I was wrong, it's not proven to be better than all paid services. It's better than some though and is spending money on some shit software that will slow down your computer to give you a 2% (maybe) increased detection rate a good plan? In my mind no, it's not.
    Strawman.
    Do you know what that means? srs
    Yes? Nobody is spending money on "shit software" that will "slow down your computer" compared to MSE. You are constructing a false argument. A strawman.

    NOD32 is good software and not slower than MSE. Do you see why this isn't reflected in your strawman argument?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

  9. #29
    Corwyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Croatistan
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Well, Dad renewed his subscription, which is okay because he needs it more than I do. So I'm set for another year.
    He is more into pirating or porn?
    Hiro Cor

  10. #30

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    I was going off of something I read years ago, looking at it now it's not better than all paid services.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spitroast View Post
    turn off Javascript
    This is a totally reasonable expectation to make of people and in no way will completely ruin the internet.

    I guess noscript is acceptable to manage sites you trust but I cannot be assed to re-add them all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Microsoft security essentials. (Or is it just called windows defender now?)

    Seamlessly integrated into windows, lightweight, free, better effectiveness than paid services.
    It's rated quite poorly last I checked. Still better than nothing.
    Looking at the report linked on the last page it blocked 95.7% of viruses and had 1.5% false positive rate in October 2015. That is not poor, it's above some of the paid services and the fact that is doesn't shit on your computer is pretty cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    It rated dead last.
    Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    He's right, within 4% variance...
    Does that qualify as 'technically correct'?

    I feel this is a slippery slope.
    I was wrong, it's not proven to be better than all paid services. It's better than some though and is spending money on some shit software that will slow down your computer to give you a 2% (maybe) increased detection rate a good plan? In my mind no, it's not.
    Strawman.
    Do you know what that means? srs
    Yes? Nobody is spending money on "shit software" that will "slow down your computer" compared to MSE. You are constructing a false argument. A strawman.

    NOD32 is good software and not slower than MSE. Do you see why this isn't reflected in your strawman argument?
    The word you are looking for is "fallacy" - an argument made with faulty reasoning. Throwing out "strawman!" one word post at the first sign of disagreement is pretty lazy m8.

    A strawman is when I deceptively imply that you are making an argument that you are really not, and then proving that argument false so I can call you wrong. This is not what happened. I straight up called paid AV services shit software, and said that they will slow down your computer. Thus; I do not think it is a good idea to buy them. I did NOT imply that you (or anyone else) advocates intentionally buying shit software or getting software that especially slows down your computer. That would have been a strawman. What really happened is, you are advocating buying software, I am then calling that software shit. These are two different things.

    Was my statement false? Maybe. In fact I will concede that not all AV is shit, some is better than MSE. No strawman though.

    Typing this was a waste of time but there you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

    WoT: Redglare[VPG]

  11. #31
    Stormscion's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    2,464
    I use bitdefender free edition and it is pretty solid.

    Super minimalist and lightweight and does the job done.
    In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? ... At least it is true that man has no control; even over his own will.

  12. #32
    Movember '12 Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012 Cassiuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Location
    lolcanada
    Posts
    1,653
    I work for a AV Reseller and we white label an OEM Enterprise version BitDefender so I am a little biased. It kicks ass.
    Consumer version of ESET (NOD32) like DerpFlare suggested is also very good and light weight.

    Bitdefender is still probably the best imo, overall for things like malware, greyware, randsomware and the other classifications of shit you don't want on your PC.
    It comes with AVC and Cryptolocker prevention and bunch of other cool shit.
    I'm actually an '07.

  13. #33
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Well, Dad renewed his subscription, which is okay because he needs it more than I do. So I'm set for another year.
    He is more into pirating or porn?
    Neither. He doesn't recognize dodgy domains and misspells web addresses all the time. Just the other day, he entered a web address incorrectly and got a message from Kaspersky basically saying "I don't think you meant to go here".
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  14. #34
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,084
    Force his net through a home web proxy, with just a whitelist of sites he can get to...
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  15. #35
    Cortess's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Posts
    4,911
    I'm using Eset that i keep on breathing with trial-keys.

  16. #36
    root's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 26, 2011
    Location
    The Camel Empire
    Posts
    2,941
    Oh wow, this was very fun to read: https://code.google.com/p/google-sec.../detail?id=693
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

  17. #37
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,084
    Fun? I was fucking terrified. It was like perpetually being on the first drop of a rollercoaster! All the while thinking "Why don't they get that their only sane option is to step back and set fire to this thing already?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  18. #38
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,516
    Firefox is now requiring add-ons to be signed every time it starts, so it tries to disable Kapersky's Web Anti-Virus component. Kaspersky's solution to this is to wait until Firefox does this check, then re-activate the add-on. Oh, you turned off Web Anti-Virus component in the Kaspersky settings? Yeah, we're re-activating it anyways.

    Shady as hell. Can still be manually disabled in the add-ons menu, but you have to do this every time you start Firefox.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  19. #39
    root's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 26, 2011
    Location
    The Camel Empire
    Posts
    2,941
    The Addon from AVG is not better: https://code.google.com/p/google-sec.../detail?id=675


    Also: https://twitter.com/dotMudge/status/642758829697056768
    "DoD data (cleared for release) shows on average 1/3 of vulns in government systems is in the security software. "

    kek

    Edit: Haha, 'n otherone https://code.google.com/p/google-sec.../detail?id=546
    Last edited by root; January 18 2016 at 11:38:09 AM.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

  20. #40
    Tyrehl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    [STUGH] Rote Kapelle
    Posts
    3,665
    good to know that i dont trust these shit companies for a reason. 9 million bads using AVG? Hell it doesn't even work as an antivirus and does fuckall, when I stopped using it I was still in school.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •