hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Antivirus is shit, and here's why

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    managed to get rid of it through the resource monitor

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Minimally do a full system scan with multiple AV scanners.

The only save option is complete reset. A system once compromised is never clean again.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Minimally do a full system scan with multiple AV scanners.

The only save option is complete reset. A system once compromised is never clean again.
    already done.

Twice in the past year I've done a complete OS reinstall due to potential infections. One was malware injected into an otherwise benign website, and the other was clicking a random link in somebody's EVE biography without thinking to check the URL first.

I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on a regular basis, and scan most exe/zip files with both before using them.

Is the Malwarebytes real-time protection worth paying for? I've used the trial in the past and it seems to be fairly effective at blocking sketchy links etc.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    Twice in the past year I've done a complete OS reinstall due to potential infections. One was malware injected into an otherwise benign website, and the other was clicking a random link in somebody's EVE biography without thinking to check the URL first.

I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on a regular basis, and scan most exe/zip files with both before using them.

Is the Malwarebytes real-time protection worth paying for? I've used the trial in the past and it seems to be fairly effective at blocking sketchy links etc.
    Have you heard of our Lord and Savior NoScript?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Heard of yes, never got around to trying it.

I've been using Chrome for the past several months just to force myself to learn the interface, I suppose that's good enough reason to switch back to Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Have you heard of our Lord and Savior NoScript?
    Been using NoScript ever since the days of Rick Rolling becoming a rampant craze. Been what, 9 years now since the first Rick Roll trend?

Heard of yes, never got around to trying it.

I've been using Chrome for the past several months just to force myself to learn the interface, I suppose that's good enough reason to switch back to Firefox.
    The only problem with NoScript is credit card transactions and knowing which domains need to be whitelisted and when to reload the page. I got it wrong once and doubled up a $300 Newegg order.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Getting a site delisted from googles "this site is spoopy" list is a pita

group of us run a filehosting website and some spaff uploaded a PDF that pinged localhost or something (???) and it took us a week of shouting at google support to get the warning turned off

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Getting a site delisted from googles "this site is spoopy" list is a pita

group of us run a filehosting website and some spaff uploaded a PDF that pinged localhost or something (???) and it took us a week of shouting at google support to get the warning turned off
    Sanitize your database inputs. In this case, your users.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...lmost-a-month/
    Version 5.33 of the CCleaner app offered for download between August 15 and September 12 was modified to include the Floxif malware, according to a report published by Cisco Talos

The affected software (CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191) has been installed on 2.27M machines from its inception up until now
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I still don't get why people use CCleaner.
    Some say it's because the defrag tool is better then the default windows, but what does it do better?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

No idea, this is just another reason to use the tools that come with your OS, or use a better OS if you find the official tools lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I exclusicvely use the registry cleaning part of CCleaner, because I can't be arsed to walk down the ClassIDs myself and find out which component is no longer present and can be deleted and things like that.

Everything else it does/offers is better done by myself. That ofc implies you know what you're doing.

And yes, meanwhile the onboard Windows tools seem to do a decent job. CCleaner in a nutshell is that registry cleaning mechanic + Win's Disk Cleaner. I know there are other reg cleaners out there and I would drop CCleaner in a second, if Windows itself offered some similar registry maintenance tool. Although the Win tools often lack the detailed information to let me decide, if that shit should be cleaned up or is there for a reason.

What is the benefit of cleaning the registry?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Version 5.33 of the CCleaner app offered for download between August 15 and September 12 was modified to include the Floxif malware, according to a report published by Cisco Talos

The affected software (CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191) has been installed on 2.27M machines from its inception up until now
    LOL I might have to recheck my sister's computer then.
    I went through this guide https://decentsecurity.com/#/holiday-tasks/ which advises for a ccleaner pass to reduce the number of files you'll be scanning later on.

Fakedit : and it was edited today to replace ccleaner with bleachbit.

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post

Absolutely none

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post

LOL I might have to recheck my sister's computer then.
    I went through this guide https://decentsecurity.com/#/holiday-tasks/ which advises for a ccleaner pass to reduce the number of files you'll be scanning later on.

Fakedit : and it was edited today to replace ccleaner with bleachbit.
    Wasn't it only 32bit versions of CCleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    German efficiency, ofc. I like it clean and tidy.

There's a couple of (potential) issues that it solves/prevents. And no, it's not about performance. It's about getting rid off dead entries in the Uninstall section, because an uninstaller didn't work properly. Missing shell extensions that might still show up in the conext menus. COM references that no longer exist and stuff like.