hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 36 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 702

Thread: What would it take to get you to re-sub ?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Posts
    55

    What would it take to get you to re-sub ?

    After watching the "undocking with Prom" stream the other day I came very close to re-subbing. I found all my alts , got my credit card out but I just couldn't do it. On the back of my mind I couldn't stop thinking about all the reasons I quit playing in the first place and how none of them appear to have changed really. So it got me thinking what is it exactly I would want them to fix in order to get me to re-sub. What follows is a list of changes I'd be interested in (you may not agree with them) but I'd be interested to see why others quit and what would make you re-sub.

    The main thing I hated about the game was having to spend hours grinding (arguably the worst) pve content to then jump in blind to and get blobbed or falconed to death. Ultimately a very bad grind/fun ratio.
    Changes I would want then revolve around revolve around enabling solo pvp.

    - Allowing you to see what's on the other side of a gate so you don't have to jump in blind or buy an alt account.
    - Easier to make money from pvp, something like you get an automatic 20% isk bounty of the value of the ship you destroyed (split across number of people on the KM).
    - Have insurance scale with the number of people in your fleet and number of people on your loss mail. I.e. if you die solo to a fleet of 50 you'd get 90% payout , If you die solo vs solo you get next to nothing. This way removes the anger of just being blobbed to death and the feeling of completely wasting your time for no fun.
    - Remove ECM, seriously ffs I don't care if its balanced or not for fleets as a solo player its boring as sin and makes me not want to play

    So what changes would make you come back and play ?

  2. #2
    W0lf Crendraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27, 2012
    Location
    The United
    Posts
    8,970
    Quote Originally Posted by james1122 View Post
    After watching the "undocking with Prom" stream the other day I came very close to re-subbing. I found all my alts , got my credit card out but I just couldn't do it. On the back of my mind I couldn't stop thinking about all the reasons I quit playing in the first place and how none of them appear to have changed really. So it got me thinking what is it exactly I would want them to fix in order to get me to re-sub. What follows is a list of changes I'd be interested in (you may not agree with them) but I'd be interested to see why others quit and what would make you re-sub.

    The main thing I hated about the game was having to spend hours grinding (arguably the worst) pve content to then jump in blind to and get blobbed or falconed to death. Ultimately a very bad grind/fun ratio.
    Changes I would want then revolve around revolve around enabling solo pvp.

    - Allowing you to see what's on the other side of a gate so you don't have to jump in blind or buy an alt account.
    - Easier to make money from pvp, something like you get an automatic 20% isk bounty of the value of the ship you destroyed (split across number of people on the KM).
    - Have insurance scale with the number of people in your fleet and number of people on your loss mail. I.e. if you die solo to a fleet of 50 you'd get 90% payout , If you die solo vs solo you get next to nothing. This way removes the anger of just being blobbed to death and the feeling of completely wasting your time for no fun.
    - Remove ECM, seriously ffs I don't care if its balanced or not for fleets as a solo player its boring as sin and makes me not want to play

    So what changes would make you come back and play ?
    So in general you want to be less poor?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

  3. #3
    progodlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Snuffed out
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by james1122 View Post
    After watching the "undocking with Prom" stream the other day I came very close to re-subbing. I found all my alts , got my credit card out but I just couldn't do it. On the back of my mind I couldn't stop thinking about all the reasons I quit playing in the first place and how none of them appear to have changed really. So it got me thinking what is it exactly I would want them to fix in order to get me to re-sub. What follows is a list of changes I'd be interested in (you may not agree with them) but I'd be interested to see why others quit and what would make you re-sub.

    The main thing I hated about the game was having to spend hours grinding (arguably the worst) pve content to then jump in blind to and get blobbed or falconed to death. Ultimately a very bad grind/fun ratio.
    Changes I would want then revolve around revolve around enabling solo pvp.

    - Allowing you to see what's on the other side of a gate so you don't have to jump in blind or buy an alt account.
    - Easier to make money from pvp, something like you get an automatic 20% isk bounty of the value of the ship you destroyed (split across number of people on the KM).
    - Have insurance scale with the number of people in your fleet and number of people on your loss mail. I.e. if you die solo to a fleet of 50 you'd get 90% payout , If you die solo vs solo you get next to nothing. This way removes the anger of just being blobbed to death and the feeling of completely wasting your time for no fun.
    - Remove ECM, seriously ffs I don't care if its balanced or not for fleets as a solo player its boring as sin and makes me not want to play

    So what changes would make you come back and play ?
    Dude I don't think EVE is a game meant for you.

    Solo is a niche game play in EVE, it is fun for the people who do it and there is a place for soloing in this game, but ultimately it is not the primary design of the game mechanics. If you can't come to terms with that, then yea I'm not really sure why you played so long in the first place.

    All of your ideas are fucking terrible btw.

  4. #4
    Smuggo
    Guest
    The price of PLEX is so high now it makes sense to just sell a GTC every now and then to fund your play rather than grind the terribad PVE. Or do FW where you can make isk and find pvp at the same time.

    Edit to add: fuck ECM

  5. #5
    W0lf Crendraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27, 2012
    Location
    The United
    Posts
    8,970
    Or do tourneys and swim in isk.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

  6. #6
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    19,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    The price of PLEX is so high now it makes sense to just sell a GTC every now and then to fund your play rather than grind the terribad PVE. Or do FW where you can make isk and find pvp at the same time.

    Edit to add: fuck ECM
    I used to say fuck ECM but recently I embraced the bad and have had a ton of fun using an ecm algos and watching people get mad as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  7. #7
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    The price of PLEX is so high now it makes sense to just sell a GTC every now and then to fund your play rather than grind the terribad PVE. Or do FW where you can make isk and find pvp at the same time.

    Edit to add: fuck ECM
    I used to say fuck ECM but recently I embraced the bad and have had a ton of fun using an ecm algos and watching people get mad as fuck.
    ...m8

  8. #8
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    19,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    The price of PLEX is so high now it makes sense to just sell a GTC every now and then to fund your play rather than grind the terribad PVE. Or do FW where you can make isk and find pvp at the same time.

    Edit to add: fuck ECM
    I used to say fuck ECM but recently I embraced the bad and have had a ton of fun using an ecm algos and watching people get mad as fuck.
    ...m8
    Slaves don't deserve better tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    October 19, 2014
    Posts
    1,355
    I love using ECM especially because the person gets so mad.
    "Last night I saw upon the stair
    A little man who wasn’t there
    He wasn’t there again today
    Oh, how I wish he’d go away"

  10. #10
    Longdrinks's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 10, 2011
    Location
    CONFEDERATION OF XXPIZZAXX
    Posts
    1,402
    Winners never quit

    https://zkillboard.com/character/195872744/ have a look to see all the fun im having in eve. If you arent having fun in eve you`re probably bad at eve. Please better yourself.

  11. #11
    tHornton's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    Posts
    5,569
    remove sub and i might log in now and again




  12. #12
    W0lf Crendraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27, 2012
    Location
    The United
    Posts
    8,970
    An actual serious repy, enjoying eve, i think, isnt so much about how the game is as it is about who you play with or who you play against.

    As a solo player no matter the state of the game as ccp can make it it all comes down to how the enemys fight me. If i get tons of truesolo 1v1 or 1v2s and fight the occasional engageable gang i will have fun - even if the meta is shit. If the meta is great and i only meet blobs who force me to warp into their plex, refuse to fight without links and recons and so on i wont have much fun as a solo player. CCP can only give players a push, its a sandbox mmo and if null is stale and super boring its due to the players mostly.

    And the same is true for people who dont solo, although having fun corp m8s and having fun chatting with them on ts can make bad gameplay fun even if you are just shipsping.


    If you play eve, find a corp to fly with. Solo is shit, always was shit and should never be your endgame. Small gangs of 2-5 people is where eve is at its greatest.

    (i know thats very hypocritical coming from as as i solo most times, but thats due to me being super lazy and playing for 20 minutes at a time or so or being super afk)



    Alternatively, join a tournament team, its extremely fun gameplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

  13. #13
    Armyofme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Teddybears.
    Posts
    1,413
    Have never left
    State of low sec atm is so good that it will probably be a while before i leave as well, and with the changes to links it will make things even more fun for me those days when i go out solo.

    phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

  14. #14

    Join Date
    October 23, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,793
    I will never sub EVE again. There are two major reasons for that, that cannot be seen completely separately.

    1) Price: Yes I'm "poor" enough that paying 10+ Euro per month is a lot when I compare it to other free games and free other activities I can engage in that are equally fun (or even more so).

    2) Non-casual game play: I'm the type that has played EVE as "Counter-Strike in space", so I just want to log in, get some action and log out again. However to do that, I need to get Isk, for which I need to either pay cash or spend time on things I don't enjoy. On top of that, I need to spend time getting ships / fittings / etc moved (or spend more Isk to buy locally, which means spending more time making Isk) and spend time actually getting some action (cuz it's hardly guaranteed upon login). The more casual you play, the more time actually gets spent in side activities because you lag behind your friends / the action / the current meta, so you need to spend time to catch up.

    The combination of these issues is what really stops me from getting stuck back in. I need to pay AND then spend time doing things I don't enjoy to get to the good stuff, and once I paid, I feel like I need to make the most of that RL money I spent which makes it less casual then the game already is. This makes it very easy to not bother with EVE and do other stuff instead.

    If EVE were to ever turn F2P, I would actually occasionally play. I'd feel a lot more free to play whenever I feel like it, mostly just playing cheap and lean using my old reserves to slow burn and just making some money whenever I feel like it instead of a constant pressure to make Isk for PLEX or expensive ships. CCP can probably forget about me spending any cash on them in a F2P scenario, but I'd at least be content in some way.
    - don't confuse the fact that I like to be right with the rumours that I actually might be -

    (DaDutchDude is in EVE hibernation in Some Random Corporation)

  15. #15
    Smuggo
    Guest
    I'd play more if they expanded the opportunities for me to show off my space Barbies.

  16. #16
    Jade Constantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    318
    Every now and then I activate a plex to train a few skills and buy a new faction battleship because of nostalgia and to see what they've done to the client. By and large I like the cosmetic and interface changes and the game does seem nice and smooth and playable. Its still a bit of a sore point seeing the aurum bullshit microtransactions and captains quarters with zero content mind. But to actually re-sub and come back to playing properly its going to need some significant philosophical change in direction from the development team - war decs version 3 that rolls back the giant alliance protection that the goons got a fews years ago - and a proper intent from the devs to literally annihilate the ability for the super moon-goo / renter outfits to suck the fun from nullsec. It needs something like an existential threat to sovereignty and static power structures. Even if it means saying to the Goons - yeah guys you won eve, congrats - now we're re-writing sovereignty and nullsec systems to pretty much pull the rug out from under you and reset the playing board. Significant changes basically - aim a disintegration ray at the notion that many is always better than quality - grapple with the issues of time dilation as a hard counter to operational momentum. Introduce gameplay systems that actively punish the Napoleonic mass firing line approach to fleet warfare and turn it into a messier more chaotic but far more diffused system where individual ship piloting matters more again. Give individuals the ability to tell stories again and break the monopoly of the super alliances in relevance.

    Some of this might happen naturally if the goon leadership gets bored / pissed off / gets old and/or fucks off out of eve.

    Maybe CCP will get some backbone and deal with the issues if their subs get dangerously low.

    But to make the game interesting again you need to invest time and effort into coming up with corporate ethos background, approach and unique ways of playing the game to sell a group of friends and recruits on. Its difficult to do that when the end game is a monoculture of cynical boredom-inspiring hegemony that exists with the tacit and uncritical acknowledge/support of the development team. The lack of originality / opportunity and ability to tell the great stories that eve was once known for is today's main problem.

    Ofc. I don't rule out plexing for a month or so of lowsec FW craziness - sometimes that's pretty therapeutic and makes a nice change from fighting russians at Dota2
    Last edited by Jade Constantine; December 3 2015 at 03:18:15 PM.

    Nothing ever burns down by itself

  17. #17

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    246
    The reason that I have quit over the years is because it eventually became a second job and I actually worried about having to log in.
    Getting burned out doing logistics, so you leave for FW, which leads to...
    Every time you log in get spammed by others asking if you are running a fleet through lo sec so you move to a small corp, which leads to...
    or the worst was when my interest was waning and I was only logging in about 1/2 a week, with a CEO giving you shit for not being active enough.
    I remember I created an alt that I told no one about so that I could just log in and do what ever I wanted.

    Thing is that, is there another game out there that scratches the itch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn
    Nope.

    user was banned for this lock

  18. #18
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    19,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    The reason that I have quit over the years is because it eventually became a second job and I actually worried about having to log in.
    Getting burned out doing logistics, so you leave for FW, which leads to...
    Every time you log in get spammed by others asking if you are running a fleet through lo sec so you move to a small corp, which leads to...
    or the worst was when my interest was waning and I was only logging in about 1/2 a week, with a CEO giving you shit for not being active enough.
    I remember I created an alt that I told no one about so that I could just log in and do what ever I wanted.

    Thing is that, is there another game out there that scratches the itch?
    Sounds as if you played with shitters tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  19. #19
    Jade Constantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    318
    Lol yeah the logistics in eve literally the worst - but ironically probably something that added extra spice to the wars. I know in Star Fraction once we'd all spent 5-6 days moving 100 freighters worth of ships and bits and ammo and god knows what from one base to another so we could kick over some regressive space tyrants in the target system it certainly focused the mind and meant we really didn't want to lose and have to move again. The effort in prep was probably one of those things that makes Eve wars seem real and hardcore - and removing it would make it less serious. As for another game that scratches the itch - I find Dota2 scratches a small unit fc itch if you play with a 5 stack on comms (as did world of tanks for a bit) - but there's honestly nothing that currently does war and politics to the same degree and probably likely never will be. No game that has instances will ever allow you to fight a war like a single persistent server does.

    Nothing ever burns down by itself

  20. #20
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    The reason that I have quit over the years is because it eventually became a second job and I actually worried about having to log in.
    Getting burned out doing logistics, so you leave for FW, which leads to...
    Every time you log in get spammed by others asking if you are running a fleet through lo sec so you move to a small corp, which leads to...
    or the worst was when my interest was waning and I was only logging in about 1/2 a week, with a CEO giving you shit for not being active enough.
    I remember I created an alt that I told no one about so that I could just log in and do what ever I wanted.

    Thing is that, is there another game out there that scratches the itch?
    Sounds as if you played with shitters tbh.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •