hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TMA no/low carb diets

Smuggo
    One good tip I learned is that if you put cauliflower in a blender and dry blend to it ends up in lots of tiny bits it can make a good low carb substitute for rice.

Also avoid fruit juice, it's another great example of stuff that is high calorie but mostly sugars and it doesn't fill you up. Eating a much smaller amount of fruit gives you all the goodness and more, fills you up and actually has way less calories.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    One good tip I learned is that if you put cauliflower in a blender and dry blend to it ends up in lots of tiny bits it can make a good low carb substitute for rice.

Also avoid fruit juice, it's another great example of stuff that is high calorie but mostly sugars and it doesn't fill you up. Eating a much smaller amount of fruit gives you all the goodness and more, fills you up and actually has way less calories.
    i generally do avoid fruit juice but the cauliflower thing is a no go as it makes me retch i haaaate the stuff.

Smuggo
    ?

m8 it's good and not particularly strong flavoured. By the time it is swimming in curry sauce or whatever you won't even know.

Cauliflower smells like farts but I still like the taste.

Do I like tasting farts? Is this a problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    tma: wholemeal carbs

Placebo or good alternative ?

Poasting from my couch
    Wholemeal contains all of the healthy stuff from the cereals instead of only the milled grains which is regular flour.
    The glycemic index of wholemeal is also lower which means the body needs more time to turn the carbs into energy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index); meaning that you stay saturated longer.
    Granted, it does taste different, but itīs definitely a consideration when you want to live "healthy".

Smuggo
    Tastes better really, dunno why some people have an aversion to wholemeal when white bread is just flavourless shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Tastes better really, dunno why some people have an aversion to wholemeal when white bread is just flavourless shit.
    I never understood it either. Is white bread more sugary or something?
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

If you still have your gallstones/bladder intact, stay the fuck away from fatty/greasy stuff since its quite the trigger for the incredibly painful gallstones to start jarring up (you probably know this).
    My lowcarbing was generally bacon/porkchops/meaty stuff which resulted in an avalanche of shit since my gallbladder has left the building 8 years ago, meaning the gall gets direct injection into your bowels and instead of breaking down fat in the stomach it also breaks down fat in the lower intestine, fat being the crucial element in binding your shit together (literally), so you more or less get enemas from your own body (when eating too much fat).

I found I was just too lazy to lowcarb properly since most of it (if not into salads) needs to be cooked or heat treated in some way. Which means I have to spend time in the kitchen instead of the computer, which isnt how this fat nerd rolls.
    Not to mention after about a year of lowcarbing (and losing some 20ish kg) i was so fuckign tired of lowcarbfood i went back into a "normal" unhealthy diet and gained it all back in the space of a year and a half.
    If you do have a little breakdown in the diet and go on a sweet sugary goodness break for a day or two, it shows almost immidiatly on your scales. So my personal experience is that lowcarb, while highly effective to loose weight, is rather temporary unless you stick to the diet.

Now though i'm on another get less fat project. Got a rowing ergo device, changed bread for crispbread, drink lots of tea.
    Feeling a bit peckish? A pint of delicious tea will keep the worst hunger away until you get to a proper meal instead of snacking.
    Stopped snacking almost completely and using the rowing device 3-4 times a week. Lost 3 kg in the last two weeks, 5 kg since i started this.
    Not blindly following a diet, but the little excercise and not eating enourmous amount of sweets certainly helps me.
    Compared to my earlier lowcarbing, this certainly seems more stable and more sustainable. I can have a go at pastries without seeing an immediate effect on the scales the day after and in theory, my general physical fitness should increase.

Another diet i've been pondering is to only stocking up on food i dislike. Thus preventing me from eating giant portions. Example: I make myself some curry, i'll eat to the point of bursting. I'll make some disgusting dish based on mutton, i'll eat just enough to not be hungry and leave it at that. A natural way of limiting calorie-intake (this is just barely tried, but you're welcome to test it out ).

I've probably made a rambling incoherent post, but my point was; lowcarbs is probably bad as long as you got gallstones, its gonna lead to a lot of runny poos after you get it removed.
    Excercise a little and stop eating the most sugary sweets and tone down on bread/taters goes a long way.

Ps. as one fatty (with gallstone issues) to another; i'll race you if some competition will keep your spirits up.

Best

Poasting from my couch
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Donor
    Depends if you trust your bakery.
    Many (esp. the cheap ones) use premade dough with dark food coloring and splash some oats and grains onto it.

Better, also should give sarabando some proper rool britaanien feels

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

Christmas is the only time I eat sprouts. They literally taste like farts smell. Moreso than cauliflower, cabbage or any other veg. Eating sprouts is like eating farts.

Does anyone else empathise with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post

Christmas is the only time I eat sprouts. They literally taste like farts smell. Moreso than cauliflower, cabbage or any other veg. Eating sprouts is like eating farts.

No, Communist, sprouts are great. A tiny bit of butter and pepper.

Cruciferous Vegetables in general are wonderful for 'filler', vitamins, and fibre.

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post

I think you mean they taste of amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    I found I was just too lazy to lowcarb properly since most of it (if not into salads) needs to be cooked or heat treated in some way. Which means I have to spend time in the kitchen instead of the computer, which isnt how this fat nerd rolls.
    This, as I have already mentioned, is one of my main challenges as well. Luckily for me, the new Guild Wars 2 expansion has ruined the game and Elite Dangerous is not something I can spend too long at in a single session as I'm currently halfway across the galaxy with nothing to do but keep exploring. Nothing else is grabbing my attention at the moment so the kitchen is kinda winning by default.

Not to mention after about a year of lowcarbing (and losing some 20ish kg) i was so fuckign tired of lowcarbfood i went back into a "normal" unhealthy diet and gained it all back in the space of a year and a half.
    If you do have a little breakdown in the diet and go on a sweet sugary goodness break for a day or two, it shows almost immidiatly on your scales. So my personal experience is that lowcarb, while highly effective to loose weight, is rather temporary unless you stick to the diet.
    Yeah, I've heard that too; I guess the trick then is to make the change a permanent one. Which on one hand sounds imposing, but on the other, for me it's either that or be a permanent fatty. vOv

Yeah, well bacon is good and all, but perma lowcarbing is just too much effort.
    Current plan is to add some excercise and perhaps boost the musclemass and thereby the metabolism a bit so i can eat more freely.
    Each to their own ofc and you gotta find the thing that suits yourself, plenty of ways to lose weight, finding the motivation and trick that suits you is the hardest part.

Achievment whoring nerds might find some motivation in making "achivements" for themselves. like, do 5 pushups without dying, do 10 pushups without dying. do 2000 cumulative pushups over time etc etc etc.

Maybe theres some stupid app for this to put on your phone.

Yeah, well bacon is good and all, but perma lowcarbing is just too much effort.
    Current plan is to add some excercise and perhaps boost the musclemass and thereby the metabolism a bit so i can eat more freely.
    Each to their own ofc and you gotta find the thing that suits yourself, plenty of ways to lose weight, finding the motivation and trick that suits you is the hardest part.

Achievment whoring nerds might find some motivation in making "achivements" for themselves. like, do 5 pushups without dying, do 10 pushups without dying. do 2000 cumulative pushups over time etc etc etc.

Maybe theres some stupid app for this to put on your phone.
    Myfitnesspal for counting calories and I use Simple Workout on Android to track how injured I get over time as all progress completely disappears.

gym is gettin easier lunch portions (even though salad) is down 50% 1 small roll is the only bread ive eaten in 3 weeks. also had an attack monday night and was off work tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    gym is gettin easier lunch portions (even though salad) is down 50% 1 small roll is the only bread ive eaten in 3 weeks. also had an attack monday night and was off work tuesday
    And your weight?

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    And your weight?
    I've moved from "falling through floorboards" to "akward sound of wood under stress"