hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TMA no/low carb diets

I like your units of measurement m8

:tappin dat talk:
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post

I used the stairmaster thingy at the gym today and tbh i was not feeling comfortable on it i could feel it shifting in a bad way its one of the worst things about being a fatty living up to this stereotype of breaking chairs etc/

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post

I used the stairmaster thingy at the gym today and tbh i was not feeling comfortable on it i could feel it shifting in a bad way its one of the worst things about being a fatty living up to this stereotype of breaking chairs etc/
    Ignore shitlords, get fit. Profit.

I'ma bamp this thread since I was just getting started with lowcarbing when it began, but I've learned so much since then and wanted to share.

The summary of my experience is this: lifelong fatty, peaking 3 years ago at 137kg/302lb, chronic chest pains, difficulty breathing, difficulty moving. Easter 2015 I decided that in spite of all my issues I would try walking to work again. Did that for 6 months, lost 5kg during that time. This was pretty much what always happened whenever I tried any kind of exercise; I'd lose a token amount only, and ultimately give up because the effort wasn't worth the results. But it was still better than dieting, where simply cutting calories was never sustainable for me because I was permahungry. And if being permahungry was to be a normal part of life, then perhaps death wouldn't be so bad after all; I probably wasn't too far away anyway, given the state I was in at that time.

But it did lead me to make a gym appointment for the first time in my life. To my surprise though, the guy there refused to sign me up, and sent me away with instructions to follow a low carb diet instead. After years of media beat-up about how "Atkins is a fad", "saturated fat is the devil" etc, then suddenly being told to do exactly that, I was confused and furious as fuck. Eventually I decided that the only way I could prove this guy wrong was to try it. And bugger me, it worked better than I ever could have dreamed.

In the 15 months from October 2015 to December 2016, I lost another 50kg/111lb to reach my goal of 82kg/180lb. My appetite naturally corrected itself in the first few months, so I never went hungry at all. 2017 was my first year of maintenance, which lasted for about 8 months, before carb creep (+5kg) + new less friendly scales (+3kg) saw me climb to 90kg/199lb last Christmas. I've since reset back to full-on keto this year plus the introduction of 16:8 intermittent fasting and am so far back to 87.5kg/193lb. The clear personal lesson for me being that I remain insulin-resistant/carb-intolerant even now, so I intend to stay eating this way for the rest of my life.

These days my diet consists typically of meat and veges (no root veges) for lunch and dinner. I used to have eggs for breakfast but now that I'm skipping breakfast with the IF, they're now my variety option for when I don't feel like prepping a full meal, which is usually on weekends. It's all mostly just real food, but I will also eat certain processed foods with a sufficiently low carb count, like spam for example. Yes I had a problem with food variety at first, but I have enough options now for different meals every day of the week, so it's not so bad now.

Now, at no point have I ever claimed that lowcarb is the only solution everyone needs, because that's clearly not the case. If CICO didn't at least have some merit, there would be no such thing as Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig etc. But for those of us for whom CICO cannot work because our metabolism is sufficiently messed up to prevent it from working, I will say based on my own experience that lowcarb is both effective and sustainable. It's easy for me to eat less now, because I don't get hungry so much anymore. Lowcarb is great at enabling CICO for those of us who need enabling.

If I had one piece of advice for anyone on how to get started, I would say do it with the support of a professional - a doctor and/or dietician - but do it with someone who's open to the lowcarb concept. I don't know what it's like elsewhere in the world, but here in NZ dieticians are required to uphold a certain ethical code that basically says two things: firstly always look to improve your methods, keep up with the science and be the best you can be etc, and secondly follow the official dietary guidelines. But since the science and the guidelines don't always align, some professionals go one way and some go the other. Don't be afraid to shop around for the help you need.
    Last edited by Ben Derindar; February 2 2018 at 08:23:14 PM.

Gud stuffs :3
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

My gym does 8-week challenges so I signed up. Their web site comes with meal plans which I noticed are all high protein, low carb meals.
    Lost almost 1kg just this week so it seems to be working. Only problem is that the ingredients are hella expensive. I guess eating healthy isn't cheap.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    My gym does 8-week challenges so I signed up. Their web site comes with meal plans which I noticed are all high protein, low carb meals.
    Lost almost 1kg just this week so it seems to be working. Only problem is that the ingredients are hella expensive. I guess eating healthy isn't cheap.
    What sort of meals are they proposing? I'm always on the lookout for more ideas.

On a per meal basis I would agree, it's very easy to spend a lot of money eating this way. I've read through a couple of keto cookbooks and while I got a couple of ideas from them, most of the recipes had like 10-15 ingredients, many of which were exotic/expensive/effort. That was actually my main dilemma, coming up with meal ideas that were simple enough. But as far as cost goes, I figure it balances out in two ways:

1. Meals keep you fuller for longer. You can have a plate of pasta for lunch and be hungry again in 3 hours, or you can have a plate of pork belly and be hungry again in 6. To really compare the two for cost, you'd have to add in whatever snack you had after the pasta to keep you going to dinner.

2. If you're in as bad a state as I was, associated healthcare costs will go down as your situation improves. I had a few trips to the ED over the years, and of course lots of doctor's appointments, all of which are history now. I'm also driving my car a lot less than before, because I'm now able to walk to work and back every day so much more easily, so I'm saving on parking and fuel there as well.

I'm lucky in that my work has a cafeteria with a buffet, so I can lunch there most days picking the best options from whatever's available on the day. Dinners I do make myself at home, and I usually stick to a day-of-the-week routine, only mixing it up to prevent having similar things for lunch and dinner on the same day. Sounds boring maybe, but it means no more wondering "what do I have tonight". My default round looks like this:

Monday: bunless burgers (lettuce instead of bun). Easy to make, few dishes, no point in making Mondays worse than they already are.

Tuesday: mince with courgette, half a can of tomatoes and some mushrooms. This started off as a kind of fake spaghetti bolognaise, with the spiralised courgette replacing the spaghetti, but over time I got lazy and now I just cook the lot in a single pot.

Wednesday: salmon and spinach, both of which are fried in olive oil in that order, served with aioli.

Thursday: stir fry chicken, also done in olive oil. Cut up a chicken breast, fry the pieces, then fry 1/4 bag of veges. Just a little soy sauce for flavour at the end.

Friday: steak with mushrooms and mashed cauli. I just chuck the mushrooms in with the steak once it's nearly done and they cook in the steak fat. Caulimash is a great substitute for potato too.

Saturday: omelettes filled with tuna and cheese for lunch. Dinner is KFC; this is a big surprise for many, but original recipe pieces are actually pretty lowcarb. They are however not cooked in the right kind of fat, so I consider them a treat on that basis.

Sunday: scrambled eggs with sausages for lunch. Dinner is a can of vege soup usually with chopped bits of spam, just to ensure I get at least some veges in during the weekend.

The only stuff I would consider a little pricey there would be the salmon, steak and KFC. I know there are other lowcarb fast food options like bunless burgers from some burger chains but I can make my own burgers at home, and Subway has good meat and salad options but I tend to have a lot of that sort of thing at the lunch buffet.

Diet Doctor is a pretty good online resource for lowcarb recipes, ideas from which helped me put my own meal plan together. Though I personally tend to avoid the imitation-type stuff like keto bread, keto pizza etc because it just makes me crave the real thing.
    Last edited by Ben Derindar; February 4 2018 at 04:42:02 PM.

PMed you a link to their web site.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Am 9kg down from this time last year, so that's, what, 20lb? The 8-week challenge got me to drop my body fat by 4% so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    Am 9kg down from this time last year, so that's, what, 20lb? The 8-week challenge got me to drop my body fat by 4% so there's that.
    There or thereabouts. GJ.

Had ramen last night, then laksa for lunch. Gym was really, really easy compared to normally.

Carbo loading is real.

just noticed this

was fat whole life, then, at 35, started training martial arts. from 112kilos got down to 90, with a LOT of muscular growth.
    but then i hit the wall, i found an equilibrium of energy input and expediture, and i was not able to break that fuckin 89 kilos barrier.

tried keto stuff, and it was awesome. in a month or two, together with lost water, got down to 84 kilos. counted my macros, but not the calories
    But, then my body adapted, and the loss stopped. which sucked

keto really is a pain in the ass, ESPECIALLY if your gf, whom you're living with, is not only not into it, but is basically addicted to chocolate.
    Also, i commute to work, and no mess hall here, so feeding myself is a massive, massive pain. also, trying to live off of veggies and meat is note really sustainable during the winter. thinking of giving it a go now wen veggies are in season again, i'd fucking LOVE to be under 80kilos...
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot

Quote Originally Posted by shoki View Post
    just noticed this

was fat whole life, then, at 35, started training martial arts. from 112kilos got down to 90, with a LOT of muscular growth.
    but then i hit the wall, i found an equilibrium of energy input and expediture, and i was not able to break that fuckin 89 kilos barrier.

tried keto stuff, and it was awesome. in a month or two, together with lost water, got down to 84 kilos. counted my macros, but not the calories
    But, then my body adapted, and the loss stopped. which sucked

keto really is a pain in the ass, ESPECIALLY if your gf, whom you're living with, is not only not into it, but is basically addicted to chocolate.
    Also, i commute to work, and no mess hall here, so feeding myself is a massive, massive pain. also, trying to live off of veggies and meat is note really sustainable during the winter. thinking of giving it a go now wen veggies are in season again, i'd fucking LOVE to be under 80kilos...
    How Tall are you?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    The foundation has no Mobile Task Force dedicated to the capture and containment of forum trolls.
    1. Dr. Bright is not allowed to found a new Mobile Task Force dedicated to the capture and containment of forum trolls.

When you got down to 84 kilos and plateaued did you reduce your calorie intake? Chances are your body didn't 'adapt' and you just balanced your CICO at your lower bodyweight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    i'd fucking LOVE to be under 80kilos...
    How Tall are you?
    This. Is there any particular reason for wanting to be under 80, aside from it being just a nice round number?

I'm 5'9"/175cm, so for me I'd need to be no more than 77kg to be considered a normal weight if you subscribe to BMI. But I seem to have settled naturally in the mid-80s for the last 18 months or so now, and considering I used to be mid-130s when I started, I'm still plenty happy with where I'm at.

If you are a real shorty and there is genuinely room for more loss, you might want to consider intermittent fasting. It's a technique whereby you eat within a defined time window every day, rather than grazing whenever you like. I've been doing 16:8 since January, meaning I go without food for 16 hours each day and eat within the other 8 hours only; simplest way to do it is by skipping breakfast and just having a lunch and dinner. You ideally want to be eating keto when you do eat though, otherwise you'll just get hungry when you don't, which will only make it harder.

I tried keto. I was just hungry all the time. Then i did the standard weight watchers my mum did, just counting cal intake and what i burned. Worked well. It was years ago but i went from 111 to 87 kilo's in no time altho it was mostly water due to meds.

Been physically sick due to a operation and back at 101 but i will get back on 85 or lower before years end. When i was younger i used to hover around 79. But im 37 now. Anyway at 183 cm; 85k or less should be a reasonable goal. Also considered i am a big build man bone wise.

For me its more about how i feel not the numbers in the scale, within the correct bmi.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    The foundation has no Mobile Task Force dedicated to the capture and containment of forum trolls.
    1. Dr. Bright is not allowed to found a new Mobile Task Force dedicated to the capture and containment of forum trolls.

I have like the opposite problem

190cm and never made it past 92kg regardless of how much I ate or worked out

I dont work out now and am at 87kg

Maybe it's lupus

Having a taller frame can have a surprising impact on the amount of calories you burn in a day.

My colleague is about 190cm and trying to bulk at the moment, he basically needs an additional decent sized meal every day to match my weight gain as a 182cm manlet.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Derindar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    i'd fucking LOVE to be under 80kilos...
    How Tall are you?
    This. Is there any particular reason for wanting to be under 80, aside from it being just a nice round number?

I'm 5'9"/175cm, so for me I'd need to be no more than 77kg to be considered a normal weight if you subscribe to BMI. But I seem to have settled naturally in the mid-80s for the last 18 months or so now, and considering I used to be mid-130s when I started, I'm still plenty happy with where I'm at.

If you are a real shorty and there is genuinely room for more loss, you might want to consider intermittent fasting. It's a technique whereby you eat within a defined time window every day, rather than grazing whenever you like. I've been doing 16:8 since January, meaning I go without food for 16 hours each day and eat within the other 8 hours only; simplest way to do it is by skipping breakfast and just having a lunch and dinner. You ideally want to be eating keto when you do eat though, otherwise you'll just get hungry when you don't, which will only make it harder.
    i'm 180cm (1cm margin), and currently (not in ketosis) holding on 86 kilos.
    I've gotten quite nicely muscular, i'm lucky i have broad shoulders, and my ass has gotten considerably smaller, but i still have love handles (belly fat) and some man-tits. which irks me to no fucking end.

Could be that my caloric needs got down, but it's more likely that i just got complacent and started eating too much

in any case, gonna get this another run, now that greenery is in season
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot

You could just eat less food until you start losing fat. It's not like you're obese and need a massive lifestyle change to half your bodyweight or anything.