hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TMA no/low carb diets

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    You could just eat less food until you start losing fat. It's not like you're obese and need a massive lifestyle change to half your bodyweight or anything.
    yeah, i think i'll do that for now, it's strawberry season, and fuck me if i miss strawberries
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot

I went low carb about 5 years ago. best thing I ever did.

I didn't expect it to work at all, but my fiance wanted to give it a try. So I lost about 14 cm around my belly over the first two months.
    But apart from that, there were alot of interesting changes. I've always had problems with my skin. dry skin and excema. A reputation for bad temper in the morning. A total slave to food, constantly hungry and always eating.
    All of that went away. I shit you not. Also my mental health (that I hadn't even realized was an issue) turned better. Much better. Without the constant ups and downs with my bouncing boodsugar, the dopamine levels sorted themselves outto a much mor stable level. That part alone would be worth the effort all over again.

After the initial withdrawals pass, it's realy not that hard since candy, soda and stuff realy starts to taste gross as your tastebuds get readjusted to food not drenched in sugar. The hardest part was ditching bread.
    If you worry about missing strawberries or somethign like that, have a cheat day once a week. one day will not mess up your system. And it realy helps to keep cravings at bay when you get the idea of pancakes stuck in your head for example.

Yeah, it's interesting the sort of non-scale victories you can get with this way of eating. The weight was the primary thing for me, but I've also noticed I can now concentrate at work for longer, sometimes skipping breaks etc.

One woman I know was not in a good way at all; as well as being overweight she had angina, high BP, and all the anxiety type issues that often come with these symptoms. She was on a daily cocktail of meds and seeing her doc every few weeks. A year after I saw her, not only had she lost 20kg, but she was off all but one of her meds and her doc visits had reduced to every few months.

The wife of a friend of mine got into keto independently of me about 3 months ago and she's lost about 12kg so far. Hubby tried it mainly to support her and is surprised to find he's losing the same amount as well. He's stoked with what he's losing, but the thing that's amazed her the the most is that her anxiety/depression/mood swings have really improved as well, which she wasn't expecting at all. She might even be able to return to work someday.

Cheats are kind of an individual thing in my experience. I've read books that allow up to 3 cheat meals a week, but I notice it straight away whenever I try even one, so I just abstain from that sort of thing completely. It's easier for me to think of carbs not quite like an allergy, but certainly an intolerance, and that's usually the word that works best when people try and offer me something unsuitable in social situations etc.
    Last edited by Ben Derindar; May 22 2018 at 07:42:39 PM.

Losing weight and having a better diet does wonders for a wide variety of endocrinology problems and mental health. That isn't unique to low carb diets. Going low carb is just one of many ways of sorting shitty eating habits and paying attention to micronutrients.

Low carb is one of the most annoying cults on the internet.

edit: I am not trolling here, to respond to the negrep:

An obese woman losing 20kg of fat would completely change her hormone profiles no matter how it was achieved. Fat is an active organ which affects the endocrine system and by extension your mood. Losing 20kg also places less stress on joints, leading to a reduction in daily pain and the obvious increase in happiness as a result. People who follow ketogenic diets almost always end up getting better micronutrient coverage than their previous diets, mainly because people who resort to keto had such disordered eating originally they were incredibly unhealthy. Micronutrient deficiency contributes to moods and general wellbeing.

Keto isn't magic, it isn't a miracle cure (unless you are an epileptic kid) and it shouldn't be advertised as necessary to cut out entire food groups from your diet in order to lose weight. It's just nutritional extremism.
    Last edited by Keckers; May 23 2018 at 09:43:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

As long as people lose weight does it really matter which diet they use?

Down 18kg since november by just eating less and avoiding snacks and sweets (for the most part) and moderatly more exercise.
    Did try lowcarb 6-7 years back, but it was more effort than this, since you have to prepare all your meals and being lazy this eating less suits me better.
    In terms of weightloss over time i think the effect has been more or less the same, except now I'll just have to deal with being hungry for parts of the day.
    With lowcarb i was stuffing my face and still losing weight. Eventually though i was so sick and tired of the lowcarb meals i made that i went back to eating regular food and suddenly all the weight came right back.
    Time will tell if this change of diet will be more sustainable or not ( i think it is, but we'll see).

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post

Down 18kg since november by just eating less and avoiding snacks and sweets (for the most part) and moderatly more exercise.
    Did try lowcarb 6-7 years back, but it was more effort than this, since you have to prepare all your meals and being lazy this eating less suits me better.
    In terms of weightloss over time i think the effect has been more or less the same, except now I'll just have to deal with being hungry for parts of the day.
    With lowcarb i was stuffing my face and still losing weight. Eventually though i was so sick and tired of the lowcarb meals i made that i went back to eating regular food and suddenly all the weight came right back.
    Time will tell if this change of diet will be more sustainable or not ( i think it is, but we'll see).
    It matters if it restricts an entire food group and after they hit a weight goal they gain all the weight back because they don't want to have such a dietary restriction anymore.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

So I'll chip in a bit from a keto and Dr pov.

I've done keto and gym and lost 28.7kg in a year. And it felt awesome.

Then over 1-2 years I fell into depression and bad eating habits. Sweets, sugary drinks, carbs, you name it.

I've only ever gained back 5-8kg. So idk, honestly. As a Dr I don't really believe in changes to your metabolism brought up by dieting, but it sure af looks like it.

I do believe tho that the supermarket foods have too much sugar and salt in them and it artificially pumps up our daily calorie intake so cutting out stuff like bread doesn't really sound unreasonable.

Now luckily I'm better from all points of view and discovered I have a severe vitamin deficiency. So whilst sorting that out I'm slowly back to ketoing and gym (because it worked so well in the past). And the good feels are back, mental health improving at an amazing rate and I have energy again. Granted I still feel the aftermath of the extremely unhealthy binges I went through, but it is getting easier and easier and I still fit in slim pants so yay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I would say no, unless other health markers deteriorate at the same time while losing that weight. Are you really better off having lost weight if your HDL-C also drops or your triglycerides also climb?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Derindar View Post
    I would say no, unless other health markers deteriorate at the same time while losing that weight. Are you really better off having lost weight if your HDL-C also drops or your triglycerides also climb?
    This!

The "health" industry is full of diets that essentialy are self starvation. (Old school weight watchers. The banana diet etc.) and those have some realy bad effects on your overall health. So yea. It matters.
    I have a friend who lost some 40 kg on weight watchers. But his health, both mentaly and physicaly was a mess afterwards. It didn't take him long to gain it back.

What home made snacks for this btw? Just switching to keto and wondering what to make to munch on, I train quite a lot so figuring out what to have and when...

E: also vegan but there's some good high fat vegan cream cheese and yoghurt and stuff like that by me so that shouldn't be an issue :>

Thinking like energy ballz type things?
    Last edited by NoirAvlaa; May 29 2018 at 01:55:35 PM.

One other thing to bear in mind for people looking to lose weight, sleep is massively important especially if you are training at all while trying to lose weight. Even if you aren't it reduces stress, anxiety and other negative moods that contribute to disordered eating and poor appetite management.

Give yourself a 90 minute screen curfew before sleeping. Most people operate best on 11-7 or 10-6 sleep cycle. Blackout blinds also help with sleep quality if you struggle with tiredness.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    What home made snacks for this btw? Just switching to keto and wondering what to make to munch on, I train quite a lot so figuring out what to have and when...

E: also vegan but there's some good high fat vegan cream cheese and yoghurt and stuff like that by me so that shouldn't be an issue :>

How many carbs do you have to play about with? Are you low carb or no-carb?

Post/pre exercise dextrose is supposed to be pretty beneficial but I don't know how well that will fit into your macros. Low carb will probably suit you better if you have a lot of training because you'll be 'earning' your carbs anyway and they are a metabolically efficient means of getting energy.

Part of eating LC is about not eating as often, i.e. minimising snacking where possible. By all means eat to satiety when you're hungry, and make sure it's LC when you do, but if you're snacking habitually, that can be something else to work on.

I don't really snack at all anymore, although I will nibble on a few extras if the usual dinner isn't quite enough for me on any given day. Things like cherry tomatoes, certain nuts (macadamias!) I guess vegans can have in lieu of cheese, leftover cuts of meat, etc.

Anybody on low carb have problems with hydration? I've got a bodybuilder friend who goes very low carb as stage prep and his salt intake was surprisingly high in order to maintain hydration.

I don't do full on keto anymore because it's hard to eat socially when you're counting carbs but I still do intermittent fasting and yes, I get super thirsty sometimes especially when I wake up. Tell him to drink a cup of broth.
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; May 30 2018 at 11:36:11 PM.

How many carbs do you have to play about with? Are you low carb or no-carb?

Post/pre exercise dextrose is supposed to be pretty beneficial but I don't know how well that will fit into your macros. Low carb will probably suit you better if you have a lot of training because you'll be 'earning' your carbs anyway and they are a metabolically efficient means of getting energy.
    low carb, guessing around 40-50g/day would be fine considering how much I train? No idea about my macros, not really going that in depth, just generally aiming at it. Guessing for the moment it's basically berries, most nuts, dark chocolate. Looking at snacks because it's usually quite late until I get to eat again after lunch as I'm out all day, so basically something to give me enough energy for training, but not fill me up completely.

Anybody on low carb have problems with hydration? I've got a bodybuilder friend who goes very low carb as stage prep and his salt intake was surprisingly high in order to maintain hydration.
    when you drop into sharp ketosis, your kidneys dump a lot of electrolytes, so you need anything up to 500% of normal daily salt intake to recover afterwards.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Just switching to keto and wondering what to make to munch on, I train quite a lot so figuring out what to have and when...
    Once you run out of muscle glycogen (as well as liver glycogen which is expected if you are vaguely keto), you will really notice it when you do cardio. You will hit the wall hard within an hour. This is why I unashamedly eat a bacon and egg muffin on mornings I do cardio, because fuck that feeling.

As far as pre-workout goes, protein powder plus almond/coconut milk is common. I mean, you're going to be exercising, so why not kick off muscle protein synthesis right at the time when your body is most sensitive. Bonus points if you add some sneaky leucine, but if you're young you probably don't need to.

Fats (bulletproof coffee etc) are okay but if you're going to be immediately burning it with exercise, bias MCT rather than long-chain fats because MCT doesn't need to be metabolised further by your liver (especially if you overexert and start creating lactic acid - your liver can only do so much at once, and you're already causing it to create sugar for your brain anyway)
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Been chugging half my protein shake before training, half after, what's MCT?

Is it really a chug if it's only half?