hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82

Thread: TMA no/low carb diets

  1. #1
    Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke England
    Posts
    2,603

    TMA no/low carb diets

    So i have to have my Gallbladder out due to gall stones / being a bad.

    Now i am a hefty mother fucker see below.


    So my surgeon has told me that i need to unfuck myself before he will start cutting on me and has advised a no/lowcarb diet, now i love me sum bread, pasta etc and living at home with a mentally unstable mother whos very over protective of her kitchen is going to make things interesting.


    So what i need is advise on what i can do for lunches for work that are not just salad as i will literally kill myself if i have to eat that shit for the next 2 months.

    so any tips or suggestions for interesting meals?
    Last edited by sarabando; November 30 2015 at 11:43:55 AM.

  2. #2
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    16,522
    Firstly you need to have an understanding of how weight loss works and what makes restrictive diets effective.

    The biggest factor in determining weight loss and weight gain is diet and specifically calorie intake. If you eat less calories than you need for day to day life your body will start to 'burn' fat (and some other tissues too) in order to make up the energy deficit you are running. The fats get used for various energy processes and the by products are water and CO2, so essentially you breath out the weight you lose. Cool huh?

    So by restricting calories you will pretty much always lose weight, if you restrict them enough. The biggest trouble with obesity is that eating becomes habitual. Breaking habits is really tough. Continuing to eat the same food as before but eating less of it is difficult for many, simply because psychologically you are eating the same food but less, so you feel hungrier and shittier and generally like you are missing out.

    Big changes in diet (like cutting out food groups) seems ot be effective because it's a drastic change of dietary routine which seems to make the habits easier to break. It also usually allows you to cut out high calorie foods which don't fill you up and replace them with more filling foods. Usually carbohydrates are cut out because they are primarily an energy source with little other use in the body (protein is needed for cell repair and fats are needed for a plethora of things like hormone production and regulation).

    Protein sparing modified fasts are possibly the one diet that has a load of evidence behind being effective in accelerating fat loss https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protei..._Modified_Fast

    The biggest problem with just cutting out carbohydrates is not counting your calories. If you cut out carbs but still eat the same number of calories you won't lose weight (past perhaps some water weight as a result of the body switching metabolic pathways for ATP production). You really really need to count your calories.

    As for food to eat. Salads are obviously good since you don't have a large carby addition to them, soups are pretty good and are generally very filling too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  3. #3
    Donor
    Join Date
    November 30, 2011
    Posts
    216
    Salad and Steak all the way.

    i know some tasty low/no-carb dishes that i can post when im at home.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,146
    Meat - make a good cut of meat the core of your meal. Grilled/stir fry chicken or steak is my go-to. Don't buy anything breaded or go overboard with the portions obviously. You can put chicken in a salad or do a stir fry with veggies. You can probably put the stir fry on a SMALL amount of rice and hit your target, you have to count it out
    Greek yoghurt - NOT the kind that is 2/3 yoghurt and 1/3 pie filling. Read the label and get low/no sugar ones.
    Eggs - omelettes are good but go easy on the cheese. I love me some mushrooms, broccoli, and cheese omelettes
    No sugary/fizzy drinks! These are pure empty calories and aren't filling at all

    As Keckers said you have to count your calories. Most people get tons of excess calories by eating way too many carbs so focusing on cutting those out will get you on the right track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

    WoT: Redglare[VPG]

  5. #5
    Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke England
    Posts
    2,603
    All of this is good thanks. Its not my first rodeo so I'm well aware of cutting calories and upping my activity. What I'm really after is some recipes or meal ideas as I literally can't stomach boiled veg which being from an old school English family is the go to "healthy" food and eggs everyday gets boring.

  6. #6
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    16,522
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    All of this is good thanks. Its not my first rodeo so I'm well aware of cutting calories and upping my activity. What I'm really after is some recipes or meal ideas as I literally can't stomach boiled veg which being from an old school English family is the go to "healthy" food and eggs everyday gets boring.
    It may be useful to retrospectively look back on what didn't work or where you fell off the wagon in the past to help make this time the permanent change to your lifestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  7. #7
    Ben Derindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,542
    OP basically = me 1.5 months ago. Since then I've lost 6kg, and while there's still along way for me to go yet, I am enjoying being in the position of potentially having to shop for *smaller* clothes for the first time in my life.

    Here's a list of things you can and can't eat when going LCHF. This is what I'm following.

    Things I'm eating:

    Scrambled eggs most days for breakfast. I grate some cheese into mine for less bland.

    Most lunchtimes I go to the staff restaurant we have at my work, which has a different buffet menu every day. Basically I just pick the meat and veg options, excluding potatoes/bread/pasta.

    Dinner is the biggest challenge for me, especially as someone who doesn't really cook. But I'm forcing myself to learn by basically just keeping my fridge/freezer filled with more meat and veg and no more potatoes/bread/pasta.

    - If I haven't had scrambled eggs that morning, I'll make omelettes that night. I fill mine with cheese and also some canned tuna.
    - A couple of nights a week I dice up a chicken breast and stir fry with 1/4 bag of stir fry veg.
    - Vege soup is also good. I like to cut up some ham into tiny veg-sized chunks and add it in for extra flavour.
    - Bunless burgers. Burger patty + tomato + cheese, cook in oven, then wrap in lettuce leaf.
    - Mince with tomatoes, mushrooms + sour cream. Think nachoes without the nachoes.
    - Steak if you can afford it.

    Snacks for me are fruit, though some have a lot of fructose in them so too much can be counterproductive. Berries are generally OK.

    Seasonings and sauces, just check the carb count per 100g isn't too high and don't drown your food in it. If something isn't fatty enough to be cooked in its own juices, cook with butter.

    I drink pretty much water only, which I'm fine with as long as it's nice and cold. I bought an insulated stainless steel water bottle to keep with me at work. Cold water all day = win.

    Good luck. o7
    Last edited by Ben Derindar; November 30 2015 at 05:42:14 PM.

  8. #8
    Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke England
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    All of this is good thanks. Its not my first rodeo so I'm well aware of cutting calories and upping my activity. What I'm really after is some recipes or meal ideas as I literally can't stomach boiled veg which being from an old school English family is the go to "healthy" food and eggs everyday gets boring.
    It may be useful to retrospectively look back on what didn't work or where you fell off the wagon in the past to help make this time the permanent change to your lifestyle.
    injury and serious illness no falling off the wagon i was pushed lol.

  9. #9
    Donor
    Join Date
    November 30, 2011
    Posts
    216
    So, i tried to translate some recipes of our book. Have fun

    serves 2




    Fish burger with dip

    4 pcs. pollack or salmon filet
    splash of lemon juice
    0,5 tsp. cilantro powder
    1 tsp. bell pepper powder
    1 egg
    4 tbsp. oat flakes
    2 tbsp. chopped parsley
    4 tbsp. fried onions
    50g diced bacon
    salt, black pepper

    200g cottage cheese
    100g cream (10% fat)
    2 tsp. mustard
    1 tbsp. chopped dill
    salt, black pepper

    chop fish into small pieces, marinade in lemon juice, cilantro and pepper powder.
    add the egg and oats and put into blender.
    add parsley, fried onions and bacon, mix together
    devide into 6 parts and make burgers



    tomato burgers with herb quark

    1 small onion
    2 tomatoes
    250g minced beef
    1 tsp. cumin powder
    1 tsp. curry powder
    half loaf of mozzarella
    2 tsp. tomato paste
    1 egg
    6 tbsp. oat flakes
    salt, black pepper

    10 tbsp. quark
    2 tbsp. vinegar
    2 tbsp. chopped dill
    2 tbsp. chopped basil
    salt, black pepper

    chop onion and mozzarella into small pieces
    mix onion with beef, cumin and curry powder
    add mozzarella, egg and oat flakes
    knead together and make burgers




    camemtbert cream with vegetables

    125g camembert
    5 tbsp. cream (10%)
    1 small red onion
    0,5 tsp. bell pepper powder
    cumin, salt, black pepper
    chives

    assorted vegetables:
    3 turnip cabbages
    3 carrots
    half cucumber
    8 small tomatoes

    chop camambert into pieces and put with cream into blender
    add chives, bell pepper and cumin and mix together, season with salt and pepper

    chop vegetables into bite-sized pieces

  10. #10
    Selb's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Aldershot, UK
    Posts
    1,311
    I have a low carb cookbook called the harcombe diet which has some pretty good recipes, you can possibly pirate the e-book (or buy it).

    I love curry and rice, an alternative to that is grating a cauliflower and using it instead of rice. It takes a while to grate an entire cauliflower but it's really not a bad way to go, some cardamom pods, turmeric and you've got yourself pilau cauliflower rice.

    Burgers, obviously no bun but finely dice onion, mix in some hot horseradish with your mince cook.

    I can post a few more later if you want.

    Also get a fitbit or equivalent, really good to set goals for moving around and keep an eye on your progress.

  11. #11
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,943
    Basically this January I went full retard with weight loss. However, job and shit made it difficult to stick to gym and what not. However, managed to lose ~14kg since march (grew my hair back, that's another 1.5kg shaved lmao).

    Tl;dr to do:
    - eat meat;
    - eat salads;
    - do not fucking eat any carbs; yes, you'll feel like shit. However, your gall bladder/liver will thank you and the rate at which you'll lose weight will be astonishing;
    - exercise like a motherfucker.

    Literally if you don't have weights, get couple of 2l bottles of Coke, fill them up with sand and start lifting. Full body stuff example would be squat with them on the sides and curl to chest when getting up. Rinse and repeat x15 times, repeat 4 times.
    Last edited by Cosmin; December 2 2015 at 12:20:31 PM. Reason: speilling
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  12. #12
    Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke England
    Posts
    2,603
    went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a long time. Injury and illness has kept me away. I now ache ...alot. back again tomorrow.

  13. #13
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,943
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a long time. Injury and illness has kept me away. I now ache ...alot. back again tomorrow.
    You don't necessarily need to go to the gym to come back aching. Just take it easy, do not (ever) disregard warming up. Take as long as you need for that and remember nobody is judging you there - or at least they shouldn't and if they do fuck them.

    I found that exercise tolerance increases in time anyway, so there's no need going full retard the first 1-2-3 times and then quitting because ouchies.

    That being said, good luck in achieving your goals shouldn't be said. It takes a lot of patience and perseverance to keep it up and I trust anybody can summon it if poking gradually at the problem instead of just charging it
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  14. #14
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    16,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a long time. Injury and illness has kept me away. I now ache ...alot. back again tomorrow.
    You don't necessarily need to go to the gym to come back aching. Just take it easy, do not (ever) disregard warming up. Take as long as you need for that and remember nobody is judging you there - or at least they shouldn't and if they do fuck them.

    I found that exercise tolerance increases in time anyway, so there's no need going full retard the first 1-2-3 times and then quitting because ouchies.

    That being said, good luck in achieving your goals shouldn't be said. It takes a lot of patience and perseverance to keep it up and I trust anybody can summon it if poking gradually at the problem instead of just charging it
    Any new exercise done properly will probably leave you aching since it's a new movement. DOMS isn't anything to worry about
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  15. #15
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,943
    I was trying to advise exercising caution when he stated explicitly he did have an injury history. And DOMS doesn't set in until a while after the exercise, my advice was referring to the period immediately after leaving gym.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  16. #16
    Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke England
    Posts
    2,603
    nah its the day (s) after ache im having atm. Its all good i just pushed myself a little too hard. my old injury was my knee and foot so i was using machines doing back, arms and quads.

  17. #17
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    21,718
    tma: wholemeal carbs

    Placebo or good alternative ?


    Poasting from my couch
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

  18. #18
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    16,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Considering you should be getting 50% of your calories from carbs for a healthy balanced diet, and more like 5% from simple sugars, why not cut out all refined carbs (white pasta, breakfast cereals, crisps and so on) and have a bowl of lovely complex porridge for breakfast at least, throw in a handful of dried fruit of your choice or chop in a banana, to start off your day with something healthy? Cut out carbs from your main meal if you like. Cut out easily accessible sugars like fizzy pop and chocolate entirely, and limit fruit juice (so much super quick absorbing sugars in them). Eat fresh fruit more instead. If you don't like boiled veg, try roasting it for deliciousness. Seriously, roasted broccoli is immense. Excersise more. Id recommend getting a bike, as for the larger gentleman its strenuous while also non weight bearing so your knees wont get fucked.

    Odd temporary diet changes that are not sustainable are just going to lead to weight gain in the future. Carbs are fucking great if they are complex
    The idea is to enter a metabolic state called ketosis. If you can hack it then it's very effective but it's a pain in the ass and isn't for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  19. #19
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    London (Silphe ingame)
    Posts
    3,456
    I'd totally donate for a gastric band.

  20. #20
    Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24, 2011
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Devonshire
    Posts
    7,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Considering you should be getting 50% of your calories from carbs for a healthy balanced diet, and more like 5% from simple sugars, why not cut out all refined carbs (white pasta, breakfast cereals, crisps and so on) and have a bowl of lovely complex porridge for breakfast at least, throw in a handful of dried fruit of your choice or chop in a banana, to start off your day with something healthy? Cut out carbs from your main meal if you like. Cut out easily accessible sugars like fizzy pop and chocolate entirely, and limit fruit juice (so much super quick absorbing sugars in them). Eat fresh fruit more instead. If you don't like boiled veg, try roasting it for deliciousness. Seriously, roasted broccoli is immense. Excersise more. Id recommend getting a bike, as for the larger gentleman its strenuous while also non weight bearing so your knees wont get fucked.

    Odd temporary diet changes that are not sustainable are just going to lead to weight gain in the future. Carbs are fucking great if they are complex
    The idea is to enter a metabolic state called ketosis. If you can hack it then it's very effective but it's a pain in the ass and isn't for everyone.
    I was in ketosis for a period of time that I'm quite proud of.

    Then I ate a big fucking bowl of greasy chips

    What happened to my body in the following hours was awesome to say the least.

    I never imagined what the consequences might be.

    If you're not weirdly fascinated with your own metabolism like me, you really should let yourself down slowly and carefully


    Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •