hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Videos]New Player Guide[10/11/12th Video Added]

Ok, so I started with "Beginners Guide To EvE - Part 17 - PvP Dueling" from ~13hours ago.
    Intro's fine, Bob's mic's a bit shit, but the real problem is: ~2m25s I think you're totally wrong about being unable to dock after accepting a duel. Pretty certain you just get an LE, as you're explaining, but if you're not on a kickout station, I fully expect you can redock immediately, as you don't get a weapons timer.
    I've only ever known of weapons timers and standings to be things that prevent you from docking, regardless of what space you're in.
    It's a vital point for a newbie, because if they haven't set their client to decline all duels, and do accidentally accept one, they're not immediatly fucked as you describe, but instead can still dock/jump a gate, and flee from the single hostile that they can endeavour to ensure is stuck aggro'd other other side for 60secs.

FWIW, also you didn't show the duel popup for very long, and it's rather cluttered to a new player, so I think you should have either had Bob give you a few seconds to explain it, or edited after recording to give a brief voice-over to a freezeframe of it.
    And you might have wanted to do the demo on a station, either the actual market hub ones, or ones with identical models to those which newbies will become familiar with, or the actual hub ones on Sisi where it's quiet.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; December 1 2015 at 10:15:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Alright, I gave "Part 18 - Getting Ganked" a go too. Got ~2m45s in.
    I did a double-take when you said you'd leave explaining freighters for another vid, as this is the 18th one and you're going to apparently spend 8mins explaining miners getting ganked in highsec during near-afk-pve.
    To me it seems obvious and simple to just explain that freighters can carry billions of isk of cargo, but have few defence fitting options, and because all cargo & modules have a 50% change to drop, the gankers kill them on a purely business profit model. Not just for kicks, but because it costs them less in lost t1 ships with cheap fits than the likely loot drop value of people who over-pack/fit their big/shiny ships.
    Bam, big & simple general lesson for all situations: don't fly what you can't afford to lose. Don't haul/fit so much that you become worthwhile locating & ganking.

You could have presented the common t1 destroyers via ISIS/whateverthefuckccparecallingitnow to hugely aid newbies visually identifying such ships.
    You should have explained they use these because they're gunboats, typically 8 turrets, high dps:ehp ratio. And that they're t1 and so insurable (fake-edit: ccp stopped concord'd ships getting insurance payouts, right?).
    A minor point that maybe you should have clarified that the relationship between sec and CONCORD response timers is inverse. 1.0 is faster than 0.5.

As for the situation that was developing with you mining in a belt and explaining to leave when a dessy appears: give some spacial awareness! Zoom out, move the view, even use the camera to auto-pan to the freshly-selected dessy if you want. There's no point showing the static visual of a miner afk/piloting like a retard. Instead be showing them how to be proactive & reactive to the problem you're explaining.
    The head-down, grazing cow demo just shouldn't be happening.
    I get the strong impression you don't pvp, because the way you interact with the client, and have it set up (terrible overview for anything past the first vid imho), isn't teaching anyone any good habits, regardless of whether they want to spend most of their time mining, ratting, hauling or fighting.

P.S. you can right-click, clear the private chat you have with Bob before starting recording, to tidy things up.

Edit: call me a masochist, I started watching the click-bait titled "Looting Wrecks Is Bad".
    Again, you should have visual demos of the wreck types you're describing. Abuse Sisi, this shit is easy to generate.
    You mean free of consequences, not cost. A little pre-recording scripting time would probably solve these things.
    Your premise is wrong, continuing a negative theme to the series imho, that any generic action by a newbie is bad/wrong, rather than simply with consequences, potentially dangerous.

To me and many (including the devs), Eve is about risk:reward. Looting wrecks isn't bad, it's an excellent way for newbie to practice combat scanning and make a fast buck from lvl4 loot while they themselves can't yet fight or access such missions. Yellow wrecks should be a discussion centred on Suspect flags & mechanics, that's why they're colour-coded that way. I'd expect a description of finding the owner info of a wreck, checking if they're in local, add them as a contact to see if they're online, and then making the informed decision to take the loot or not (which iirc you can see and price-check on the market* before taking).
    * at some point you need to cover that some region's markets are mostly overpriced scam shit and people generally only trust prices very close in jump distance from market hubs.

I get you want to tell people what not to do to avoid a rapid series of mistakes. But I think you're wrong in your approach of simply listing what not to do, rather than demonstrating why not in some situations, and how to assess the situation to know when it is the reasonable thing to do.
    A newbie would love to see a suicide gank/wardeck camp gank happen besides them at some gate, they happen to have a chance to first inspect the loot of a deadspace module drop, and realise they should risk their t1 shitfit hull in grabbing it, jumping the gate to leave the aggro'd guys behind, and go stash the loot in a station while they wait out the 15mins of danger. It's an MMO ffs! Emergent gameplay shouldn't be just a pretty wallpaper passing them by!
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; December 1 2015 at 10:45:23 AM.

Well lol.

The point of the series is to protect new players, so they make their own mistakes, not to urge them to make them. In retrospect of get them into the game before the curve hits hard.

You see the videos as a vet, i get it, you're not viewing it as a potential person looking to play eve. Which you need to. Meh it's fine. Not everyone agree's on my videos but i have enuff subs are 19 days that i don't mind. I do other videos on other games, this is just one series. But i am making videos to protect new players. Not spoon feed them into the grinder so you have someone to shoot at.

Also you can ride the *risk vs reward* as most pvp pilots do but when pve pilots demand u get harsher sanctions for ganking or rr ships get suspect and have limited range or link ships get suspect and get limited range u instantly scream about *fairness*

PvP pilots like risk vs reward when it suits them

Hungo - 2003-2010 Mine
    BioNeb - 2003-2009 Mine
    New chars, mine

I have played for a VERY long time. Drivel is whining. period. You've not said one poisitive thing, just critism and elitism.

You're aren't protecting new players, you're mis-educating them and trying to insulate them away from the PVP MMO heart of the game.
    No carebear ever needed teaching how to fall more on the side of caution and to stick to mining and missioning for just one more week/month/year. They always need more of a push towards trying the MMO and PVP aspects. Encouragement from every angle towards joining a new corp with actual players & goals, daring to PVE in low/null/w-space once they understand why there's risks, inspiring towards taking their first fight in a ship they understand they can actually afford to lose.
    Not just being told not be curious about their chances should they even hazard a glance down the road not-most-padded.
    Why do you deny them anything but the most mediocre 'rewards' for their time playing?
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; December 1 2015 at 11:17:16 PM.

w/e mate, clearly ur the idiot putting dislikes my videos n quite frankly ur acting like a child. You're a typical idiot pvp pilot with a bad attitude just shut up

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evocationz View Post
    w/e mate, clearly ur the idiot putting dislikes my videos n quite frankly ur acting like a child. You're a typical idiot pvp pilot with a bad attitude just shut up
    He is putting effort into watching your drizzling shit videos, you come here to the home of bitter cunts and ask for advice then get pissy because you don't like the responses given.

Grow a pair and Fuck off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

w/e noobs w/e. Standard bullshit from pvp elitist pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

w/e noobs w/e. Standard bullshit from pvp elitist pricks.
    Sick burn, clearly as much effort in your insults as your horrible videos

keep hiding behind ur pc bro, lemem know when u wanna get ur ass kicked k?

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

So where did we get to with the being able to dock if you accept a duel? And the explaination of the overview setup & why it wasn't the first episode's focus?

I've never downvoted a YT ever iirc. I almost never log into my account on there, which is still separate from a google+ one iirc, and certainly not linked to my gmail one. I care about vids & social media that much...
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; December 2 2015 at 09:59:00 AM.

where would you like to do this?

Who's filming ?
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Who's filming ?
    whos your money on, i can mange one handed so i will film i guess

HAVE YOU NOT REALISED YET THIS IS A CESSPIT OF ASSHOLES AND YOU ARE POSTING HERE ASKING FOR ADVICE AND DANIEL IS ACTUALLY GIVING YOU SOLID ADVICE AND YOU ARE BEING A LITTLE CUNT ABOUT IT? IF YOU WANT LIKES PISS OFF ELSEWHERE. IF YOU WANT CRITICISM FUCKING TAKE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Who's filming ?
    whos your money on, i can mange one handed so i will film i guess
    I'll film with one hand if you know what i mean
    Lazarus for Mod!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    HAVE YOU NOT REALISED YET THIS IS A CESSPIT OF ASSHOLES AND YOU ARE POSTING HERE ASKING FOR ADVICE AND DANIEL IS ACTUALLY GIVING YOU SOLID ADVICE AND YOU ARE BEING A LITTLE CUNT ABOUT IT? IF YOU WANT LIKES PISS OFF ELSEWHERE. IF YOU WANT CRITICISM FUCKING TAKE IT.
    Not emptyquoting
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".