hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I learned about invention

What I learned about invention

Today I decided to read about invention and calculate potential profits, starting with commonly-exploded T2 modules. What I learned is honestly shocking. The modules with the highest profit margin are those with the shortest production times, because those are the ones that require the player to be logged in every 44 minutes (or whatever) to start new jobs. You can't queue manufacturing jobs past the limit of your laboratory operation or mass production skills.

The module prices are literally dictated by the difficulty of the interface.
    Skill training online: Daesis Wrack
    Everything else: Cosmic Osmo

Re: What I learned about invention

And which ones are those? Please, do share.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrack
    those with the shortest production times
    Skill training online: Daesis Wrack
    Everything else: Cosmic Osmo

Not surprising at all, since, capital is not really a limit, the limit to industry income lies in risk and click count.

so, spamming fast industry jobs is just as annoying as running Sanctums?

Poor, poor you.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

So you're telling me I have to make a spreadsheet on my own?

I already have a dozen, fuck this game...

My invention jobs take an hour, the production from those t2 bpc's takes 9 iirc. So I just spam invention jobs when I have the alt online and then produce at my leisure. Can leisurely produce 3-400 items a week, when I am poor, I ramp it up to 700-1000. Having 10 lab slots and 9 manufacturing jobs helps alot, so I can only assume those with basic skills are

Invention is not passive. Hauling datacores, and t2 production components to the jobs, hauling finished items to market, playing market games for both sale and buy orders, fuel runs (if you have a pos), etc etc etc. If I wasnt making about 45% profit per unit I wouldnt do it tbh.
    Victory!
    Battle: Himmelsdorf 12 August 2011 20:21:48
    Vehicle: BT-2
    Experience received: 4,760
    Credits received: 7,831

Like a boss!

45% is a meaningless metric.....

isk/hr plz

The biggest ballache about doing invention calculations is inputting the prices. I trained a char for it but never started doing it, but if there are decent profits to be made I might look into it again.

@ Wrack what invention tool did you use? I'm looking for a decent one.
    Last edited by kyrieee; July 9 2011 at 09:00:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin_getter View Post
    45% is a meaningless metric.....

isk/hr plz
    you gonna make another bad thread about it ?
    No longer Deleting all your posts erryday due to butthurt
    usually pink or pinkest flamingo in other games

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU
    http://eve.enviroweb.org/

Here is what I know about invention: clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclickclick aaaaaaaargh clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick so much goddamn clicking, aaaaaaargh clickclickclickclickclickclick

Also, I use eve-meep for calculating profitability and suchlike. It's pretty good, but kind of crashy.

Also also also, using isk/hr to evaluate the merits of industry is retarded because it implies a scaling that doesn't really exist. When I've got production in full flow, I spend a total of maybe 10 minutes per day click-click-clicking and make 300m - 700m in profit per week, depending on what I'm building and whether I put up my own sell orders or sell to Jita buy orders. You could say that corresponds to 250-600m/hr but that would imply that if I spent 20 minutes per day clicking, I'd get 500m-1.2b per hour, which is self-evidently nonsense; build and invention jobs take a specific amount of time, and once they've been queued up, I have no more slots with which to start new ones unless I go and buy a bunch of characters. Profit per slot per day is the relevant metric for industry.
    Last edited by Tafkat; July 11 2011 at 02:44:24 PM.

Are you making 700m / week with one production toon?

I have 3 invention/production characters and one who can only make BPCs. Could probably manage profits like that with two if you were dedicated and had a decent wodge of capital available to sink into some of the less accessible markets.

Jesus christ, almost everything in this game that makes a decent profit requires multiple characters. :rage:

Quote Originally Posted by ValorousBob View Post
    Jesus christ, almost everything in this game that makes a decent profit requires multiple characters. :rage:
    blame advanced lab op 5

Quote Originally Posted by kyrieee View Post
    @ Wrack what invention tool did you use? I'm looking for a decent one.
    Everything manually in Excel, unfortunately.

http://www.evetools.net/Invention.php

This is what I use, prices are slightly out of whack but it's good for an overall view, then I have a little spreadsheet setup to track what/how much I buy and what/how much I sell.

I don't do invention too seriously, mostly as a semi passive isk earner on my main.

I used this http://bp.kiwi.frubar.net/

just double check the prices

I had 4 production characters (2 could also invent) and 2 copy alts. Would churn out 400 x Mega Pulse II or whatever looked good at the time for a few hundred mil profit every ~2 1/2 days. Did it for a while but tbh freightering shit from jita, managing buy/sell orders to maximize profit and all the clicking gets to be a pain in the ass pretty quickly although if I had t2 bpos making mega bucks I'm sure I could handle it. I sold my characters after a few months and went back to doing lvl5s for my isk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Vercetti View Post
    http://www.evetools.net/Invention.php

This is what I use, prices are slightly out of whack but it's good for an overall view, then I have a little spreadsheet setup to track what/how much I buy and what/how much I sell.
    I use this too, it's pretty good (although yeah prices can be a bit off but that's to be expected)

I wanted a isk/hr measure because it is simply not worth it if it is too low, while if it is high then it is worthwhile training it on all my hisec residing toons and have them make money out of that before going into other activities. This doesn't have much to do with scalability.