hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 388 of 394 FirstFirst ... 288338378385386387388389390391 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,760 of 7877

Thread: The Shitposting Thread

  1. #7741
    Donor Verite Rendition's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Thoughts do count but if you go into ice hockey and demand it be turned into baseball then I am sorry but those people are clearly not getting the picture.
    Isn't that a bit disingenuous though? Ice Hockey is a structured game with a rule book to match. EVE is a sandbox; one that has some rules and mechanics, but is also left significantly unstructured to let people play as they see fit. EVE is meant to evolve and change. Ideally in a beneficial way, but just like evolution itself, it's not necessarily going in any specific direction.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

  2. #7742
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    SVN
    Posts
    8,021
    So we've had some fun the other night



  3. #7743
    Meester's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 25, 2011
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Thoughts do count but if you go into ice hockey and demand it be turned into baseball then I am sorry but those people are clearly not getting the picture.
    Isn't that a bit disingenuous though? Ice Hockey is a structured game with a rule book to match. EVE is a sandbox; one that has some rules and mechanics, but is also left significantly unstructured to let people play as they see fit. EVE is meant to evolve and change. Ideally in a beneficial way, but just like evolution itself, it's not necessarily going in any specific direction.
    I don't think it is disingenuous, if you try and make eve something it was never designed to be then it WILL fail. The premise of Eve is a sandbox and with that sandbox is PvP, total and uncompromising [to a degree, no murdering rookies in starter systems for instance]. If you start banning pvp in a pvp sandbox game for some inane reason then you break the sandbox. You stop the ability for players to target other players then it is no longer a sandbox pvp game. You may as well shut down the servers because what eve has been advertised as, is no longer true. Eve cannot work as a safe space game. I recognise cricket as a boring game where the main goal is to knock out the players so they can go back to drinking, I wouldn't suddenly go up to the people responsible for cricket and say, 'it must be something else'. If I want something more exciting, then it is there.


    Would ice hockey fans watch their game if it suddenly changed beyond all recognition because Eve would change if you made it less of a sandbox. But not beneficially. I have no idea why people like Alistair play a game and expect it to be something else when it is clearly advertised as a sandbox pvp game. I don't suicide gank, Im not even playing but I will defend the right for others to do it. Screaming about suicide ganking is dumb because there are plenty of ways to protect yourself, people just are too lazy and stupid to bother sometimes, they want other people to do the work for them. I have never been suicide ganked since 2004, this is because I don't paint a big target on me saying 'Shoot me' [also because I am a poor]. One tried but I was in a combat ship and killed him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

    Mate, High-Sec griefers aren't "villains", they're the gaming version of sociopathic mass shooters. People whose pleasure is derived directly from the displeasure of others, compounded by the others being unable to fight back.

    You'd let EVE die to retain that? Hate to break it to you, but 'advertising' to griefers will not save EVE mate.
    Personally I think that 'griefer' is a word that doesn't exist in eve online, people are free to suicide gank because eve is a sandbox game. I really have no idea why you think eve is something else.
    Calling gankers 'sociopathic mass shooters' could in itself be called sociopathic, gankers for the most part really aren't. Eve caters to many people and really it is changing tastes that means people are
    not playing eve and eve has always been niche and this is what has made it a success. Trying to appeal to a demographic that doesn't exist [by and large] is pointless.

  4. #7744
    Joshua Foiritain's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Thoughts do count but if you go into ice hockey and demand it be turned into baseball then I am sorry but those people are clearly not getting the picture.
    Isn't that a bit disingenuous though? Ice Hockey is a structured game with a rule book to match. EVE is a sandbox; one that has some rules and mechanics, but is also left significantly unstructured to let people play as they see fit. EVE is meant to evolve and change. Ideally in a beneficial way, but just like evolution itself, it's not necessarily going in any specific direction.
    I don't think it is disingenuous, if you try and make eve something it was never designed to be then it WILL fail. The premise of Eve is a sandbox and with that sandbox is PvP, total and uncompromising [to a degree, no murdering rookies in starter systems for instance]. If you start banning pvp in a pvp sandbox game for some inane reason then you break the sandbox. You stop the ability for players to target other players then it is no longer a sandbox pvp game. You may as well shut down the servers because what eve has been advertised as, is no longer true. Eve cannot work as a safe space game. I recognise cricket as a boring game where the main goal is to knock out the players so they can go back to drinking, I wouldn't suddenly go up to the people responsible for cricket and say, 'it must be something else'. If I want something more exciting, then it is there.


    Would ice hockey fans watch their game if it suddenly changed beyond all recognition because Eve would change if you made it less of a sandbox. But not beneficially. I have no idea why people like Alistair play a game and expect it to be something else when it is clearly advertised as a sandbox pvp game. I don't suicide gank, Im not even playing but I will defend the right for others to do it. Screaming about suicide ganking is dumb because there are plenty of ways to protect yourself, people just are too lazy and stupid to bother sometimes, they want other people to do the work for them. I have never been suicide ganked since 2004, this is because I don't paint a big target on me saying 'Shoot me' [also because I am a poor]. One tried but I was in a combat ship and killed him.


    Humans are designed to live in caves, moving beyond the cave was a mistake and now humanity will fail.



  5. #7745
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meester View Post
    Thoughts do count but if you go into ice hockey and demand it be turned into baseball then I am sorry but those people are clearly not getting the picture.
    Isn't that a bit disingenuous though? Ice Hockey is a structured game with a rule book to match. EVE is a sandbox; one that has some rules and mechanics, but is also left significantly unstructured to let people play as they see fit. EVE is meant to evolve and change. Ideally in a beneficial way, but just like evolution itself, it's not necessarily going in any specific direction.
    I don't think it is disingenuous, if you try and make eve something it was never designed to be then it WILL fail. The premise of Eve is a sandbox and with that sandbox is PvP, total and uncompromising [to a degree, no murdering rookies in starter systems for instance]. If you start banning pvp in a pvp sandbox game for some inane reason then you break the sandbox. You stop the ability for players to target other players then it is no longer a sandbox pvp game. You may as well shut down the servers because what eve has been advertised as, is no longer true. Eve cannot work as a safe space game. I recognise cricket as a boring game where the main goal is to knock out the players so they can go back to drinking, I wouldn't suddenly go up to the people responsible for cricket and say, 'it must be something else'. If I want something more exciting, then it is there.


    Would ice hockey fans watch their game if it suddenly changed beyond all recognition because Eve would change if you made it less of a sandbox. But not beneficially. I have no idea why people like Alistair play a game and expect it to be something else when it is clearly advertised as a sandbox pvp game. I don't suicide gank, Im not even playing but I will defend the right for others to do it. Screaming about suicide ganking is dumb because there are plenty of ways to protect yourself, people just are too lazy and stupid to bother sometimes, they want other people to do the work for them. I have never been suicide ganked since 2004, this is because I don't paint a big target on me saying 'Shoot me' [also because I am a poor]. One tried but I was in a combat ship and killed him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

    Mate, High-Sec griefers aren't "villains", they're the gaming version of sociopathic mass shooters. People whose pleasure is derived directly from the displeasure of others, compounded by the others being unable to fight back.

    You'd let EVE die to retain that? Hate to break it to you, but 'advertising' to griefers will not save EVE mate.
    Personally I think that 'griefer' is a word that doesn't exist in eve online, people are free to suicide gank because eve is a sandbox game. I really have no idea why you think eve is something else.
    Calling gankers 'sociopathic mass shooters' could in itself be called sociopathic, gankers for the most part really aren't. Eve caters to many people and really it is changing tastes that means people are
    not playing eve and eve has always been niche and this is what has made it a success. Trying to appeal to a demographic that doesn't exist [by and large] is pointless.
    It's hilarious that you think a few limitations in a small section of systems (High-Sec, but smaller) would "stop the ability for players to target other players" in a game with thousands of systems, the vast majority of whom would be free for all as to PvP, so much so that you would feel the entire game defiled, and worthy of shutdown. In the realm of hysterical hyperbole and overreaction, you sir take not just a cake, but a Titan-sized cake.

    EVE is a Sandbox, yes, but CCP provide a vast number of the sand particles that we play with in this sandbox, and all the rules we're limited by in playing with that sand. The idea that providing a more balanced PvE/PvP game would "kill EVE" is laughable, it could do nothing but help this flagging ultra niche title.

    Even funnier is your argument that PvE players are a "demographic that doesn't exist". On the contrary, in every way PvE is more popular everywhere in gaming than PvP. PvP, espcially the extreme-delayed graitification kind that we have in EVE, is niche. Battle Arena-On-Demand PvP along with PvE are mainstream and sustains MMO's. Adding only a small bit more PvE focussed gameplay and space is hardly killing your game, but you'd rather it die than lose suicide gankers, link scammers and war dec spammers against the harmless kittens that lead to their de-subs.

    Sadly, CCP is much like you, and that is one part of why their game is where it is, along with their ignoring the North American market.

    It's probably too late at this point, so such is life, but books could be written on the complete mismanagement and misdevelopment of EVE and the massive missed opportunity it was. A common tale in MMO's to be fair.
    Last edited by Alistair; February 1 2018 at 06:59:33 PM.
    This message is hidden because Don Rumata is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because Isyel is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because XenosisMk4 is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because Malcanis is on your ignore list.


  6. #7746
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    13,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Yesterday evening I was sitting in the barbers waiting for my haircut, and for some reason I got thinking about eve. Ended up checking the killboards of old corp mates, (some were still active which surprised me), thinking about the fleets I remembered etc. Had a pretty nice little nostalgic trip down memory lane for the game I definitely invested the most time in. Thought about my time in hisec, npc nullsec, first time my alliance took sov with help from nulli, time spent in stain, stints in lowsec and the few months I spent in FW etc.

    I always remember how odd it felt that in such a dynamic game the one constant was sec status. There was no fluidity in lowsec/hisec/nullsec boundaries. That seems a massive shame to me, a hugely missed opportunity. I think an introduction of variable sec boundaries which could be somewhat influence by players would be the one thing to get me back into the game.
    That should have been what faction warfare was about tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  7. #7747
    Straight Hustlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    10,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Yesterday evening I was sitting in the barbers waiting for my haircut, and for some reason I got thinking about eve. Ended up checking the killboards of old corp mates, (some were still active which surprised me), thinking about the fleets I remembered etc. Had a pretty nice little nostalgic trip down memory lane for the game I definitely invested the most time in. Thought about my time in hisec, npc nullsec, first time my alliance took sov with help from nulli, time spent in stain, stints in lowsec and the few months I spent in FW etc.

    I always remember how odd it felt that in such a dynamic game the one constant was sec status. There was no fluidity in lowsec/hisec/nullsec boundaries. That seems a massive shame to me, a hugely missed opportunity. I think an introduction of variable sec boundaries which could be somewhat influence by players would be the one thing to get me back into the game.
    That should have been what faction warfare was about tbh.
    Yep; Dynamic sec status could really spice things up, could probably even develop a slick concept for it for player owned space too.

    Hell you could really change the dynamics of nullsec by changing how everyone can dock in NPC 0.0 no matter their standing.

  8. #7748
    pesadelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    282
    What does protecting noobies has anything to do on how well eve is doing ?You can't kill players in newbie systems it is a bannable offence (or it was when I was pirating in hi-sec)

    Catering to the NA players ? What ?Iam in goons ,majority of players in goons at least to me seem NA .

    The eve vision still in my opinion is staying strong , they just need to give the players more shit do make the sandbox better.

    Better FW , Better PVE , add more niche gimmicks ships like the t3 destroiers (balanced) ,command destroiers etc.

    So you think capital is proliferation is cancer , introduce cruiser/bs size ships that can fit xl guns , make it so that a single frigate can't open a cyno to a super /titan etc .




    Enviado do meu SM-G900F através do Tapatalk

  9. #7749
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    15,071
    Yeah the answer to power creep is more power creep.

    Capital proliferation is an economic problem driven by mining creep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  10. #7750
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,203
    Quote Originally Posted by pesadelo View Post
    What does protecting noobies has anything to do on how well eve is doing ?You can't kill players in newbie systems it is a bannable offence (or it was when I was pirating in hi-sec)

    Catering to the NA players ? What ?Iam in goons ,majority of players in goons at least to me seem NA .

    The eve vision still in my opinion is staying strong , they just need to give the players more shit do make the sandbox better.

    Better FW , Better PVE , add more niche gimmicks ships like the t3 destroiers (balanced) ,command destroiers etc.

    So you think capital is proliferation is cancer , introduce cruiser/bs size ships that can fit xl guns , make it so that a single frigate can't open a cyno to a super /titan etc .




    Enviado do meu SM-G900F através do Tapatalk
    Not protecting noobs. Providing lawful (i.e. no non-consensual PvP) Space for dedicated PvE players. Oh, lets call it High-Sec, where law and order would reign.

    The EVE Server is a tomb is U.S. evenings. Please don;t try to tell me we have a robust NA player base because something something a few Goons.

    Yes, better FW, yes better PvE. Neither will mean anything if the population continues to decline.

    I won't comment on Caps, that's a whole shitstorm discussion of it's own.
    This message is hidden because Don Rumata is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because Isyel is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because XenosisMk4 is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because Malcanis is on your ignore list.


  11. #7751
    jimmychrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31, 2011
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    A generation of gamers raised on mobile games and we think a PVE revamp will recapture their attention?
    I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

    And you know what? It's not that most 20smth people today don't have the time to put in something as complex as EvE, they don't have the willingness to do it, because anything that's more complicated than "point crosshair and press LMB" and their brains BSOD. And I'm not a rose tinted glasses person, but I've had met (too many) early 20 people and spent time with them (too much time imho) and they're vertigo inducing just from all the mental aerobatics they're trying to do and fail to tie up any threads of thought they start. It's mind numbing and the amazing thing is that they have incredibly more information at their fingertips and the brains to process it all but the attention span of houseflies.

  12. #7752
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    13,729
    grrr young people hat young people
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  13. #7753
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,602
    Don't mind my ranting, I'm p. sure there are enough nerdy teenagers ready to learn something so niche and to wrap themselves up in it
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?©Doomchinchilla 2015

  14. #7754
    pesadelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pesadelo View Post
    What does protecting noobies has anything to do on how well eve is doing ?You can't kill players in newbie systems it is a bannable offence (or it was when I was pirating in hi-sec)

    Catering to the NA players ? What ?Iam in goons ,majority of players in goons at least to me seem NA .

    The eve vision still in my opinion is staying strong , they just need to give the players more shit do make the sandbox better.

    Better FW , Better PVE , add more niche gimmicks ships like the t3 destroiers (balanced) ,command destroiers etc.

    So you think capital is proliferation is cancer , introduce cruiser/bs size ships that can fit xl guns , make it so that a single frigate can't open a cyno to a super /titan etc .




    Enviado do meu SM-G900F através do Tapatalk
    Not protecting noobs. Providing lawful (i.e. no non-consensual PvP) Space for dedicated PvE players. Oh, lets call it High-Sec, where law and order would reign.

    The EVE Server is a tomb is U.S. evenings. Please don;t try to tell me we have a robust NA player base because something something a few Goons.

    Yes, better FW, yes better PvE. Neither will mean anything if the population continues to decline.

    I won't comment on Caps, that's a whole shitstorm discussion of it's own.
    Sorry Alistair if someday eve does what you say , that is the day more people will leave in droves , and I play on and off eve since 2014.

    I don't know what you are saying exactly about NA players !

    And eve now had a little downturn in concurrent users but it remained fairly stable from what I am seeing in eve ofline.



    Enviado do meu SM-G900F através do Tapatalk

  15. #7755
    CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25, 2011
    Location
    Matari Exodus
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Sadly, CCP is much like you, and that is one part of why their game is where it is, along with their ignoring the North American market.
    I don't understand this comment. I hear it from a few people now and again. How exactly are CCP ignoring the NA market? I'm not saying they aren't, but how? :idgi:

  16. #7756
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,203
    Quote Originally Posted by pesadelo View Post
    Sorry Alistair if someday eve does what you say , that is the day more people will leave in droves , and I play on and off eve since 2014.
    I doubt it.

    I've been active subbed since 2005 btw fwiw, albeit mostly inactive/PvE for years now.

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Sadly, CCP is much like you, and that is one part of why their game is where it is, along with their ignoring the North American market.
    I don't understand this comment. I hear it from a few people now and again. How exactly are CCP ignoring the NA market? I'm not saying they aren't, but how? :idgi:
    No advertising. No real outreach. No development aimed at NA playstles (i.e. my PvE argument).

    EvE is effectively a game for ultra-nerd Euros only. NA evening time (key play times in NA) the game is Zzzzzzzz and always has been.

    /shrug
    Last edited by Alistair; February 3 2018 at 03:51:07 PM.
    This message is hidden because Don Rumata is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because Isyel is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because XenosisMk4 is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because Malcanis is on your ignore list.


  17. #7757
    Marlona Sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    7,370
    I dare one of you to go to the official forums and Reddit and post your idea about there only being consensual wars and suicide ganking is no longer allowed so the game can get more players. Then report back with how many people said basically, "EVE doesn't need those kinds of players anyways."

  18. #7758
    Sacul's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    6,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pesadelo View Post
    Sorry Alistair if someday eve does what you say , that is the day more people will leave in droves , and I play on and off eve since 2014.
    I doubt it.

    I've been active subbed since 2005 btw fwiw, albeit mostly inactive/PvE for years now.

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Sadly, CCP is much like you, and that is one part of why their game is where it is, along with their ignoring the North American market.
    I don't understand this comment. I hear it from a few people now and again. How exactly are CCP ignoring the NA market? I'm not saying they aren't, but how? :idgi:
    No advertising. No real outreach. No development aimed at NA playstles (i.e. my PvE argument).

    EvE is effectively a game for ultra-nerd Euros only. NA evening time (key play times in NA) the game is Zzzzzzzz and always has been.

    /shrug
    East coast usa allways seemed pretty active to me. Started 2005 but with breaks longer than active playing. Quit again last summer.

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk

  19. #7759

    Join Date
    July 2, 2014
    Location
    CAS
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    No development aimed at NA playstles (i.e. my PvE argument).
    U wot m8? Are you saying PvE is the North American playstyle? How insulting.

  20. #7760
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    SVN
    Posts
    8,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli Stan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    No development aimed at NA playstles (i.e. my PvE argument).
    U wot m8? Are you saying PvE is the North American playstyle? How insulting.
    Actually US timezone people are weird. My industry mate told me all they do is buy shit from market and euros and others build all the stuff for them


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •