hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AT XIII Day 2 chat/prediction thread

Just looked at the schedule for next week and hooo boy. The Saturday spaceshipping starts at 14:00 eve time and the last match gets underway at 21:20. I like the tournament but... that's a hell of a lot of time to set aside to watch something. Really wish CCP had let this part of the tournament run for three weeks instead - breaking it up into 3-4 hour broadcasts would make it a lot less gruelling to follow and participate in. Given how smoothly this weekend's matches were pulled off, I think that having the early rounds done without the studio or commentary made sense; frankly, there were quite a lot of matches that weren't very interesting or fun to watch, even as someone with a deep interest in Eve tournament play. However, the quality of the matches will almost certainly increase significantly from here on out, and it's a shame that they're not going to be given a bit more breathing room when they're broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliventi View Post
    Camel is fielding a Malice. That's cool.
    No its not, same with hydra. Its pay to win in its purest form and that at ships are still allowed in the at is far worse then no duality and buggy sisi. It totally screws the starting position towards teams that have/can afford them severely.

Its like watching a cs:go tournament and the winners of past matches getting wallhacks only they can use.
    "Most people don't know shit about boxing"-Roger Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliventi View Post
    Camel is fielding a Malice. That's cool.
    No its not, same with hydra. Its pay to win in its purest form and that at ships are still allowed in the at is far worse then no duality and buggy sisi. It totally screws the starting position towards teams that have/can afford them severely.

Its like watching a cs:go tournament and the winners of past matches getting wallhacks only they can use.
    "Most people don't know shit about boxing"-Roger Mayweather

Is it possible this is some kind of loyalty test? You know: give the 'go code' and then recall to see who would actually go?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

All the commentators/write ups are a bit annoying as whenever someone brings a phoon setup its "and they brought a copy of the hydra/camel phoon setup" to quote an example "Most teams that aren't bringing tinkers are bringing a non Malice variant of the Warlords/Camel Fleet Typhoon setup". If anything everyone copied exodus (including hydra/camel) as they were the ones who brought that first, i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

All the commentators/write ups are a bit annoying as whenever someone brings a phoon setup its "and they brought a copy of the hydra/camel phoon setup" to quote an example "Most teams that aren't bringing tinkers are bringing a non Malice variant of the Warlords/Camel Fleet Typhoon setup". If anything everyone copied exodus (including hydra/camel) as they were the ones who brought that first, i think.
    You are right ofc wolf

Clearly all the teams were frantically f5'ing null-sec.com and grabbing their setups from the first days matches, instead of theorycrafting this shit for weeks.

I am humbled, and bow before your superior wisdom.

Bob, Woolf was making an example of things other commentators have said regarding the at. and using that example specifically to point out bias. I'm fairly confident that he doesn't think that camel / warlords copied anything from Exodus.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Wows website. Go to your stats page (it's something like profile) and search for other players .

Regardless, the commentators can't both say that people have been practising & theorycrafting for many weeks/months, and also claim that a significant number of decent teams instantly abandoned whatever their previous comps were in order to swap to 2 PFI, Eos, Oni, etc (which they've also somehow promptly & correctly assessed as being strong), rather than having reached the same comp on their own.

Or am I mistaken and was it a bunch of bads that turned up in copied setups and failed at using them? Coz I don't remember those outcomes from the matches I caught, teams of lower expectations were iirc in odder comps and losing reliably.
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I saw a lot of bads in setups where they seem to have copied a surface idea like "tinker" and just subbed in whatever ships their pilots like the most. But commentators almost always get shit wrong, Squeeble's stream kept insisting our Baahlgorns were full neut fit even though you could clearly see laser effects on the video. I listen to them for color and perspective but when it comes to technical details and theorycrafting they're flat wrong as often as they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Ass ass ass.

It's always funny listening to the commentary about your own fights, hearing the commentators get some things so badly wrong. I picked out a few things they said about our fight in particular that were straight up wrong, but then they get the same view and have to guess what's going on.

Squeebles commentary had anyone they pulled from the 'waiting' channel on TS, I don't think many of them had much pedigree.

IS-4, T110E5, T-54, E-50, IS-8, M103, T34, Type 59, M26 Pershing, AMX 13 90, KV-3, SU-122-44, AMX AC Mle. 1946, SU-101, T20, T71, T25/2, KV-1S, T21, Jgdpzr IV, Sherman E8, GW Panther, AMX 12t, M18, Stug III, T-50-2, T-34, PzIV, ELC AMX, Crusader, Covenanter, SU-26, T1, RenaultFT.

There where some weaker commentators, but Eldiablo, Zao and Sard have plenty of technical background. As you say yourself, commentating is hard. ( purely spectator wise I think AT commentary could be a lot more entertaining and insightful if setups where known fully before hand. But quite some things would need to change for that. )
    As a side note, I was actually quite surprised with how good zao was at commentating.

As for setups being contributed to teams. It's probably better off left unmentioned unless a team truly shows something new. Which we're not going to see on the first weekend anyway. And even then multiple teams will probably have tried some variant of it and perhaps didn't field it or couldn't make it work.

64 teams of each at least 12 people, and most teams presumably putting in 3-5 months of work. It's not really that unexpected that many teams will find the same or similar setups given that amount of time given the same rules and restrictions.
    I think the only setup that surprised most people was last years boom headshot arty sleips. I know at least we didn't think of it last year, and none of our practice partners flew it.

This first weekend the only truly different setups I've seen where the vox jams setup (Which I'm sure many teams will have their variant of) and the nightmare setup also from vox.

-edit-

also funniest commentating when you know the setup is still the agony vs exodus match with the commentators learning what a tinker is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wca4_hty9to
    Last edited by roigon; August 17 2015 at 10:30:26 PM.

I enjoyed:

Day One:

Hard Knocks v Explicit Alliance
    * You get to see some nice kiting of a blaster fleet in this

Brave v Easily Excited
    * A single 4 point ship decides the game, seconds after- brave loses a BS. So close!

Vox populi V 404 Alliance
    * nice use of an ECM setup, everything goes perfect for Vox in this

TNT V Waffles
    * Hilarious game. Where you can actually see some legit anchor FC kite to win. Scimitar pilot decides to hug vindicator- good times.

Triumverate Vs Dream Fleet
    * Tri Face stops a shield missile tinker with lots of domi neuting, and a drone comp. Very cool!

MIF Vs Nerfed Alliance
    * MIF fields an ECM tinker and is basically invulnerable the entire fight.

Togeather We Solo Vs Gone Critical
    * Ranged Tinker Warps in at 100K conspiracy

Methodical Alliance Vs. VoC
    * Huge Upset, was VoC DDos?

Black Legion vs Warlords
    * First AT ship shown of the turny

Tuskers Vs Quabec United Legions
    * Tuskers with some really strong play here, hyper dunk Quabec's logi early into the fight.

Scary Worm Hole Vs Gorgan
    * Gorgon Has some Nice Kiting here

WINNERS DAY 2
    Camel Empire Vs Agony Empire
    * Nice Use of AT ships

Castabouts Vs Gorgon
    * Nice kiting again by Gorgon, Geddon Pilot on Gorgon side choosing neuts carefully

Exodus Vs Out Of Sight
    * Always love seeing an Armor Damnation In a shield comp

Warlords Vs Methodical
    * AT Ships bois!

The Afterlife Vs Together we Solo
    * Great play by afterlife, and this bhaalgorn fit is gold: https://zkillboard.com/kill/48504647/

MIF vs Triumverate
    * Tri again with their really nice Drone Based Setup- Nice to see it win again

PFR Vs Brave
    * Style Points For Bringing Navy Apocs- And winning with them!

Test Vs Vox
    * Vox has the Sansha Style Points on maximum overload. Come out with a really nice and clean win with it as well. Nicely Done

TNT Vs Circle Of Two
    * Amateur. Anchoring on FC, and then Witness as an Orthrus and Worm go and boundary themselves.

PL Vs Nihilist Social Club
    * Catastrophic Failure of tinker

LOSERS DAY 2

Suddenly Space ships Vs. Alternate Allegiance
    * I love seeing Rooks One shot off the field.

Affirmative Vs The Bastards
    * Bastards High speed setup Dove the back line, and Assassinated Affirmatives Logi in under 60 seconds. Zoom Zoom.

Black Legion Vs. Verge Of Collapse
    * Assuming Their Harware Works, VoC Proves Why they still are a forced to be reckoned with. Can they craw through the losers to the finals???

Drop The Hammer Vs 404 Alliance
    * FUCK YAH MJD 420 NO SCOPE HEADSHOT DROP THE FUCKING HAMMER!!!!!!

Waffles Vs Brothers In Arms
    * Because of this Orthrus https://zkillboard.com/kill/48507613/ Killed by BLASTER ROKH!! Rokh style points!

A Band Apart Vs. The Explicit Alliance
    * Dual Back line rush. One side executes properly, the other... Needs Help FC

no love for shadow's brutal terror bombing of ncdot?

I missed that one! Thanks for reminding me!

I've been seeing TFI comps fielded for months with heavy rep droneswarm and sig tanking bombers.
    Granted there's a handful of teams who probably didn't come up with it themselves and are grabbing whatever appears on day one from the "premiere" teams, but if something works really well, it's very likely a lot of people are going to end up with similar versions of the same concept.

Example, ~6 Bombers, 1-2 CBC, ~2 BS, <something> - the amount of variations of that is just staggering.

Big surprise comp from last year was the machine setup, with a load of sentry ships setting drone assist to a ecm immune marauder in bastion. Very easy to fly, set drones to assist the marauder and then run away from everything.

Some team displayed on the first weekend but didn't execute well at all, then it was played to death, we even lost a quarter final match to camel when they used a paladin.

IS-4, T110E5, T-54, E-50, IS-8, M103, T34, Type 59, M26 Pershing, AMX 13 90, KV-3, SU-122-44, AMX AC Mle. 1946, SU-101, T20, T71, T25/2, KV-1S, T21, Jgdpzr IV, Sherman E8, GW Panther, AMX 12t, M18, Stug III, T-50-2, T-34, PzIV, ELC AMX, Crusader, Covenanter, SU-26, T1, RenaultFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessur View Post
    Castabouts Vs Gorgon
    * Nice kiting again by Gorgon, Geddon Pilot on Gorgon side choosing neuts carefully
    Geddon @zero at start of the match wasnt actually by choice.

What happened there was - we were p. shittily prepared. After bans half the ships from comp we decided to run was half-fit/no ammo/no implants. So we hastily fitted them, buying stuff in Jita on actual AT chars and everything (dat 600+mil IN mindlink, l0l). We asked the CCP GM duder to give us like 2 minutes tops (which they've always done before), and from what i understand he was like "nope, moving in 30 seconds, deal w/it". So after teleporting our Geddon pilot dropped a container w/ fury missiles for one of our other pilots and promptly became stuck (no module activation, no warp etc.) and was then warped @ zero to the arena because he didnt warp in time.

Generally watching day1/day2 is super worth it this year if you're at all into tourney
    Last edited by n0th; August 18 2015 at 08:34:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n0th View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessur View Post
    Castabouts Vs Gorgon
    Geddon @zero at start of the match wasnt actually by choice.

What happened there was - we were p. shittily prepared. After bans half the ships from comp we decided to run was half-fit/no ammo/no implants. So we hastily fitted them, buying stuff in Jita on actual AT chars and everything (dat 600+mil IN mindlink, l0l). We asked the CCP GM duder to give us like 2 minutes tops (which they've always done before), and from what i understand he was like "nope, moving in 30 seconds, deal w/it". So after teleporting our Geddon pilot dropped a container w/ fury missiles for one of our other pilots and promptly became stuck (no module activation, no warp etc.) and was then warped @ zero to the arena because he didnt warp in time.

Generally watching day1/day2 is super worth it this year if you're at all into tourney
    Holy shit, thanks for sharing the insane back story to go along eith the match. Seems like you guys squeezed off a pucker factor 8.5 victory.

CCP ran it on a very tight schedule last weekend. Especialy the time to talk tactics after landing on grid is very limited with some occasions having less than 1 minute between beeing teleported and the match starting. I hope they increase that for the next weekends (2-3 minutes would already make a world) and it was mainly due to running 2 systems at once.