hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 191 of 203 FirstFirst ... 91141181188189190191192193194201 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,820 of 4051

Thread: Stellaris - space grand strategy in space, from Paradox (in space).

Just rushed a neighbour who put a base on a 40+ tile system I wanted. 1 battle fought, war over, won both claims I put on him - no fight to the bitter end bs. p good change
    You should only be harsh when, as often happens, kindness proves useless.
    -Prince Eugene of Savoy

I definitely think the changes encourage small border wars. I'm not a fan of the war exhaustion system in the early game, seems like 1 major battle and you are already at 80%.

So this is on sale over the weekend.
    Worth a buy?

Why does it feel like a rethorical question now that i wrote it down?
    welp.

Anyone getting stomped by Marauders on their way to pillage some other empire in the early game? Seeing a lot of tears about this on the stellaris subreddit but unsure if real thing or sperglords sperging.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Anyone getting stomped by Marauders on their way to pillage some other empire in the early game? Seeing a lot of tears about this on the stellaris subreddit but unsure if real thing or sperglords sperging.
    if they have to pass through your system, that system gets a raping

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    I started just fucking next door to them. They're bullying me with extortions

Spoiler:
    Love it!

Got to the endgame on my first post patch round.

Here are my thoughts in no particular order.

The combat and war system within the game is vastly improved, as is the way you get territory. To take a system you have to fabricate a claim on it using influence (a la CK2), declare war and then occupy the system you have a claim on by taking the starbase. Early and mid game influence is easily the most important resource as you use around 60-100 per system to construct a starbase in one. The game also stops you from cherry picking systems by making any new starbases link to your current border and by spawning pirates constantly in any unclaimed system next to your borders.

Starbases are great. You can turn them into fortresses, fleet capacity boosters, energy producers, shipyards, spy outposts and all other kinds of shit. During a war they don't die but simply get occupied, and occupation means that all of the mining stations get flipped to whoever has the starbase. Its a great quality of life update, as rebuilding mining stations was super annoying previously.

The hyperlanes only thing is great. They did a good job at creating "space terrain" and allowing you to turtle at certain chokepoints with starbase fortresses and fortress worlds that have to be invaded to knock out the FTL inhibitor present on them. I also quite like the new orbital bombardment and army mechanics in general. Later on you get jump drives that you can use for a one off "hop" to a system. It takes 4 months to recharge so you have to be quite sparing with it and it never actually replaces your hyperdrives (you get a jump drive AND hyperdrive)

I found the new fleet manager tool useful, but extremely buggy. Half the time it added ships to the wrong fleet and created endless templates for no reason. Being able to have two different classes of the same hull in the same fleet was good though. I had a 100 corvette swarm late game that was 50 kinetic and 50 torp and I could make changes to the ship designs and upgrade the fleet with one button no problem.

I got the new midgame pirate crisis. Its pretty much the CK 2 mongol invasion. The pirates get a bunch of 20k stacks and go around and start taking shit. During this time they don't spawn any more troops and can't replace losses, so you have to wear them down. After a certain time the "Khan" gets assassinated and all of the territory they take gets split into various successor states that behave like normal empires. I thought it was pretty cool and much more flavorful than the boring unbidden. Outside of crisis mode the pirates send an 8k stack "raiding" at random points, which can be really shit in the early game, but I am honestly fine with considering they can't take systems outside of the crisis due to starbases being invulnerable.

In terms of value, the DLC is not worth it. I never got to the planet killers as they were gated behind 2 ascension perks, but the titan class ship and pirate crisis was not worth 15 quid imo. The patch that came with the DLC is well worth your time.

Not really my type of game but I recommended it to a friend two weeks ago.

He has now disappeared from the face of the earth in his adventures. I might have to reconsider getting this.

So far I've only gotten a little bit into the game, got destroyers, into my first war, I like the new war mechanics and that defenses are more effective but it's sort of annoying that you get so much attrition from losing periphery systems I had an AI enforce demands on me due to exhaustion without ever touching a populated world and and losing 6 fleet fights to me and winning zero. From my perspective I fought a perfect deep operations campaign baiting the AI into slogging through half a dozen unpopulated systems of little value to me other than to block his advance, only to meet him at the choke point to my core territory and crush his navy there. My economy was never effected and not a single populated world saw an enemy ship come within 4 jumps of them and yet the attrition was pushed to over 60%, and then to a hundred just taking back half of what he'd occupied while crushing his navy two more times, at which point the game just arbitrarily ended the war in his favor.

I think the system is a major improvement overall but it needed more playtesting before release, you'd think if they were going to copy war exhaustion from EUIV they'd at least do it right.

I agree that war exhaustion could use some fine tuning.

Imo the DLC is worth the price simply to support Paradox

Quote Originally Posted by Snottus View Post
    same, most of the free stuff is the best improvements in there and it's honestly nice that everyone get's the core improvements. I still wanted the DLC for the new civics like tomb world start and the OPC civic to play with, not to mention the 'pacifist' collosus that traps enemy worlds in permanent stasis shields looks hilariously trolly, can't wait to pull that one on some friends.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    same, most of the free stuff is the best improvements in there and it's honestly nice that everyone get's the core improvements. I still wanted the DLC for the new civics like tomb world start and the OPC civic to play with, not to mention the 'pacifist' collosus that traps enemy worlds in permanent stasis shields looks hilariously trolly, can't wait to pull that one on some friends.
    The Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton comes to mind when I think of the pacifist solution

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    Ur-Quan Kzer-Za approve of the slave shield.

Fuck, I must do a playthrough with them.

Stellaris now has 100% more Space Guantanimo
      Spoiler:
    You should only be harsh when, as often happens, kindness proves useless.
    -Prince Eugene of Savoy

Seems like the Marauders blatting everything en route to their target is a bug. There may also be some weirdness going on with war exhaustion: battles showing no enemy affecting your exhaustion but not your opponents.

Have bought the expansion but think I'll wait for the inevitable patch.

The Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton comes to mind when I think of the pacifist solution
    Such a cunty mechanic. I love it.

Started a new game. Post patch. Didn't read about any changes whatsoever. Cant split fleet and send them to unexplored spaces... ok. Realise expansion via outposts is easier (are they still called outposts?)... Starbases are different and confusing.... realise I'm tired and drunk. 10/10 will try again.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Ships are sooooooo slow now. I'm getting gang banged by two enemies that are on opposite sides of me. I need to maintain two fleets on both borders to respond quickly during conflicts because they're coordinating against me.

Fucking amazing expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post
    Ships are sooooooo slow now. I'm getting gang banged by two enemies that are on opposite sides of me. I need to maintain two fleets on both borders to respond quickly during conflicts because they're coordinating against me.

Fucking amazing expansion.
    it's almost as if it's specifically designed to prevent doom-stacking.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

i'm thinking of starting a game of this with the new update, is any of the DLC worth it content wise?

I was pretty set on getting apocalypse but the other ones?