hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 197 of 203 FirstFirst ... 97147187194195196197198199200 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,940 of 4051

Thread: Stellaris - space grand strategy in space, from Paradox (in space).

  1. #3921
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,733
    oh and corvettes with torps & ac's for your line, until you can get into BB's. then i'm going with 2 destroyers per battleship, all set to hold range, while keeping the corvette blob as a qrf fleet for within my empire, or to hop around systems and blow up stations when at war

  2. #3922
    Sp4m's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5, 2013
    Posts
    6,160
    You know what this game needs?

    ECM

  3. #3923

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    4,815
    Isn't that represented by auras?

  4. #3924
    Ophichius's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15, 2011
    Location
    Hedonistic Imperative
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations, I snatched Utopia and together with the Leviathan pack I should have everything I need. Any suggestions about map size and galaxy type? I always liked huge maps, but Ive never tried the spiral galaxies. Also any advice regarding starting race config would be nice
    Depends if you want to go tall (few highly-developed worlds, small empire) or wide (many less-developed worlds, sprawling empire). Tall is more of a challenge mode, but not impossible.

    For wide: The industrious trait (+15% mineral production) is pretty much a must-have, and can be offset with sedentary, which is a fairly benign penalty. If you don't care about diplomatic relations, you can take very strong + industrious for a cumulative 25% boost, and offset with sedentary, repugnant, and deviants (Alternately, sedentary, repugnant, and slow breeders. You gimp your start a bit in exchange for a stronger mid game.)

    For tall: Intelligent (+10% to all research output) and one of the natural <science> traits (+15% research to one field), plus sedentary to offset.

    Ethos: Authoritarian xenophobes have by far the fastest early expansion rate, at the expense of tending to piss off everyone around them. If you're going wide and can ramp mineral production fast enough, that won't matter because you'll have a big enough fleet to kick the crap out of them anyways. If you don't want to play space nazis however, the materialist and pacifist ethos both have good early bonuses. For a tall empire, fanatic materialist is practically a must, for the 10% research boost. One item to note: Ethos does affect tech drop rates, if you want weapons tech, being militarist helps. Robot techs crop up more frequently for materialists, and psionic tech for spiritualists.

    Civics: Mining guilds is pretty much mandatory, for the 10% empire-wide mineral income boost. Other good civics include technocracy (+1 research alternatives, lets you target specific techs more easily), functional architecture (Saves a lot of minerals on buildings, allowing for marginally faster expansion), corporate dominion (Lets you colonize with energy OR minerals, increases mid-game energy income), efficient bureaucracy (Good for fast early expansion, letting you hold more core systems)

    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    oh and corvettes with torps & ac's for your line, until you can get into BB's. then i'm going with 2 destroyers per battleship, all set to hold range, while keeping the corvette blob as a qrf fleet for within my empire, or to hop around systems and blow up stations when at war
    I'm fond of corvettes with disintegrators and missiles personally. Having the entire weapon load be shield piercing approximately halves enemy EHP, and missiles are universally > 100% efficient due to their damage bonus vs hull.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

  5. #3925
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations, I snatched Utopia and together with the Leviathan pack I should have everything I need. Any suggestions about map size and galaxy type? I always liked huge maps, but Ive never tried the spiral galaxies. Also any advice regarding starting race config would be nice
    Depends if you want to go tall (few highly-developed worlds, small empire) or wide (many less-developed worlds, sprawling empire). Tall is more of a challenge mode, but not impossible.

    For wide: The industrious trait (+15% mineral production) is pretty much a must-have, and can be offset with sedentary, which is a fairly benign penalty. If you don't care about diplomatic relations, you can take very strong + industrious for a cumulative 25% boost, and offset with sedentary, repugnant, and deviants (Alternately, sedentary, repugnant, and slow breeders. You gimp your start a bit in exchange for a stronger mid game.)

    For tall: Intelligent (+10% to all research output) and one of the natural <science> traits (+15% research to one field), plus sedentary to offset.

    Ethos: Authoritarian xenophobes have by far the fastest early expansion rate, at the expense of tending to piss off everyone around them. If you're going wide and can ramp mineral production fast enough, that won't matter because you'll have a big enough fleet to kick the crap out of them anyways. If you don't want to play space nazis however, the materialist and pacifist ethos both have good early bonuses. For a tall empire, fanatic materialist is practically a must, for the 10% research boost. One item to note: Ethos does affect tech drop rates, if you want weapons tech, being militarist helps. Robot techs crop up more frequently for materialists, and psionic tech for spiritualists.

    Civics: Mining guilds is pretty much mandatory, for the 10% empire-wide mineral income boost. Other good civics include technocracy (+1 research alternatives, lets you target specific techs more easily), functional architecture (Saves a lot of minerals on buildings, allowing for marginally faster expansion), corporate dominion (Lets you colonize with energy OR minerals, increases mid-game energy income), efficient bureaucracy (Good for fast early expansion, letting you hold more core systems)

    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    oh and corvettes with torps & ac's for your line, until you can get into BB's. then i'm going with 2 destroyers per battleship, all set to hold range, while keeping the corvette blob as a qrf fleet for within my empire, or to hop around systems and blow up stations when at war
    I'm fond of corvettes with disintegrators and missiles personally. Having the entire weapon load be shield piercing approximately halves enemy EHP, and missiles are universally > 100% efficient due to their damage bonus vs hull.
    i dont mind those either, but torps just volley people off the field, which can make a big difference if you're fighting a bunch of cruisers/bb's with them. otherwise i find you take too many losses. once you get evasion pretty high (armour/hull tank, as excess power translates into excess speed too) you can engage stupid odds if they don't have a lot of decent tracking weaponry

  6. #3926
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,938
    strike craft needs a buff tbh, traditionally they've served as the "heavy fleet" counter to light stuff, only they're outrun by fucking corvettes now. :/
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  7. #3927
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    strike craft needs a buff tbh, traditionally they've served as the "heavy fleet" counter to light stuff, only they're outrun by fucking corvettes now. :/
    yeah strike craft are utter shit tier at the moment. that's why i bring a light and pretty expendable destroyer screen for my bb's

  8. #3928
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    29,173
    has it ever not been shit? i think i missed something

  9. #3929
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,938
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    has it ever not been shit? i think i missed something
    from around 1.5 and until now bombers where, slot for slot the highest damage weapon system in the game bar none, they took 3-5 volleys to arrive yea, but it never mattered because your screen ships are getting pounded and once they got stuck in nothing lived.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  10. #3930

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NCdot
    Posts
    1,129
    Getting endless desynchs in MP. No mods, just vanilla. Pain in the hoop.

  11. #3931
    Tyrehl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    [STUGH] Rote Kapelle
    Posts
    3,703
    I'm 50 or so years into a game, trying to play wide but invest as much as I can in research. Going well so far, but I need some guidance:

    With regards to research only: when is it generally worth it to claim a system (without a planet)? I know that it's hard to calculate and depends on my current income and system / colony penalty. But for example should I consider systems with +3 science? I always get the +5 ones and above , but they are kind of rare.

    Also where I am there are literally 4 planets that aren't utterly shit for my species :/


    Another question: found a huge ring world that looks abandoned, but there is some form of defense (platforms?) around it, 5k power. Can't handle it for the time being, but once I'm ready should I focus on getting and maybe repairing it? It's on the edge of the map, so no one should be able to snatch it.
    Last edited by Tyrehl; March 15 2018 at 07:37:39 AM.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

  12. #3932
    Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7, 2011
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    I'm 50 or so years into a game, trying to play wide but invest as much as I can in research. Going well so far, but I need some guidance:

    With regards to research only: when is it generally worth it to claim a system (without a planet)? I know that it's hard to calculate and depends on my current income and system / colony penalty. But for example should I consider systems with +3 science? I always get the +5 ones and above , but they are kind of rare.

    Also where I am there are literally 4 planets that aren't utterly shit for my species :/


    Another question: found a huge ring world that looks abandoned, but there is some form of defense (platforms?) around it, 5k power. Can't handle it for the time being, but once I'm ready should I focus on getting and maybe repairing it? It's on the edge of the map, so no one should be able to snatch it.
    Playing wide you should be taking every system you can with anything other than energy with a few exceptions, you should be plopping trade hubs on all your planet systems especially with a low number of planets. Make a bee line for any Strategic resources, they are a massive source of energy and/or minerals through trade. Take black holes as a priority also for the +10 physics with the lab, I like to have shipyards on them to free up spots on planetary systems for more trade. The penalty for number of systems does not seem very harsh at all. Generally speaking tho I just expand aggressively as soon as the influence is available.

    If it is Sanctuary -
      Spoiler:

    It has a number of primitives inhabiting the ring world, you can do with them as you wish.


    Furthermore would'nt worry too much about habitibility if you need to expand just do it. With well managed factions anything above 50 should be cool if its close.
    Last edited by Skeptic; March 15 2018 at 12:21:22 PM.

  13. #3933

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    4,815
    I think next I'm going to play with the feudal civic. Not for the sake of efficiency, but because I want to see if I can play "wide" while maintaining a technical advantage.

  14. #3934
    Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7, 2011
    Posts
    473
    Its really easy atm because energy is not a thing so you can easily maintain the curator buff. If you don't find the curators early I would also argue that its worth sitting on Improbable Ceramics until you do get the buff running. Be sure to grab the +10% physics from the Crystalline entities early too.

  15. #3935
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,938
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  16. #3936
    Bentguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25, 2011
    Posts
    2,512
    ~2400 In my very hard singleplayer campaign, AI seems to be struggling with the new mechanics a bit, I am far and above the strongest empire. Syncretic bio empires/Driven assimilators seem hilariously OP compared to everything else. Being able to super specialize from the start is ridiculous.

  17. #3937
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,938
    AI empires get into starvation spirals that cripple them, basically they hit zero food and never ever recover.

    wait for the patch.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  18. #3938
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    AI empires get into starvation spirals that cripple them, basically they hit zero food and never ever recover.

    wait for the patch.
    Still playing 2.01 because I didn't want to deal with the outpost maintenance cost. My life seeded xenophiles have the most populous empire of the galaxy, but they haven't left their homeworld! The Free Haven civic has been interesting. Me and my Federation mates have been having fun beating up on slavers.

    At least the next patch is supposed to deal with the food spiral. . .
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  19. #3939
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    AI empires get into starvation spirals that cripple them, basically they hit zero food and never ever recover.

    wait for the patch.
    Still playing 2.01 because I didn't want to deal with the outpost maintenance cost. My life seeded xenophiles have the most populous empire of the galaxy, but they haven't left their homeworld! The Free Haven civic has been interesting. Me and my Federation mates have been having fun beating up on slavers.

    At least the next patch is supposed to deal with the food spiral. . .
    again, that added energy cost is marginal 1-2 trade stations can pay for +20 outposts, and you get 3 station slots from that. all it does is it penalizes hyper-aggressive expansionism combined with the enormous influx of influence you get for meeting new people.
    Last edited by Liare; March 24 2018 at 07:23:35 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  20. #3940
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,031
    Devouring Swarm is pretty broken.

    Made a Zerg-ish race, Very strong, fast breeding. Using Legion and Devouring swarm traits. 50 years in killed of 2 neigbours have 12 planet systems (2 sectors) 2x40 corvette fleet running around murdering everything and gets 120-ish minerals and energy a month.

    Fleet capacity atm at 178 (4 anchorages)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •