hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 230 of 233 FirstFirst ... 130180220227228229230231232233 LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,600 of 4658

Thread: Stellaris - Fully Manual Austerity Hetro Space Capitalism

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Strategy has paid off. I was mistaken on my year (it was 2255, not 2240) and it took a while to get going, but after consuming all of my robotic neighbor's worlds and most of his space, I was sitting on a pile of 700-800 tech. Had to purge his pops because they're not mine, so that took a while on two planets (some 200+ pops on 5 planets in all). Expanded to a second planet, got the administrative capacity techs I needed so empire sprawl won't hamper me. Built more factories for consumer goods and rare crystals on the new planet, upgraded both research labs and built a research institute on the homeworld.

RNG was a bastard, though. It took 40+ years after I got Synths to get the tech option for synth personalities. In the meantime, I had to keep researching garbage techs like tier 1/2 fighters, missiles, and railguns. Finally got it, and the Synthetic Ascension perk.

It is now 2353, all my pops are Synths (the last batch are getting modified right now), I have over 1200 research/month with my third research lab recently built (with those still needing upgrades). The victory tab shows me with over 4000 research while my nearest competition has 1605. A fallen empire doesn't like my Synth empire and will probably attack soon. IDGAF, I'll just build more alloy plants and take my fleet sizes from 24k to 40k. Kill a few of his ships, lose, but research the debris from his ships and use his weapons against him.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

That's certainly faster.

Federations finally has a release date - March 17.

No incentive to pre-order but it does look promising.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Yeah let's not pre-order this time. Paradox has plenty to prove to the community right now. The increased performance shown off earlier looks like a positive but they've received a ton of flak for releasing things in an unusable state every time there's something new, so let's wait and see how that goes first. Also let's see how the AI deals with the new Federation stuff.

Previously there was a 4-7 month gap between major content DLC. This one took 9.

Hopefully it's because they really wanted to do it right this time, and not because it took this long to get it to the usual barely functioning state.

Tues 17 March is go-time.

I don't work Wednesdays.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    Previously there was a 4-7 month gap between major content DLC. This one took 9.

Hopefully it's because they really wanted to do it right this time, and not because it took this long to get it to the usual barely functioning state.
    They listened to people bitching that the last expansion was released in December and they all went on holiday, leaving the game kind of in shambles for too long.

So the fact that they listened and held off releasing it for a bit longer is IMO a positive sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Ho boy. There are two ways to read this blog:

1) YAAAAY significant AI improvements incoming!

2) Dear god everything people suspected was true, the AI was an absolute disaster.

Sounds like the military AI has some low hanging fruit fixed (obvious bugs that no-one bothered to even find before now and novel concepts like splitting fleets). The improvements on the economic side (i.e. deciding what to build where) sound far more dramatic, but that's mostly because they ejected the old system entirely because it was so bad. The new one sounds much better and also much lighter on CPU.

This is mainly a testament to how Paradox has never before bothered to invest some real time into the AI IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Ho boy. There are two ways to read this blog:

1) YAAAAY significant AI improvements incoming!

2) Dear god everything people suspected was true, the AI was an absolute disaster.
    whynotboth

Razor's right on this one I reckon. Good to see them put some proper time into it though. I was going to hold off on Federations to see if they've actually fixed anything, but this has me tempted to get it day one.

How long should we wait after patch day to host a game? I can finally do Saturday events again after a decade.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    A fallen empire doesn't like my Synth empire and will probably attack soon. IDGAF, I'll just build more alloy plants and take my fleet sizes from 24k to 40k. Kill a few of his ships, lose, but research the debris from his ships and use his weapons against him.
    True to form, the fallen empire attacked me because "SYNTHS = BAD". Initial engagement cost me almost all of my fleet, but I got a few techs out of it after I surrendered, with a mere humiliation. Researched those techs and upgraded, took down half his forces in the next war before surrendering. At this point, the AI stopped war deccing me and I started war deccing them. It took 4 wars, but I progressively sliced off portions of his territory and turned them into a fiercely loyal vassal.

Spoiler:

One my my northern neighbors had a civil war and fragmented, leaving a fair chunk of space empty and ripe for the taking. I moved to take a few systems and got some research stations and a dark matter deposit (not really necessary as I could just buy it from the market, but nice to deny others the resource).

Formed a federation with my neighbor because it's getting pretty late in the game and I want to go for the achievement where you lead non-aligned empires against the fallen empires. Not long after, the fallen empire in between us (and sitting five systems from my homeworld) wakes up and starts expanding into unoccupied systems.

My federation partner starts agitating for expanionist wars. I oblige the first, but decline the next two, which causes my opinion with him to really suffer. Then he asks to start a humiliation war with one of his northern neighbors. Okay, fine, it's only two enemies. NOPE. Find out after agreeing that it's against 5 enemies. Whatever, I'm bored and my 100k fleet and admirals could do with some experience. Here starts war #1.

Sentry array finishes all upgrades and now has galaxy-wide reach. Take the Ascension perk that allows ring worlds and Dyson spheres to be constructed. Oh, it's to get the research options, not the techs directly? Annoying.

After sending all my fleets north, my fallen empire vassal splits and a rogue servitor race (Determined Exterminators) starts wreaking havoc with 25-30k fleets. And they're closer to my territory than my fleets. Joy. War #2 is on.

Abandon the fight up north and head south again to deal with the insurgency. Battling fallen empire stations is no fun. Fallen empire to the north of my federation partner's space decides to start another humiliation war against my fed partner, which of course includes me. War #3 is on.

Finally put the machines down and restore my vassal, and most of my fed partner's territory they took. So war #2 is over, war #1 isn't a concern, but now I have to fend off fallen empire fleets ranging from 96k to 178k with my 125k fleet. Even with repeatable techs researching, it's tough.

Oof.

On the plus side, my Dyson sphere just came online, so all potential income issues have been solved. Science nexus is under construction now. And I lead all other empires by score, with 24k in subject empires alone.
    Last edited by Nordstern; March 15 2020 at 07:16:15 PM.

Fed partner never sued for white peace, so the wars never ended. 2500 rolled around and I won the game, decided to keep playing. Ghost signal appeared, which I was willing to take on. But the fallen empire next to me decided to wardec us and moved a murderstack into each of our territories. Resigned at that point as I can't fight him.

ASpec made a video about the new expansion.

Aaaand 2.6.0 is out, nicely timed for the quarantines.

Federations DLC is live too.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

please god, let me be able to play till end game without horrendous performance reductions to 1 day every 2seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    please god, let me be able to play till end game without horrendous performance reductions to 1 day every 2seconds.
    mate ur CPU must really suck

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    mate ur CPU must really suck
    4770k, its at 4.5ghz per core, i dont think stellaris makes great use of multithreading. I'd have thought it should be pretty decent. I tend to build quite a few gateways, and from what i read that slows down the game massively due to trade and other calculations suddendly having to think of addiitonal routing. Also i like a large 800 or 1000 galaxy with 20-30 empires for a nice variety. just popwise the boom really grinds it down too.
    I've experienced a lot of games with fewer empires are poopy due to getting a quite a few zenophobe type empires which all behave the same. makes it a pain trying to play as anything which requires diplomacy such as megacorp etc.