hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drones

Drones

Im goin to a drone workshop next week. 175 euro's, they brief you on the current dutch laws, tips and pointers, drone practice, food and drinks plus a 99 euro drone for free. This one

Workshhop was a gift.
    Im looking to buy this one:

319 euro, later add a go-pro.

Anybody else have a drone?
    Tell us!

Wat is the thing you want and cant find?
    For me its a penis enlarging display case or a pedestal.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Im goin to a drone workshop next week. 175 euro's, they brief you on the current dutch laws, tips and pointers, drone practice, food and drinks plus a 99 euro drone for free. This one
    That looks like the model CE got me for Christmas. Well good fun and need to get out and about with it some more.

Im looking to buy this one:

319 euro, later add a go-pro.
    Looks broadly similar to something I did a project with some kids a few years ago. Depending on the go pro model you get you can link it to a laptop and fly it 'remotely'.

I have two drones.

Cheapy but brilliantly fun one

More expensive but 'better'

My brother has the top one you linked Sacul, as Lark mentioned it is materially the same as my top one here except it has a small camera on it.

A really crappy vid I made:

What I want and can't immediately find is a drone which I can attach fpv (first person video) equipment to. My joy is in flying and filming with drones, I don't give two shits about building them and the next level up really is the building the things.

Electronics/mechanics bores me but flying them is awesome!

So a decent drone I can attach fpv camera to properly with some fatshark glasses would be awesome
    Last edited by Crystalline Entity; July 20 2015 at 05:48:35 PM.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

I got this the other day, going to see if i can make my own. Using Arduino and some aluminium.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o04_s00

Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    I have a Hubsan X4 which doesn't get any flight time, and I've had 250 Race Quad/Tricopters since last year.. good fun building them, you learn lots about soldering.

Got into proper RC (planes) at christmas, and they're great fun. Now progressed to slope soaring, which is so much better imo due to effectively unlimited battery time and less limitations with wind (you need wind). I built a slope soaring wing, and a simple soarer out of foam board for ~25 each (including electronics) to practice with and they're durable as fuck.

Shopping for a proper glider atm, just getting a cheap second hand one for the final "I care if I break this" learning stage, and then I can break the news to the wife that I want to drop serious cash.

//edit - as for quads, I bought a ZMR 250 carbon frame last week which is really nice quality. Have to source a replacement motor as I burnt out one of my others with some drunken soldering (oops) and then I can finish building it out.
    Last edited by Mendolorian Girl; July 20 2015 at 07:04:08 PM.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarp View Post
    Suppressing dissent in a town near you!
    #Hilary16

Are you all satisfied with the experience? Im a bit worried i will be a manbaby, play with it for 5 hours and throw a 400 euro toy in the closet.

If i have it on a showpiece stand i can atleast e-peen talk when i have a party
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Drone Jockeys
    a sketch by Dorvil Barranis
      Spoiler:
    (Scene opens with three men, apparently playing a video game)
    SMITH: Alright, target is in sight, lining up for a firing solution right now.

PETERSON: I've taken out their anti-aircraft, you should get a clean shot.

SMITH: OK, we are green to engage target, I'm coming in for the kill.

O'REILLY: Hey guys?

SMITH: What is it, O'Reilly?

O'REILLY: You see that pack of camels just north of our target area?

PETERSON: Yeah, what about it?

O'REILLY: I'm gonna strafe them.

PETERSON: What, you can't do that?

SMITH: Cut the chatter, guys, I'm closing in on the target.

O'REILLY: (Laughs) Oh my god, did you see that? I got camel parts all over the place!

PETERSON: That's fucked up, O'Reilly.

SMITH: Missiles are away. And . . . a direct hit.

O'REILLY: What do you care, Peterson?

PETERSON: I mean, they never did anything to you, why you gotta go and shoot a bunch of camels?

SMITH: Alright, mission accomplished, heading back to base. What are you guys talking about?

PETERSON: O'Reilly just shot a herd of camels.

SMITH: What? That's fucked up, O'Reilly.

O'REILLY: What are you talking about, Smith? This is just a video game, it's not like they are real.

SMITH: (Smith and Peterson look at each other, confused.) This isn't a video game, O'Reilly. We are drone pilots.

O'REILLY: We aren't controlling drones, this is just the latest Play Station 4 game, Drones of War.

PETERSON: Um, are you feeling OK O'Reilly?

O'REILLY: Yeah, I'm fine, why?

PETERSON: Because you forgot we are drone pilots, and you just shot up a herd of camels!

O'REILLY: I don't know what is wrong with you guys.

SMITH: What's wrong with us? What is wrong with you? Don't you remember your training?

O'REILLY: Sure, but this is just a video game. Look, I'll prove it to you.

PETERSON: Oh great.

O'REILLY: Let me just switch windows here.

PETERSON: Hey, you aren't supposed to have access to that, those are the domestic drones.

O'REILLY: Yeah, yeah. Say, Smith, your folks live in Castle Rock, right?

SMITH: Sure, but, what are you doing?

O'REILLY: (Checks piece of mail) 1001 Aspen Court, right?

SMITH: Hey, that's a letter from my mom, what are you doing with that?

O'REILLY: Just watch, guys.

PETERSON: What are you doing?

O'REILLY: I just want to show you guys this isn't real.

SMITH: Hey, that's my parents house. Get away from there.

O'REILLY: Locked and loaded, and . . . it's away.

SMITH: What the hell?

PETERSON: Oh my god, Smith! He just blew up your parents.

SMITH: You son of a bitch!

O'REILLY: Oh come on, it was just for laughs.

SMITH: Just for laughs, I'm gonna kick your ass (SMITH drags O'REILLY up, ready to hit him)

PETERSON: Maybe we should tell the sergeant.

SMITH: Tell him whatever you want, but I'm gonna rip this guys head off.

O'REILLY: Hey, now don't get violent.

SMITH: Don't get violent? You just killed my parents with a drone. Are you fucking crazy?

O'REILLY: Hey, man, your the one that can't tell the difference between flying a drone and playing a video game.

SMITH: This isn't a video game, you idiot, we already told you, we are drone pilots! (SGT. PHILLIPS enters)

PHILLIPS: What the hell is going on here? (The three men come to attention.)

O'REILLY: Nothing is going on, Sir.

PETERSON: O'Reilly just blew up Smith's parents.

PHILLIPS: What the hell are you talking about?

SMITH: It's true sir, he launched a drone from Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, and sent it up to my folks house in Castle Rock.

PHILLIPS: Is this true, O'Reilly? Did you launch an unauthorized drone attack on US civillians?

O'REILLY: No sir.

PHILLIPS: Then what the hell did happen?

O'REILLY: Look at the log in screen, sir.

PHILLIPS: (Picks up controller) Yeah, you guys are still on break, this is just the latest Play Station 4 game, Drones of War.

O'REILLY: See, I told you guys. (SMITH slaps forehead)

PHILLIPS: Breaks over, you worms. You got a mission starting right now, so log in and get to it!

ALL: Yes, Sir! (PHILLIPS exits, the three sit back down with their controllers.)

SMITH: OK, guys, we are locked and loaded, taking off now.

PETERSON: Right behind you, Smith.

SMITH: Peterson, I want you to take out their anti-aircraft. O'Reilly, lay down some cover fire against their small arms units, while I engage the primary target.

O'REILLY: Gotcha covered, Smith.

SMITH: And no shooting at camels.

O'REILLY: What kind of monster do you think I am?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

I heard they are very good at helping wildfires spread
      Spoiler:
    by forcing the helis out of the area so fat nerds can fly their drones and make cool videos

<Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

I really expect (and want) to see regulation around these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    I really expect (and want) to see regulation around these things.
    Why? I mean i agree but are they currently doing you any harm?

The laws or regulations are really out of date on this, i checked my insurance policy for shits and giggles. It covers a beer can thrown from a balcony and a zeppelin falling from the sky but nope no drones.
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Lets just wait how that drone workshop in the first post goes
    Last edited by Sacul; July 21 2015 at 12:34:13 AM.
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

They're not effecting me personally just yet, but they will. The market is growing very rapidly and there seems to be a very troublesome minority of users with little respect for safety or privacy. I fully expect that there will be mandated licensing and if your drone is caught harassing, hurting people or property, or interfering with planes, helicopters, etc. you will face pretty severe consequences.

The regulations on this are outdated because they were made at a time when personal drones with reasonable endurance and high-definition cameras were in the realm of science fiction. Now you can buy one for less then a $1,000.

I also look forward to anti-drone systems to remove the offenders.

They're not effecting me personally just yet, but they will. The market is growing very rapidly and there seems to be a very troublesome minority of users with little respect for safety or privacy. I fully expect that there will be mandated licensing and if your drone is caught harassing, hurting people or property, or interfering with planes, helicopters, etc. you will face pretty severe consequences.

The regulations on this are outdated because they were made at a time when personal drones with reasonable endurance and high-definition cameras were in the realm of science fiction. Now you can buy one for less then a $1,000.

I also look forward to anti-drone systems to remove the offenders.
    Interesting bit, its already happened and resulted in a fine for the shooter.

Basically some people seem to think that they own the land described in the metes & bounds on their deed plus infinity above & below and this just isn't true.

Well a shotgun isn't exactly the safe or reasonable tool for the job. But on the other hand if you're shooting one with a shotgun it's probably a lot closer to 0 then infinity. Can't imagine more then a 50 or 75m effective range for birdshot against a drone. Probably much much closer.

Frankly I don't want non-commercial use of these things in public. Period. But that may be an extreme position. Obviously would want rational regulation for the commercial use as well.

Let me know when I can mount a CIWS to my roof.
    meh

In Holland they are not legal to fly in public space at all. This has never gone to the ends of the court judgements and so everybody ignores it.
    I live at the edge of a park and one of my neighbours is doing a drone show there a few times a week. He started with a simple drone, upgraded, led lights, go-pro, his son got one. Now i want to take the fuckers down with my drone MUHAHAHAHAH......j/k
    Last edited by Sacul; July 21 2015 at 12:33:49 AM.
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Well a shotgun isn't exactly the safe or reasonable tool for the job. But on the other hand if you're shooting one with a shotgun it's probably a lot closer to 0 then infinity. Can't imagine more then a 50 or 75m effective range for birdshot against a drone. Probably much much closer.

Frankly I don't want non-commercial use of these things in public. Period. But that may be an extreme position. Obviously would want rational regulation for the commercial use as well.
    Yeah unfortunately the arguments seem to have devolved into the typical extremes; in this case being total impunity to spy through a window on one side, and requiring a full blown pilot's license on the other.

I'm quite interested to see how it plays out; as Amazon is going to use NJ as its testing ground for drone deliveries.