hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duality (or not)

Duality (or not)

https://forums.eveonline.com/default...72&find=unread

Tldr, no duality, no passworded systems, here is a very cool module that will hopefully be ready for next year

Veritas going away really cripled them in multiple ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

At this stage, we are not planning to bring back passworded systems. The old system was very special snowflake, running a custom build that was created and deployed entirely by CCP Veritas. That code was never checked into source control, and we have no idea where it is. If we wanted to recreate passworded systems, we would have to start from scratch. Additionally, supporting that sort of functionality creates a lot more work as we wouldn't want to integrate that into the main Tranquility branch, and would have to reintegrate it manually each time we want to make an updated client and server if something changes in the game.
    Yet 1 guy managed to sustain his own fork of Eve in order to get those systems working... It wasn't done without source control, so either Veritas walked off with a private copy of the Eve code and CCP aren't using their employment contract terms to get it (or he claims he submitted/deleted it on departure), or they simply fail at un-masking/hiding the fork in their own source control.

That and apparently no other dev there has anywhere near the skill, time, and/or interest in this to duplicate the feat, despite it being something CCP seem to be spending some amount of official time & resources on. That or the AT is completely 'unofficial' and unsupported (again).
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

A wise person once said: "heroic programming is not a sustainable business practice".

Relevant:
    Last edited by DaDutchDude; July 18 2015 at 12:00:43 AM.
    - don't confuse the fact that I like to be right with the rumours that I actually might be -

(DaDutchDude is in EVE hibernation in Some Random Corporation)

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDutchDude View Post
    A wise person once said: "heroic programming is not a sustainable business practice".

Relevant:
    Once, we found a mcdonalds chip under his desk that he said had been there, would he have reduced the humiliation, or been completely destroyed?

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    That and apparently no other dev there has anywhere near the skill, time, and/or interest in this to duplicate the feat, despite it being something CCP seem to be spending some amount of official time & resources on. That or the AT is completely 'unofficial' and unsupported (again).
    I suspect this is the true answer. Keep in mind that tourney work has traditionally been done on an employee's own time. So I think there's been a careful application of "strategic incompetence" done here. There's probably also a tiny bit of lack of interest, combined with a simple lack of knowledge of how much meta-gaming drives tournament play if you don't make an effort to keep it under control.
    Ripard Teg (among others)... what's our new alliance called again?
    I was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer, to good effect. Or at least, that's what most of EVE believes.

I had some hope that after the worlds collide event at fanfest ccp would invest the bare minimum required to make some tools to support this stuff. That hope was quickly gone after hearing how frantically thrown together the backend for worlds collide actually was.

It's fine guys, Valkyrie will be CCP's esports title instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Leboe View Post
    I had some hope that after the worlds collide event at fanfest ccp would invest the bare minimum required to make some tools to support this stuff. That hope was quickly gone after hearing how frantically thrown together the backend for worlds collide actually was.
    I haven't paid much attention to the build-up for this AT. In all seriousness, how bad are things looking?
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    I haven't paid much attention to the build-up for this AT. In all seriousness, how bad are things looking?
    No Duality, multiple matches on 'at the same time' on the first weekend, 6 week development cycle means something may be 'balanced' just before the last weekend.
    Last edited by Mr Marram; July 21 2015 at 01:29:30 PM.

IS-4, T110E5, T-54, E-50, IS-8, M103, T34, Type 59, M26 Pershing, AMX 13 90, KV-3, SU-122-44, AMX AC Mle. 1946, SU-101, T20, T71, T25/2, KV-1S, T21, Jgdpzr IV, Sherman E8, GW Panther, AMX 12t, M18, Stug III, T-50-2, T-34, PzIV, ELC AMX, Crusader, Covenanter, SU-26, T1, RenaultFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Marram View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    No Duality, multiple matches on 'at the same time' on the first weekend, 6 week development cycle means something may be 'balanced' just before the last weekend.
    CCP said BCs were up next to get a pass. It was supposed to happen in Aegis. Which is why they raised the point value for BCs by 1. They postponed it until after the tournament. So they lowered it again. Next up for mods is shield rechargers, power relays, and flux coils. So probably nothing (or nothing of consequence) will be rebalanced until after the AT.

multiple matches on 'at the same time' on the first weekend
    This is going to be the interesting bit. It takes a ton of people to run one match at once and do it successfully.
    Ripard Teg (among others)... what's our new alliance called again?
    I was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer, to good effect. Or at least, that's what most of EVE believes.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W0wbagger View Post
    https://forums.eveonline.com/default...72&find=unread

Tldr, no duality, no passworded systems, here is a very cool module that will hopefully be ready for next year
    That thought crossed my mind, i'll talk to the teams about the comps before the event, making the commentary and analysis hopefully a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    This is going to be the interesting bit. It takes a ton of people to run one match at once and do it successfully.
    Yeah that's why I wrote it like that. While the ambition is good, I am not very optimistic, CCP doesn't have a good track record of getting single matches off on them, never mind running them in pairs.

My money is on two fights on the same arena at some point.

IS-4, T110E5, T-54, E-50, IS-8, M103, T34, Type 59, M26 Pershing, AMX 13 90, KV-3, SU-122-44, AMX AC Mle. 1946, SU-101, T20, T71, T25/2, KV-1S, T21, Jgdpzr IV, Sherman E8, GW Panther, AMX 12t, M18, Stug III, T-50-2, T-34, PzIV, ELC AMX, Crusader, Covenanter, SU-26, T1, RenaultFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

By far the most competetive year ever and they pull shit like that :/.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Yeah that's why I wrote it like that. While the ambition is good, I am not very optimistic, CCP doesn't have a good track record of getting single matches off on them, never mind running them in pairs.
    Didn't they do a kind of pre-tournament with six man teams and simultaneous matches before AT X or XI?

And they totally dropped the ball on sisi this time around.

They finally give us a module so we can test securely, but it prevents people from opening hangars and crashes everything on grid when ships start dying around it. The goggles do nothing.

gg

:ccp: