hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TMA killing comets

I dunno, I've never had issues with this ship.

If you're in lowsec most of them are probably afterburner fit, so anything with a kiting ability can kill them pretty easily. Food for slicers, kiting svipuls and alike.
    If you don't want to fly a kiter then most destroyers are going to kill them pretty effortlessly. Dragoons, cormorants all get free kills from them.
    If you don't want to fly a destroyer just take a ship with reasonable speed and control. An arty firetail (ab, web, scram, td) kills any regular blaster comet, and rail variants are pretty easy as well since they either won't reach you or will be forced to downgrade their dps by a lot with long range ammo like spike. A hookbill with its 5 mid slots used for control does this even better though it will die if you fight outnumbered.
    I've never had issues with them when flying my svipul or jackdaw either.
    Also any T2 gallente or caldari AF kills them pretty easily due to the resist profile. Harpies, Hawks, Ishkurs all do fine against them.
    As for T1 hulls, a triple neut tristan won't have issues against blaster comets, and a mwd Atron can just kite them endlessly as well.

The only problematic comet to some of these ships would be the mwd rail kite variant, but almost nobody uses them in lowsec. In any case a beam slicer still has far superior projection and can just ignore drones with its speed. You'll win the dps race but it can be close.

Kiting Garmus/Worms are self explainatory.

Really I don't see why anyone thinks these are OP unless you're trying to brawl them with a merlin or something.
    Last edited by frazz0402; June 9 2015 at 11:24:43 AM.

So, kiting ships have to land on 0, otherwise they would be the hardcounter (hence the speedfit crow, as that can land on 0 and pull away). Arty firetail loses sadly (unbonused tds dont affect rails very much, the comet loses 20dps or so).

They basicely just win or have a good chance vs almost anything in the brawling meta and they can chase away some kiters and due to warp at 0 can force them to come in up close.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

So it's an overal good ship. I don't see anything wrong with that. And I dunno, I've always had sucess killing rail comets with firetails before. May be because people are just bad.

Define before?

What pushed them over the edge was the hull rigs, dual magstab + dcu + saar is the all around fitting way, even if you could fit whatever you wanted, atop of that full tackle +ab and the biggest tier guns fit, what you were left with are 3 rigs, pre hull rigs those very very low impact, anti explo rig and maybe rep rigs or dps ones. And the ship was balanced all around, now with 2k extra hp with 0 drawbacks its just a bit to strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

Blaster Comet

The standard FW AB/scram/web-fit Blaster Comet can be beaten with any scram-range kiting ship that's faster than it. An Executioner comes to mind, or a dual-tank Breacher, or a double-web armor Kestrel maybe, but it would probably still be very close for any T1 frigate. The double-web TD armor Hookbill is probably the best hard counter, although a Blaster Comet might be reluctant to fight one. Bear in mind that a lot of Comet pilots fit double-web + blasters and just sit at zero in a plex all day. The scram-kiting ships won't beat the Comet in this case, but can just warp off if you notice this in time.

Any MWD light missile kiting ship would also work provided they can enter a plex without getting tackled. The Condor and Slicer have been mentioned. The Breacher can also be fit in a similar way with an MWD and light missiles.

Rail Comet

The Rail Comet is overpowered. It was one of the best scram-kiting frigates in the game, and then the bulkhead rigs gave it more speed (because you don't need a plate), more ehp, and a lot more DPS (because you can fit double mag-stab now). You have to start looking into things like Worms if you want to match their raw DPS x EHP potential at scram range, or maybe a Succubus if you want to get under his guns and tank his drones long enough to kill him. These are things the Comet just won't fight unless he's an idiot.

There are really only a few things that I would confidently engage a rail Comet with and expect to win:
    1. MWD kiting ships which have a TD (Condor, Breacher). If you don't have a TD, he'll just switch to long range ammo, out-damage and out-tank you, and force you to run away.
    2. Dual-web armor Hookbill (again). Load a tracking speed script and orbit 500 with your AB heated. I'd expect to win this.
    3. Various other things that are obvious hard-counters and are unlikely to get a fight (Worm, Dragoon, Jackdaw, etc)

Its more of a mattet of bulkhead rigs being poorly thought out than the ship being overpowered. Lots of other ships became a little obnoxious when they can double thei4 ehp with 3 penalty less rigs. 20-25% boost per rig with no real drawback is a bit ridiculous on T1 hulls, but heres far more cancerous ships out there.
    Last edited by frazz0402; June 10 2015 at 07:45:19 PM.