hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1151

Thread: XCOM 2

  1. #41
    Super VIP Dot Kransthow's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    どんちゃかちゃっかー♪
    Posts
    6,698
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kransthow View Post
    Preorder when?

    my body isn't ready.
    Literally the reason AAA games industry sucks.

      Spoiler:

    a) didn't read discussion on why not to preorder
    b) wants to preorder as soon as possible

    Why would I care about your bitch reasons about bitching.

    Xcom EU was good, Xcom EW was great and Jake Solomon fellates long wang daily which was a shining fucking diamond.

    I doubt they're going to fuck this up and either way there's a interview or something tomorrow so we can get more solid details then.

  2. #42
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mona View Post
    Firaxis is promising more solider customisation, updated classes, procedurally-generated levels and, as mentioned above, modding support.
    Soldier customization sounds like hats, updated classes = the same but changed one ability around, procedurally-generated levels usually are shit compared to carefully hand-crafted maps, modding support was evidently sufficient for LW.
    I want to be excited but im not, yet.


    The other thing thats bugging me about sequels like this is the retcon. I had bionic psigods and mechagozilla with a jetpack, "hurrdurr scrawny rebels, but with a helicarrier" sounds slightly retarded. At least in TFTD it made sense, what with adapting for underwater use. Oh well, guess i failed that first base defense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    the first game ends with the destruction of the Ethereal ship, not the extermination of the aliens, the Ethereals are looking to ascend to some higher plane of existence yet failed, it's implied, though not heavily, that their primary reason for invasion is to feed off the psychic potential of humanity and that the races you face are stunted and dominated trough psychic means by the Etherals and altered to suit their purposes.

    the trailer above basically confirms the above, we see a unaltered thin man (the snake) who has chosen servitude, yet does not have Psychic potential ("A valiant effort... A being of intelligence and exceptional loyalty, easily adapted to serve our needs. Still, despite such great hopes... They were unable to embrace the Gift... Another wasted example." ) and a unaltered Sectoid ("The New One faces the earliest effort of the Ethereal Ones, the first... failure. Though possessed of a certain... brilliance... they are marred by their cowardice and frailty... which made them cruel... and ultimately useless."). + ("When the others sought to enslave these races, we moved to uplift them, to create perfection where none was found." )

    more info here

    the implication here is that the alien fleet, massively larger than what XCOM could handle, gained some sort of independence after the fall of the ethereal ship and, lacking other options, occupied earth, this is significant considering that the Ethereals where not actually interested in the planet's destruction, but to find beings suitable for psychic ascension.

    this game looks interesting imho.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  3. #43
    So want
    The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"

  4. #44
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,070
    watched the trailer again, im pretty sure XCOM is using some sort of Gauss weaponry there, wonder if it will have more nods to TFTD, the Snake was obviously using some sort of plasma gun though.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  5. #45
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    20,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    watched the trailer again, im pretty sure XCOM is using some sort of Gauss weaponry there, wonder if it will have more nods to TFTD, the Snake was obviously using some sort of plasma gun though.
    Im up for it though.

  6. #46
    Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8, 2011
    Posts
    438
    Probably a railgun but thats just a gauss.

  7. #47
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    27,488
    railgun =/= coilgun

    faggots

  8. #48
    ValorousBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Posts
    4,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Kransthow View Post
    Xcom EU was good, Xcom EW was great and Jake Solomon fellates long wang daily which was a shining fucking diamond.

    I doubt they're going to fuck this up and either way there's a interview or something tomorrow so we can get more solid details then.
    Kransbro have you played Long War yet? It's a total overhaul mod for EW that has standalone-DLC levels of content. It's waaaay harder but also more fun and more rewarding.

  9. #49
    Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    9,249
    Quote Originally Posted by ValorousBob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kransthow View Post
    Xcom EU was good, Xcom EW was great and Jake Solomon fellates long wang daily which was a shining fucking diamond.

    I doubt they're going to fuck this up and either way there's a interview or something tomorrow so we can get more solid details then.
    Kransbro have you played Long War yet? It's a total overhaul mod for EW that has standalone-DLC levels of content. It's waaaay harder but also more fun and more rewarding.
    Confirming Long War is so good it justifies double posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

  10. #50
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    20,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post

    Confirming Long War is so good it justifies double posting.
    Confirming good game. Is there any 5.x android custom rom out there yet?

  11. #51
    Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    9,249
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post

    Confirming Long War is so good it justifies double posting.
    Confirming good game. Is there any 5.x android custom rom out there yet?
    It's going to be a while before you can play XCOM on your phone Quackers, but I'm glad you're enjoying Long War.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

  12. #52

    Join Date
    July 14, 2011
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post

    Confirming Long War is so good it justifies double posting.
    Confirming good game. Is there any 5.x android custom rom out there yet?
    It's going to be a while before you can play XCOM on your phone Quackers, but I'm glad you're enjoying Long War.
    you can already buy XCOM:EW from the Android store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...comew&hl=en_GB (obvs no long war though)

  13. #53
    Super VIP Dot Kransthow's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    どんちゃかちゃっかー♪
    Posts
    6,698
    Quote Originally Posted by ValorousBob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kransthow View Post
    Xcom EU was good, Xcom EW was great and Jake Solomon fellates long wang daily which was a shining fucking diamond.

    I doubt they're going to fuck this up and either way there's a interview or something tomorrow so we can get more solid details then.
    Kransbro have you played Long War yet? It's a total overhaul mod for EW that has standalone-DLC levels of content. It's waaaay harder but also more fun and more rewarding.
    Yeeeeeeeeee its great

  14. #54
    Nobody_Holme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Swansea, Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post

    Confirming Long War is so good it justifies double posting.
    Confirming good game. Is there any 5.x android custom rom out there yet?
    It's going to be a while before you can play XCOM on your phone Quackers, but I'm glad you're enjoying Long War.
    you can already buy XCOM:EW from the Android store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...comew&hl=en_GB (obvs no long war though)
    Quackers still doesnt have hands that the touchscreen can detect yet, however.

  15. #55
    Ski Boot Fortior's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    2,470
    I sincerily hope that XCOM2 effectively switches the roles around, so that aliens will be playing defense and XCOM playing the offense performing raids on various (differently sized ofc) targets. Instead of intercepting UFOs, you will be raiding. Instead of terror missions you will be assaulting guard posts, bases or labs. Think it would be an excellent step up from EU.

    That could place a bit more emphasis on the strategic/Geoscape game, but that's just my fervent hope.
    Real men pvp in barges.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

  16. #56
    Super VIP Dot Kransthow's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    どんちゃかちゃっかー♪
    Posts
    6,698

  17. #57
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,070
    meh, they are going the retcon route, i would have preffered to have xcom kill the ethereal ship and then pick up the story about how XCOM loses very badly from there, it doesn't erase player progress and you can still do a "tech reset" of XCOM in the process.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  18. #58
    Donor TheManFromDelmonte's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    5,010
    you say retcon, I remember one playthrough that ended in the ethereal ship being blown up and hundreds that ended in quick death. Really we're the retconners by trying again so many times.

  19. #59
    Shaikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Kador
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post
    I sincerily hope that XCOM2 effectively switches the roles around, so that aliens will be playing defense and XCOM playing the offense performing raids on various (differently sized ofc) targets. Instead of intercepting UFOs, you will be raiding. Instead of terror missions you will be assaulting guard posts, bases or labs. Think it would be an excellent step up from EU.
    That was one of the things I liked about Apocalypse - once you'd got to the point where you could effectively defend megacity 1 the tables turned and you started invading the aliens with the goal of wrecking their shit so badly they'd be doomed to extinction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    meh, they are going the retcon route, i would have preffered to have xcom kill the ethereal ship and then pick up the story about how XCOM loses very badly from there, it doesn't erase player progress and you can still do a "tech reset" of XCOM in the process.
    Is it a retcon though? Having no evidence, I'm going to confidently assert that more XCOM playthroughs resulted in an Alien victory (either directly, or indirectly through people giving up and restarting) than did with a Human victory.

  20. #60
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,070
    i must be uber-hardcore given i won, afaik 3/4ths of my classic-ironman runs in the base-game

    still haven't quite worked up the will to give long-war ironman a try though.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •