Today, we are bringing you another member of the CCP Shanghai team that is in charge of various QA aspects of DUST 514: Hong Chen, AKA CCP Singlemono! What is your official job title with CCP? I am a QA Analyst at CCP Shanghai! What does the job actually entail? It is really hard to explain my work, actually. First, I am the scrum master of the DUST DEV team to keep the features and tasks in good order and well arranged, and I test the features to assure our build’s quality (along with my team). Then, I work on the submission team to handle the build publishing through Sony’s PS3 platform, which means that I communicate with the good guys at Sony whenever we need to get a new expansion out. After that task is all done and dusted, I investigate live issues along with other members and deploy bug fixes to the server accordingly when devs have submitted those. It is pretty complex workflow, that one – but I can definitely say that I enjoy it. In addition to those responsibilities, I also manage the DUST 514 in-game store and PSN store to publish new virtual goods and discounts. I also author scripts to grant live event rewards to the players whenever those are required. In most cases, when we distribute rewards after the event is over, that’s me making sure that those are deployed correctly to you all. And finally, there are other misc. tasks that I do from day to day. Overall, it is a pretty busy job and the one that I really enjoy. What were you up to before you got the job with CCP? I graduated from University 2 years ago and CCP is the first company in my career, so you could say that I was pretty busy graduating! How did you get a job with CCP? Can you talk about the process? My interview was an extraordinary experience. It started with a lot of questions; then, I was asked to play the game and report issues I found. On top of those, I was also asked to take a test which had some profession-related questions I had never seen before. Honestly, I was so nervous but I took it calmly and tried to be confident in my answers even though I was not really sure what to answer exactly. In the end, I received an offer to be a QA intern just after the interview. After a couple of months of hard working, but more learning, at the end of my internship I was offered a junior QA Analyst position and I happily took it, instantly. It seemed so smooth once everything was over. Maybe it was my destiny to join CCP from the start! What’s your favorite part about working at CCP? CCP is an open company in which I can learn many other skills even out of my current job scope. If you like absorbing various skills and enhancing your knowledge of various game development jobs, this is the right place for you! What’s the biggest misconception players have about what you do that you’d like to clear up? We sometimes receive complaints from players about the old issues which have not been solved for a long time. That is not because we do not care about them. Some of them are really not easy to fix and some are already scheduled for a fix but can’t be fixed immediately. We would like to hear from all our players and make everyone happy, ultimately. In our mind, every player who likes the game has the power to make us move forward and ultimately make the game even better. So submit your bugs and we will take a look for sure! And remember! Patch Notes sometimes don’t mention a lot of small bug fixes, but they are still there! And now the personal stuff - if there was one thing you’d be doing outside of your current job, what would it be? I like playing games and reading comic books. When I was young, I decided to do work that matches my hobbies. So I always wanted to be in the game, comic book or cartoon industry. If you are not passionate about your job, you can’t take your work to an extreme level! When you’re not on the job, what do you enjoy doing? I really like drawing when I am free from my job. I prefer simple pen & paper. I especially like drawing characters from cartoons and games. Ace from “One Piece” and Sasori from “Naruto”, for example are my all-time favorite characters, and I practice drawing them pretty often. What are some of your favorite games, both past and present? My favorite game was World of Warcraft, actually. I defended Azeroth for about 6 years, starting when I was a high school student. I was Guild leader, Raid leader and main tank for around 4 years. I also like Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Need for Speed and sport games. I also like DUST 514 a lot, loving it even more today, because my close involvement in the game development, I am actually able to impact some of the features (with a lot of discussions and arguments with the team) which makes me really passionate about the game. What’s something that people don’t know about you? For example my player character name. As for other secrets, I would like to keep those a secret still. If you could use any weapon in DUST 514 to make a sandwich, what would it be and why? I love the Nova Knife. Running around the battlefield cloaked, approach the enemies and serve cold-blooded death to them. I like that feeling every single time. So cool. As for a sandwich – yeah I like sandwiches.

original link