hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 61 of 82 FirstFirst ... 11515859606162636471 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1629

Thread: Total War: WARHAMMER

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    In MP there's a lot of factors that can influence fights like that tbh, so it's hard to say. Boyz might have been buffed, Greatswords debuffed (orcs get easy access to crazy good buffs and debuffs), Greatswords might have been tired, formations may not have matched (width makes a big difference)....there's so many reasons this might happen.

Greatswords will always beat boyz 1v1, but doesn't mean they won't take a good number of losses doing it depending on all sorts.
    Hasn't this game also re-introduced significant terrain height bonuses for melee? Not just charging but actual hefty melee attack/defence bonuses for fighting an enemy on a lower elevation.

If you charge greatswords up-hill into a unit of orc boyz who counter-charge, then you are going to take a lot of extra damage in that first clash and a lot of extra damage throughout the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    In MP there's a lot of factors that can influence fights like that tbh, so it's hard to say. Boyz might have been buffed, Greatswords debuffed (orcs get easy access to crazy good buffs and debuffs), Greatswords might have been tired, formations may not have matched (width makes a big difference)....there's so many reasons this might happen.

Greatswords will always beat boyz 1v1, but doesn't mean they won't take a good number of losses doing it depending on all sorts.
    Hasn't this game also re-introduced significant terrain height bonuses for melee? Not just charging but actual hefty melee attack/defence bonuses for fighting an enemy on a lower elevation.

If you charge greatswords up-hill into a unit of orc boyz who counter-charge, then you are going to take a lot of extra damage in that first clash and a lot of extra damage throughout the fight.
    I'm actually not sure on the terrain bonus other than for charges. Orcs counter-charging downhill will be pretty brutal regardless of other bonuses though, I agree.

There really are SO many variables.

height advantage is just +10 leadership afaik. it's not that big. it does heavily affect charges though, charging uphill will lose a lot of speed and impact plus exhaust your guys. charging down hill is obviously the reverse of this.

Banned
    It turns out the Glade Riders "decent in melee" trait is a bit of an understatement, their charge is actually surprisingly strong

A lot of shitty Orc units have great charge bonuses. So you do a great initial impact to enemy HP, but not kill many units.

I've decided I want to focus on one roster and try to "get gud" with it. Blood for the blood god!

orc units get some really good buffs from magic too, sneaky stabbin mainly is really good also itchy nuisance is a great debuff. look at the little waagh spells.
    The good thing about greatswords is they perform well in all situations (apart from having a shield but meh) but they dont really excel at anything. Line them up against a top tier infantry unit and you are p much ded, BUT they will hold out for a good time though because of good leadership so you can use your multitude of hammer units to fuck shit up really badly.

Glade riders are a little OP atm, their frenzy means they can hold up against orc boar big uns and even demigriff halberds ok, demis get on much better with a life wizard though because of high HP and low model count.
    psycho freak > BBC fleet

Greenskins are probably the most balanced (diverse) faction in the game. Their glaring weakness is leadership. I always use fear/terror/leadership debuffs when facing them.

played a few online battles today. beastmen razorgor chariots run right through wood elves like they're not even there think it's something to do with the elves low mass.... even massed spears just get run over so you can just push through the line straight into the missile troops.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    Greenskins are probably the most balanced (diverse) faction in the game. Their glaring weakness is leadership. I always use fear/terror/leadership debuffs when facing them.
    Routing the whole greenskin army several times is hilarious.

So I've won 12-15 ladder battles but my board only shows 5 wins. Maybe the whole "dropping to not lose" things is more prevalent than I thought. Regardless I've been having a blast.

I've dedicated myself to Chaos and honestly they are a really forgiving faction to learn with. Their mid to high tier infantry has ridiculously high leadership and staying power. Imagine dwarves but no missiles and more monsters. My favorite match ups are against Empire, Dwarves and Beastmen. I hate fighting Welfs because if I don't bring air they can be super cheeky and just run out the timer if they lose the ground war. I had a dude avoid me with his flying glade lord and wild riders after I annihilated his spears and treekin.

My favorite matches are losses most of the time. Just because I bring hilariously unbalanced monster based comps. Dragon smash!

ok I'm convinced, purchased this, which campaign should I start with? I did maybe 20 turns of empire but they seem boring and generic, Dwarves?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenOne View Post
    ok I'm convinced, purchased this, which campaign should I start with? I did maybe 20 turns of empire but they seem boring and generic, Dwarves?
    Orcs or Dwarves are fun

Welves if you like massive rapid expansion and utter bullshit

None of the races get really fun until midgame when their standout units start being unlocked tbh

The only problem with Dwarves is you'll fight nothing but Orcs for awhile, I'm not sure if you'll find that boring? They are a great start to learn the campaign though, and the basics of Total War.

Dwarves:
    - High armor units
    - Great base leadership (morale)
    - Starting units are superior to most races.
    - No cavalry, so you're slow.
    - No magic, but Runesmiths have amazing abilities.

If you start with Thorgrim you can generally create a "box" of warriors with your archers and artillery in the center. The only problem you'll run into initially is Grimgor. He can damn near solo your army. The sooner you eliminate him (and take Black Rock) the better.

spacky_mcspackerson on steam. ping me if anyone wants a fite. I usually rock dorf
    psycho freak > BBC fleet

Vampire counts is the easiest main faction just behind wood elves overall but it's quite fun and you can build there armies a couple of different ways.

Do make sure to get better camera and improved ai recruitment.

I think once they are out Bretonnia will be a fun one, for new players and veterans.

You get to fight:
    - Crooked Moon
    - The orcs near Marienbur/Couronne whose name i forget
    - Beastmen
    - Woodelves
    - Marienburg/Empire
    - Mousillon
    - Various Dwarfs

Thats just immediately local. Its not too far to Estalia, Tilea etc either. Tons of variety.

I think once they are out Bretonnia will be a fun one, for new players and veterans.

You get to fight:
    - Crooked Moon
    - The orcs near Marienbur/Couronne whose name i forget
    - Beastmen
    - Woodelves
    - Marienburg/Empire
    - Mousillon
    - Various Dwarfs

Thats just immediately local. Its not too far to Estalia, Tilea etc either. Tons of variety.
    I just hope the get some baller heros to do silly things with.

Legendary Lords are Louen and The Fay Enchantress. I expect Fay to be crap, because pure qwizard legendary lords are mostly crap. Louen is an absolute beast though, total killing machine.

As for Heroes, i expect Paladin, Damsel and maybe 1 other?

My dream is to be able to start as the Orcs near Marienburg. One settlement. Surrounded by lands to pillage. Much Waaagh!

Another fun start would be Border Princes. Surrounded by Stunties, Greenskins, Welves and invaded by Vamps. The biggest weakness of the campaign, for me at least, is you end up fighting the same faction for too long.

Therre are tons of very easy mods allowing you to play as those very Orcs. Go Waaaagh good sir!

There's border Prince mods too, but some of those are a bit ropier. There's definitely a couple of solid ones around though.