hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: WARHAMMER

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post

castAR and don't forget MS with their project Holo and they have already shown it projecting minecraft onto a table (wall and through the table as well). I would give a hell of a lot to have the control and view of a tabletop battle mixed with the ability to create any terrain and make stuff dynamic.
    Well it is in the picture thread mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Give it a few years for headset tech to mature and for secondary tech costs to drop, and games workshop will be a company well placed to make the leap into augmented reality table top gaming.
    You have to remember that this is GW we are talking about, company that just recently managed to replace their mail order system, where you used to phone in and recite the product codes. with a slightly more modern system where you can fax the order in. (And soon after that technological leap they stopped the whole mail-order bits service).

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
    hahaha what are those orc boar boys going to do, ride into the wall?
    hey if it's anything like the MMO was, they'll just clip straight through the wall.
    Don't remind me of that fucking game. It was traaash.
    ~ it was a nice idea, but executed poorly and supported even worse.

I'll never forget, getting home from the store to discover the fucking .exe on the install disk didn't do shit. How that was even a thing ...

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisReaper View Post
    hey if it's anything like the MMO was, they'll just clip straight through the wall.
    I liked Warhammer Online ;_;
    ~ as did I, it just had so many problems.

That and my circle of shit-lords all rolled Chaos when I wanted to roll Order.
    I went order, my brother went chaos. I hunted him down untill he re-rolled order. No Regrets.

Games workshop making money from selling rules would require them to make good rules.

Oh well.

I just dont think virtual tabletop will work and the models are cheaply made whiel costing just enough to make pirating them the way to go if 3d printers spread everywhere. Warhammer as a game isnt that great that it could compete with the best pc games i think, it kinda lives of the social aspects of having a shared hobby and meeting people and playing with them so i dont think that going virtual will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    I just dont think virtual tabletop will work and the models are cheaply made whiel costing just enough to make pirating them the way to go if 3d printers spread everywhere. Warhammer as a game isnt that great that it could compete with the best pc games i think, it kinda lives of the social aspects of having a shared hobby and meeting people and playing with them so i dont think that going virtual will work.
    Augmented reality isn't virtual reality, though it uses some similar tech.

With augmented you still have your mates round to play on a table, but none of the terrain/models actually exist. Instead you put on a headset that tracks the position of the table and any unit tokens you have on it, and it overlays 3d terrain/models on those physical components.

You still see the real world, its just an overlay.
    Last edited by Nicholai Pestot; April 24 2015 at 02:39:04 PM.

XenosisReaper
    Please stop posting while under the influence of medication

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Augmented reality isn't virtual reality, though it uses some similar tech.

With augmented you still have your mates round to play on a table, but none of the terrain/models actually exist. Instead you put on a headset that tracks the position of the table and any unit tokens you have on it, and it overlays 3d terrain/models on those physical components.

You still see the real world, its just an overlay.
    Tbh I think going a full holo table would be 100x better.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

Augmented reality is an awesome concept - but when I think back to Warhammer sessions, a big part of the draw of the game was for gaming nerds to ooh and aah over the paint jobs and modifications made to the units. There is a reason that many Warhammer tourneys banned the use of unpainted minis.

The game mechanics can be played using augmented reality, but that doesn't capture the spirit of what the game was about. Don't get me wrong, doing away with the painting and collecting of pewter units will go a long ways to bringing the game to the masses, but then you just end up with a tabletop game that's mechanics really aren't that special.

To say, "it wouldn't be the same..." is an understatement.

I just think its the same as magic, its amazing fun if you can play with your mates, but as a game its not good enough to succeed in a setting where the social aspect is taken out of it. Hearthstone is a way better game then mtgo, but mtg is way way more fun if you have friends to play with and tourneys to go to.

Are you serious?

Nothing would make me happier than to get a really well-made Warhammer/40K MMO or Table Top Wargame replacement or Inquisitor Skyrim-a-like FP-RPG or Pillars of Eternity-Style CRPG.

The problem with GW-licensed games is they're almost universally shit. Not that the source material/lore is shit.

It's almost mind boggling, really, how poorly ran GW is in Video Games media.

The only excuse I've heard is that it's more profitable for GW to make models/books/paints if the video games suck. A weak argument IMO.

Im not saying the lore is shit, i think, while over the top, the lore is amazing (especially 40k). I just think that the actual game (i.e rules and so on) is bad and wouldnt survive a 1 to 1 virtual remake.

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland View Post
    Augmented reality is an awesome concept - but when I think back to Warhammer sessions, a big part of the draw of the game was for gaming nerds to ooh and aah over the paint jobs and modifications made to the units. There is a reason that many Warhammer tourneys banned the use of unpainted minis.

The game mechanics can be played using augmented reality, but that doesn't capture the spirit of what the game was about. Don't get me wrong, doing away with the painting and collecting of pewter units will go a long ways to bringing the game to the masses, but then you just end up with a tabletop game that's mechanics really aren't that special.

To say, "it wouldn't be the same..." is an understatement.
    I happened to be thinking about this the other day due to driving by a GW location. The tools for painting still exist virtually (at least in my concept of a holo table); hell... sell specifically branded and customized WACOMs, build it into an ironman/minority report styled modeler (or have the painting be done via VR goggles with a physical demonstration model you "brush" on if you want to go full retard. Save everything to a chip and get a table. Custom uploads and resales of terrain layouts, etc. Run it like the steam workshop for that sort of add on shit.

The only challenge is the price feasibility and availability of suitable tables.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

Thats never going to work unless the tech gets so cheap and affordable everyone can have it and already has it.

This is all removing parts of the hobby that some of us found enjoyable. Painting them was more fun for me than actually playing. I literally had a whole Eldar army I had never used.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Thats never going to work unless the tech gets so cheap and affordable everyone can have it and already has it.
    You just described computer/console games in the mid 70's. Then the Atari came out and by the mid 80's video games were commonplace.
    Last edited by Nicholai Pestot; April 25 2015 at 01:04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisReaper View Post
    I liked Warhammer Online ;_;
    Lazarus for Mod!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    This is all removing parts of the hobby that some of us found enjoyable. Painting them was more fun for me than actually playing. I literally had a whole Eldar army I had never used.
    This (not for me personally, but for a lot of people I know who played). Even in a world were AR tables are a thing, the physical side of the game is a selling point. Consider: I can already play drone racing on a PC, why would I ever build my own hover drone and race? Answer: because it's cool.

GW can remain relevent with 3D printing but to do it they'd have to change their whole business culture. They are a pretty well universally hated faceless corporation (even by fanbois). Accept pirating is going to happen, and develop a business that works despite (and/or because of it): either because it's easier (the Netflix / Kindle / Nook etc way) or because they want to give it to you (Patreon etc way).

Decent games that get people who wouldn't otherwise be playing a GW game playing one are precisely what's needed. Dawn of War managed that, but yeah - with the way TW has been going I don't have much hope. The only glimmer I have is that this is the 3rd iteration of the Rome AI, but Attilla doesn't look like it improved on it that much, so - yeah... it'll be shit.

Smuggo
    Or just fuck off GW and play one of the many other miniature games that actually stand up as good games, in contrast to the unbalanced and ultimately unfun shite that GW produces.

XenosisReaper
    I liked the LoTR GW games, if only because a friend of mine and his brothers built an absolutely vast scale model of Helms Deep in their basement