hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 120 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2070110117118119120121 LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 2415

Thread: Total War: WARHAMMER

Eltharions capture mechanic is annoying, 25 seconds of hoping a deathblow is struck while the enemy lord runs off should be enough, but it's really not.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

goddamn mod updates
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Was going to play this today.

Graphics card says no,

i had forgotten how terrible the 4x design is in this game.

take the Tor Yvresse start, you have fuck all building slots, full stop, it might seem like you have a meaningful number but you really do not.

nominally, you have 7 in the main city, and 6 in the minor settlements (mandatory ports, ahoy!), only after you pay the wall tax that becomes 6/3 free slots. and you do not skip the wall tax, if you do then the AI will beeline straight for where ever you skipped the wall tax and burn it down, the risk/reward ratio just doesn't work.

then there is the resource buildings, you pretty much HAVE to get those due to the benefits bestowed by them, so you're down to 5/2 slots, Tor Yvresse has a landmark, so it's now 4/2 slots. of course to unlock Eltharions spells, you have to spend one of those slots on a grove to recruit another unit of war lions, the other minor slot goes straight to a embassy for tech and port income.

that leaves 4 slots in the main settlement, you'd be insane not to take the mage tower one for tech unlock and mages, the forge for the eagle claw bolt throwers because of all the advantages artillery adds (instant settlement attack for very little upkeep, forcing enemy armies to attack) and then we're down to 2.

so, really the actual choice here, the meaningful one without a clear optimal path that is between phoenixes vs dragons versus nobles versus handmaidens, you could drop the grove, but the biggest weakness of the mistwalker units is their lack of innate melee AP, so you kind of need those White Lions early on to krump the orc elites with heavy armor, in any case, it's a minor slot so the only thing you could reasonably replace it with is the forge and that in turn means no white lion chariots, it's also important to note that you're using the lion warbeasts as actual cavalry because you have zero fucking slots to fit actual cavalry recruitment in anywhere.

even after getting nerfsticked the 40 influence agents that provide income bonuses are just too good to pass up, to the point where having one standing around provides three times the value of the industry building you could conceivably put in there slot wise, so you really want those mage towers to maximize the number of agents you have running about.

in essence, the actual choice here is between slightly stronger armies from dragons and phoenixes versus a stronger economy, only it's really not much of a choice because agents trump army power by a significant margin and a decently levelled agent can, and will, outspank any dragon you can recruit if need be.
    Last edited by Liare; May 22 2020 at 03:05:45 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

I am all about dat Prince Imrik start right now. Starts off with beastly units, in an interesting new area of the map, at war with dwarves, and has mountain habitability.

RIP laddies. Many grudges gonna be settled- by Imrik. (((Grimgor-Imrik alliance???))) CA seems like they are taking the issue of "ordertide" seriously and I can't wait for game 3 when chaos dwarves put the nail in Thorgrim's coffin.

JFC imrik is broken
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; May 22 2020 at 05:02:13 PM.

well, i suppose i can see the rats running off, but really, Imrik is going to be rolling a full dragon stack anyway, so it's not like you're going to be lacking fear.

it's more like a "moar krunch, now!" button really.
    Viking, n.:

I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    I'm not following your arguments here. The empire building aspect of TWWH has always been shallow, but I don't feel having small capitals or provinces are a problem at all. You're expected to conquer fast and then specialize. By mid-game I have provinces dedicated to military, income, etc.

Eltharions capture mechanic is annoying, 25 seconds of hoping a deathblow is struck while the enemy lord runs off should be enough, but it's really not.
    er... don't activate the capture mechanic until lord is down to last sliver of hp? have literally never taken more than 5 seconds to complete a capture.

I personally love it when I'm trying to finish the enemy lord and my own dude on a mount is just pushing him towards the edge of the map weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee speed through a throng of my troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    er... don't activate the capture mechanic until lord is down to last sliver of hp? have literally never taken more than 5 seconds to complete a capture.
    and when is that ? because mounted Eltharion can wallop a target for in excess of 800 HP, but also furiously mastubate for 30 seconds doing fuck all, it's the latter instance that annoys me.
    Viking, n.:

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    and I can't wait for game 3 when chaos dwarves put the nail in Thorgrim's coffin.
    This is assuming the Dawi-Zharr can be arsed to go travelling. In the lore Tamurkhan had to generally kick them up a bit before some of them could be bothered to go crusading with him. Sure you have the ones operating Hellcannons but they are basically hired engineers.

What's your favorite faction/lord/campaign/army? I just keep coming back to playing the Fay Enchantress with a Bretonnia battlepilgrim/archer army (cause I'm a masochist) and Alith Anar with a full shooty Sea Guard/Shadowwarrior setup
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; May 25 2020 at 11:07:22 AM.

i am boring so i like the dwarves, usually wiith Grombrindal as the lord, and then just axes, shields, crossbows and artillery, maybe a bit of hammering too.

there is something truly special about watching organ guns mow down waves and waves of Greenskins and Skaven.
    Viking, n.:

Imrik with all of the legendary dragons is pretty unstoppable. Once you get your economy and public order/corruption control on lock its GG world. Economy a bit hamstrung from not being able to trade due to start position but eventually you get over that hump.

Ate the Silver Host/Khalida/Kroq-Gar for some easy clay before deaing with Queek and then taking on Grimgor (who is currently #1 power in my playthrough, waaghs stronk now)
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; May 25 2020 at 11:05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    and when is that ? because mounted Eltharion can wallop a target for in excess of 800 HP, but also furiously mastubate for 30 seconds doing fuck all, it's the latter instance that annoys me.
    when your archers or spellcasters go 'BLAP!!!' on a target made immobile.

me when playing grom

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    What's your favorite faction/lord/campaign/army? I just keep coming back to playing the Fay Enchantress with a Bretonnia battlepilgrim/archer army (cause I'm a masochist) and Alith Anar with a full shooty Sea Guard/Shadowwarrior setup
    The Empire!

I started a game a few weeks ago as Karl Franz (I haven't played Franz since before Reikland got un-fucked and Empire Buffed). Comfy AF. Same strategy still mostly works (re-capture Reikland, gank Marrienburg, kill Sarksnik).

Solidly comfortable in victory by about turn 75. Held off the entire Chaos Invasion at Baersonling's Camp with about 2000 men after liberating Kislev from the rats. Left Sylvania alive too long but crushed them effortlessly by attacking on multiple fronts. Last Defenders have captured everything south of Karaz a Karak and Barak Varr.

I just need for a confederation offer to trigger again to win short victory (I brought back Hochland for a dumb reason I now regret).

just had my coolest campaign battle evah vs Skaven who thought they could use an Assassin to bullshit ambush me while I was besieging Skavenblight and get Ikit Claw's army and the garrison to come join the fun. It was hella close, quite a massacre, and the Fey Enchantress, Paladin, Damsel and my 2 cavalry did one helluva job holding the line while the pilgrims and archers exchanged charges and countercharges with the vermin on the hill.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...14914463166298
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; May 27 2020 at 11:56:17 PM.

you're actually better off not taking marienburg. doing so contests the sea region shared with norsca tribes and causes them to start invading you much sooner. as odd as it sounds, norsca behave as if they don't even know you exist if you just expand inland. pushing east and taking out the vampire counts early (which in turn allows the dwarves to get established and give you a solid southern border), is definitely the more effective approach. joining the war against vampires alongside averland/stirland/talabecland also speeds up confederating the south, as you have more opportunities to return provinces to them.