hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 498996979899
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 1980

Thread: Total War: WARHAMMER

Tbh, I've been watching a lot of online matches, and Norsca aren't that bad. Turin beats them almost every time, you just have to build right.

Granted Turin is a lot better than I am, but the concept is solid anyway.
    Last edited by Alex Caine; August 18 2017 at 07:44:35 PM.

So which faction/lord will you all play through on the first run?

I'm definitely playing the most boring one first, High Elves. Warhammer High Elves were literally my gateway drug into geekdom as a teen way back in 1993, so i've always had a bit of a nostalgia boner for High Elf lore :3 After that's out of the way, skaven. Obviously.

Skaven or Lizards.

Skaven clearly cooler, but I like the look of Lizardmen a lot and I actually don't think my play style will gel well wi Skaven (I like powerful, elite units and dislike hordes....).

For me its probably lizards, I want to hold off on skaven until the combined map reveals skavenblight

Gotta defend the fallen gates brah

Are the skaven a horde? Damn, I hate horde mechanics in total war.

No a horde in that they have tons of expendable units like vampire counts, they take cities like normal factions

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    No a horde in that they have tons of expendable units like vampire counts, they take cities like normal factions
    Sorry, yeah. I meant the classic definition, not the terrible roaming total war horde system.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOLER View Post
    Im really looking forward to this, every bit more content they add seems to be better and better, although the power creep with the new released stuff needs to be toned down a little. Norsca for example are brutal to fight against as empire if they have a couple or 3 mammoth and berserkers will murderize swordsmen and greatswords.
    I was hoping to see skaven not caring about friendly fire also but a vid by party elite shows obstructed when trying to fire when slaves in the way hope they change that
    To be fair I think this may be only the case with those flamethrower style weapons. Having those be non-obstructed would be almost entirely pointless since you would exclusively hit your own troops.

I've heard people say the arching ranged units don't get obstructed but not confirmed myself.

I think they've also nerfed the Mammoth attack speed at least. Unfortunately the best counter to mammoths is Marauder Hunters with Javelins - on their own unit roster.
    I would quite like as skaven to throw a unit of trash tier slaves at a high end unit and flame the pair of them together tbqh.
    As far as mammoths handgunners do them in quite nicely, its just them and everything else and you still have to worry about the infantry being better than yours, even armoured skin wolves do ok against demis with halberds. and I always seem to get a map that is shitty for artillery
    They are beatable but it tends to be brutal
    psycho freak > BBC fleet

So after 150 hours (according to Steam), I've actually bothered to finish a campaign, though it was with Norsca and their goals are pretty straightforward.

Agree with Walrus they really need some sort of cinematic to bookend the thing. I mean there's not even a fanfare audio or anything when this screen pops up:

Spoiler:

At least I managed to kill every single human faction that wasn't my own, that's the main thing.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post
    Are the skaven a horde? Damn, I hate horde mechanics in total war.
    It's a fun game though you have to realize it isn't the right kind of war.

So after 150 hours (according to Steam), I've actually bothered to finish a campaign, though it was with Norsca and their goals are pretty straightforward.

Agree with Walrus they really need some sort of cinematic to bookend the thing. I mean there's not even a fanfare audio or anything when this screen pops up:

Spoiler:

At least I managed to kill every single human faction that wasn't my own, that's the main thing.
    Is ultimate a further victory condition than long campaign? or have i just idiotically stopped playing my dwarven campaign at long victory?

or did they rename them in the new game?

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post

Is ultimate a further victory condition than long campaign? or have i just idiotically stopped playing my dwarven campaign at long victory?

or did they rename them in the new game?
    Nah Norsca doesn't have a short or long version of victory so they've just called it "ultimate" for some reason.

I've been playing Norsca over the weekend and they are really pushing you to play aggressive on campaign map.

You just don't have money to go slow. It is a struggle to put some money on the side for the buildings. Basically, my local income covers the army (barely), all building money comes from raiding.

By turn 15 I got the mammoth from the friendly neighbour, at turn 30 the north dwarves are dead and I'm destroying western cities of Kislev (which are number 1 power in army strength).

I had to restart my first try, I didn't figure out that after you defeat their hero army you can immediately offer peace, then add confederation on that and demand money on top of it.
    Last edited by Corwyna; August 21 2017 at 06:05:05 AM.
    Hiro Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
    I've been playing Norsca over the weekend and they are really pushing you to play aggressive on campaign map.

You just don't have money to go slow. It is a struggle to put some money on the side for the buildings. Basically, my local income covers the army (barely), all building money comes from raiding.

By turn 15 I got the mammoth from the friendly neighbour, at turn 30 the north dwarves are dead and I'm destroying western cities of Kislev (which are number 1 power in army strength).

I had to restart my first try, I didn't figure out that after you defeat their hero army you can immediately offer peace, then add confederation on that and demand money on top of it.
    Yeah that's what I did in My campaign. Just steamroll the skaeling and varg armies, take all their lands and from there you can control the whole north area fast.

I'll probably play Skaven at the start since they are one of my favorite races.

Although I do like the idea of Lizardmen, as they seem similar to the Vampire faction in that they have cheap horde units and some small expensive strong units as well.

I'm not a fan of the micro play style, and just prefer to group things and throw them into the fray with a modicum of tactics (ie flank here and charge).

Been playing Norsca recently and they feel good when I play them. But it feels kinda slow, in that you can't get decent units until you get your t3+ buildings going at least. At least Berserkers are good enough to form the core of my armies.

Used to playing Chaos, and I want to try Beastmen. But I'll wait until that DLC goes on sale.

Once you have Skinwolves and Mammoths nothing really matters with Norsca. Berserkers can get to silly levels of weapon strength however with campaign & Wulfrik buffs.

Also,

Cons of Beastmen DLC:
    > Horde mechanics are boring
    > Mini campaign is utter drivel
    > Somewhat overpriced
    > Unique Beastmen mechanics aren't that interesting

Pros:
    > Minotaurs & Gorebulls
    > Holy fuck, Minotaurs and Gorebulls

Pros:
    > Minotaurs & Gorebulls