hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Steam hyjacked account dramallama

Steam hyjacked account dramallama

Hi all, wondered if you could offer any advice or past experiances if you have had a similar issue.

Yes yes its probably all my fault but i need to correct the following situation.

I had an email saying:
    Dear *******@hotmail.com,

This email confirms that your Steam account contact email address has been successfully changed.

We are sending this notice to ensure the privacy and security of your Steam account. If you authorized this change, no further action is necessary.

If you did not authorize this change... made from the computer located at 147.30.198.92 (KZ), please lock your account online and then request Support assistance to regain access to your account.

Thanks for helping us maintain the security of your account.
    so im like, OH DEM Kazakhstanians!
    im all hacked and shit.
    I quickly lock the account after checking and the site is legit... I then create a new support account (did this on my phone incase) with completely different details as they say and registered my ticket to hopefully save my STEAM! (im at work at this point).

Anyway some confusion then. my username isnt ******@hotmail.com. My username is different. So i change my email address because I can log in fine for some reason on my steam... So. I change my email on my account fine.

It then dawns on me. the *******@hotmail.com is the actual username of a SEPERATE account to what I use now.

So now I think someone has hacked one of my older steam accounts which had the same username as the Email address (i probably set this up many years ago when i was an internet noob... dont hate).
    Anyway anyone have any experiance of something like this to give any advice?

Apparently from what i can tell the username of *******@hotmail.com is linked up to a INBOX.ru account.

Cancel the CC tied to that account if you remember what it was.

Right the fuck now.

I dont have anything linked to it as i wasnt even aware I had that account. Ive switched banks in that time it must be pre 2009 from what i gather

I hope you didn't reset your account through the links in the email.

Don't ask us, ask steam/valve?

Yes this will probably involve filing paperwork in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as kindling. But it's also probably the only way.

Oh, and this quick google seems to indicate that valve has hired grade A pencil pushers to work these tickets.
    http://newenglandgamer.com/how_got_steam_account_back/

To be fair I would expect the process to be "lock account, spend next 4 weeks proving to valve you are who you say you are, provide blood and urine samples, eventually get account back"

They can't make it easy or it won't work.

Tapaderpin old skool
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Also never ever use your CC directly where paypal is available.
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Also: never use PayPal.

I've had my steam account stolen once and it was a piece of piss getting it back.

In 2009 albeit.

Ive raised the tickets. I think my actual steam account is ok, its a 2nd steam account i maybe started many years ago. Just wait for them to get back to me.
    I dont actually know how ill prove that the otherone is mine, although the fact the username is my actual email address should help me.

also- its my spam email address, not my actual useful email address.

You need a receipt for a game that was bought on that account.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Also: never use PayPal.
    >implying there's any downside to using paypal as a CUSTOMER.

Sellers regurarily getting shafted is another thing.

Back in the day, when every transaction required an account for both parties, I tried to donate a few Euros to a fellow programmer for his plentyful source code samples and help he provided in a forum. To make a long story short: the money never arrived (yeah, I had to take the word for it from that dude...), although it was withdrawn from my CC. And when I subsequently tried to cancel my account, PP refused to do so. A couple of years later I received a couple of emails, inidacting that my old account seems to have been hacked and used for fraud.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Never had an issue and reversed a couple transactions when vendors fucked up. vOv
    AGAIN, as a customer it's convenient. Certainly beats giving your CC details to random internet vendors.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    That's an advertisement for another online payment scheme. Nothing 'nuff said' about it.

I figured his link doesn't even warrant a response but lol thats even better.

It does though. Paypal is a total bag of dicks for merchants and the whole masquerading as a bank but "legally not quite" is... stupid.