hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Ship Thread - Federal Dropship

Ship Thread - Federal Dropship

has anybody flown this thing with it's new, significantly reduced price? does anybody has a diagram of where it's hardpoints are ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Only on beta server, its exactly the space whale you think it will be. Large hardpoint is on the chin, two upper body, two wings. The wings need at least gimballing, well all of them really cause you won't be doing much maneuvering.

The price reduction is nice and all, and the extra modules will be able to beef it a little bit, but it still is generally sub-par for anything combat related.
    Last edited by Torashuu; March 13 2015 at 11:19:14 AM.

i was thinking gimbaled large, turreted mediums actually, use it as a gunship basically, hence why i asked about hardpoint locations, not much point if all the hardpoints are mounted on the bottom next to each other.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

You could do that, but the coverage is such you'll be tickling folks with 2 medium turrets at a time, which miss more then hit beyond 400m. Its a nice concept, and I'd love to hear how it goes.

Turrets are fairly worthless, almost as worthless as this ship. You get what? 33% of the dps of a fixed version of the same weapon or thereabouts.
    Not to mention turrets are completely bonkers and will shoot any and all po-lice in the same resbelt.

Ps. you need 60mill to fit it out as well only to get a ship terrible compared to a vulture you get for a fraction of the price

aesthetics matter, that's why i fly a Eagle at the moment and intent to keep it in storage for future usage.

i kinda like the way the Dropship looks, it's ugly in a charming way and really does look like how i would imagine a future Huey or Hercules would look.

sure it's not pretty, but its quite possibly the sweetest sight imaginable when screaming in low over a alien planetary landscape.

i am propably going to keep the Vulture around once i get it because it's the better ship to earn money in, and propably upgrade it to a FDL or a Python down the road, but that doesn't mean the Eagle wont be undocked at regular intervals, maybe i will end up feeling the same about the dropship ?

turrets are getting fixed soon enough anyway, so the "i cant hit shit" past 20 seconds of firing bug goes away.

by the way, your 60m estimate is on the low side
      Spoiler:

[Federal Dropship]
    U: 0A Shield Booster
    U: 0I Point Defence
    U: 0E Kill Warrant Scanner
    M: 2F/T Pulse Laser
    L: 3E/G Pulse Laser

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
    RB: 6A Power Plant
    TM: 6A Thrusters
    FH: 5A Frame Shift Drive
    EC: 5A Life Support
    PC: 6A Power Distributor
    SS: 4A Sensors
    FS: 4C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 16)

6: 6A Shield Generator
    5: 5A Shield Cell Bank
    5: 5E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 32)
    4: 4A Auto Field-Maintenance Unit
    3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
    3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
    2: 1E Basic Discovery Scanner
    ---
    Shield: 211,44 MJ
    Power : 22,80 MW retracted (90 %)
    26,24 MW deployed (104 %)
    25,20 MW available
    Cargo : 48 T
    Fuel : 16 T
    Mass : 824,8 T empty
    888,8 T full
    Range : 14,65 LY unladen
    13,86 LY laden
    Price : 103.162.422 CR
    Re-Buy: 5.158.121 CR @ 95% insurance

and it doesn't even have armor O.O
    Last edited by Liare; March 13 2015 at 01:43:11 PM.
    Viking, n.:

the fitting tool hasnt updated the cost of the ship yet so 100 minus 38= 60ish, the cost of the fit.

Regardless, sure you can fly it and try to make something out of it in spite of its design, its just not particularly good at anything.
    Time will tell if it redeems itself somewhat once passengers become a thing

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    Turrets are fairly worthless, almost as worthless as this ship. You get what? 33% of the dps of a fixed version of the same weapon or thereabouts.
    Not to mention turrets are completely bonkers and will shoot any and all po-lice in the same resbelt.
    Yeah.. you should probably set your turrets to "fire at my target" and not "fire at will" - last panel of the right MFD.

And no, they are not useless. You just dont use them as your primary weapon system.

Even with fire at my target for the fitting& cap & heat they require they don't do a whole lot. And since almost all ships are capable of maneuvering enough to have gimballed versions face your target of choice there is really very little reason to fit them at all. imho.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Fedora dropshit
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

If you're really set on using one though, I'd go for something like this:

[Federal Dropship]
    U: 0E Kill Warrant Scanner
    U: 0I Chaff Launcher
    M: 2F/G Pulse Laser
    M: 2F/G Pulse Laser
    L: 3C/F Beam Laser
    M: 2F/G Multi-cannon
    M: 2F/G Multi-cannon

BH: 1I Military Grade Composite
    RB: 6B Power Plant
    TM: 6B Thrusters
    FH: 5B Frame Shift Drive
    EC: 5B Life Support
    PC: 6B Power Distributor
    SS: 4B Sensors
    FS: 4C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 16)

6: 6A Shield Generator
    5: 5D Hull Reinforcement Package
    5: 5D Hull Reinforcement Package
    4: 4D Hull Reinforcement Package
    3: 3D Hull Reinforcement Package
    3: 3A Fuel Scoop
    2: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner
    ---
    Shield: 329,09 MJ
    Power : 17,54 MW retracted (76%)
    22,02 MW deployed (95%)
    23,10 MW available
    Cargo : 0 T
    Fuel : 16 T
    Mass : 1.070,6 T empty
    1.086,6 T full
    Range : 9,38 LY unladen
    9,38 LY laden
    Price : 73.132.242 CR
    Re-Buy: 3.656.612 CR @ 95% insurance

Keep in mind though, you're still an easy target to anything Eagle and up. Though people with only lasers fitted will have a hard time chewing through that armor.

They will however find it piss easy to just kill your power plant... making stacking those hull packages pointless.

Well, the NPCs won't atleast (intentionally anyway), and the B rated ones are a smidge tougher on that aspect. If you're planning/expecting to be fighting players, just don't buy a Fed dropship.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    the fitting tool hasnt updated the cost of the ship yet so 100 minus 38= 60ish, the cost of the fit.

Regardless, sure you can fly it and try to make something out of it in spite of its design, its just not particularly good at anything.
    Time will tell if it redeems itself somewhat once passengers become a thing
    Can you not.

Oh, and I forgot, while it won't save you, the damage subsystems take scales with how much hull hp are left over, so stacking hull plates does extend the life of internals a little bit.

Ships actually usable now, tried it with this setup. Not going to win any prizes but it works.
    http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_dr...=.IwBhrSu5VI==