hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Assetto Corsa -- Now with "stable, epic PLUS Nordschleife"

I need to dig into the modding scene for this game, looks insanely fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

So is this one of those "Have a wheel or don't bother" games? Should I stick to Dirt Rally...?
    It looks interesting. Not 100% sold on the sound tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    So is this one of those "Have a wheel or don't bother" games? Should I stick to Dirt Rally...?
    It looks interesting. Not 100% sold on the sound tho.
    It definitely is yeah.

Sort of, it's playable with a controller but you'll be 6 or 7 seconds off the pace. Yes the sound reproduction is not as good as other sims.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    Sort of, it's playable with a controller but you'll be 6 or 7 seconds off the pace. Yes the sound reproduction is not as good as other sims.
    It's also entirely pointless to play a sim like this without a wheel imo, any of the fun involved in the driving that sims do is lost on a gamepad so might as well play games that specialize in making the gamepad interesting, like Forza etc.

So say that I get a wheel. This vs Project Cars 2. Pros & cons? Both seem interesting. How accessible is the online multiplay?

So say that I get a wheel. This vs Project Cars 2. Pros & cons? Both seem interesting. How accessible is the online multiplay?
    I'd say they're both valuable (sadly for you), especially after the latest Pcars2 patch. People will come in and say one is arcade or one is too serious or whatnot but odds are most of that info is outdated as hell and unreliable.

Pcars is more flashy and has the wonderful weather system plus rallycross, feels more exciting, this one is more sober and has the modding potential etc. They both feel stellar on the wheel but are slightly different and i'd wait for perhaps DarkFlare to tell you more, i think he recently tried both and is more updated on wheels and shit.

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    It probably comes down to preference to be honest. I play both reasonably regularly.

Highly subjective comparison coming:

PCars2:
    + Career mode
    + Graphics
    + Number of vehicles
    + Number of tracks
    o Tire model
    o Online - for me anyway, I don't really want to do GT3 at Monza all day every day like all the other PCars2 players seem to
    - FFB (subjective af)
    - Discrepancy in how well the handling of each car is modelled, some are great, some are not great
    - Price
    - Needs a beefy PC
    - THE FUCKING PENALTY SYSTEM IN CAREER HOLY SHIT

Assetto Corsa:
    + Tire Model
    + FFB (go away Stoffl)
    + Best Nordschelehguhefeiffei in any game (imo)
    + Multiplayer - for me I really love diving into the Norxshcjkshfele Trackday servers in road cars and having a punt around. Feels more like fun and less like tryhard pooheads in GT3 cars on PCars2
    + Not massive PC spec requirements
    o Graphics - they OK
    o Sound - it OK
    o Price - it OK
    o Mods - they OK but sometimes kinda janky
    - Less polished (imo)
    - No career
    - Not so much variety in tracks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

NO U
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Assetto corsa has had a career mode for ages now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post
    It probably comes down to preference to be honest. I play both reasonably regularly.
    After trying the demo of PCars2, I got that. Still haven't found the creds for a propper wheel tho, since it needs to be a "real" one with goof FFB and stuff. otherwise it seems kind of pointless. And those cost quite a bit.

Game is great overall, but what bothers me the msot about it is the AI. There always seems to be one group going equaly fast as eachother, but much faster than the player. While all the cars you've passed, just drop behind and give up. Also they seem to have magical traction, allowing them to take corners at much higher speeds. Something that's been observed by numerous streamers with expencive wheel setups, so it's not about me using a controller there.

...so anyway. From what I've seen the AI in Assetto Corsa is much better in these aspects. So that makes me want AC aswell. :P

Since they don't have a demo, how different is the handling between those two games?
    As a comparison I also tried the rFactor2 demo, and that was just unplayable with a controller. No ammount of fiddling would save that.

Side question: does AC have custom skins? Or is that just a iRacing thing?

I have also found that full realism on damage & stuff is both awesome and terrible. I was doing a 70s themed multiclass race. 25 laps of le mans with mandatory pit. I pit on the 16th as the rain was drying up. on lap 17, I get cut off by a slower car as I'm about to lap him. Messes up my steering. Game over. -_-
    Last edited by Ashaz; January 27 2018 at 05:12:41 PM.

They're all terrible on a controller. If you have a controller play forza, seriously.

Also I learned that I can't stand AC FFB. There is zero feel of the car losing grip and weight transfer for me and that just makes it completely unenjoyable.

Also afaik the pc2 and rfactor demos are severely outdated.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Isyel; January 27 2018 at 05:40:58 PM.

Idk the rage regarding the ac ff, with a g25 it has spot on ff regarding loss of traction. Maybe less regarding mass transfer.

Btw if you want a good cheap wheel look for used. It's what I did with my g25 and although the shifter kicked the bucket it was successfully replaced with a thrustmaster t8rs, which is basically impossible to break ^^

Had to do some repairs over time since some of its plastic bits broke, but nothing impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Idk the rage regarding the ac ff, with a g25 it has spot on ff regarding loss of traction. Maybe less regarding mass transfer.

Btw if you want a good cheap wheel look for used. It's what I did with my g25 and although the shifter kicked the bucket it was successfully replaced with a thrustmaster t8rs, which is basically impossible to break ^^

Had to do some repairs over time since some of its plastic bits broke, but nothing impossible.

Yes and it's mainly the mass transfer that annoys me the most. As a result I find AC deeply unenjoyable.

To each their own and all. But when I tried to find more info on this to fix it and could find too many dev posts were they were fhc level cunts (but, you know, representing their product) I am mostly inclined to tell their product to go fuck itself. :P

It also won't be my wheel because it works perfectly for that in other games, so it's squarely on the game.

Last edited by Isyel; January 28 2018 at 07:15:07 AM.

AC's feedback is nice but it does seem a bit soft and fluffy compared to other sims. Doesn't seem to come in quick enough and hard enough. Great if you like to drive really smoothly. Not so good if you like to whip it about.

IIRC it's based on suspension loadings rather than virtual wheel/rack interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    AC's feedback is nice but it does seem a bit soft and fluffy compared to other sims. Doesn't seem to come in quick enough and hard enough. Great if you like to drive really smoothly. Not so good if you like to whip it about.

IIRC it's based on suspension loadings rather than virtual wheel/rack interaction.
    According to devs the main reason is its trying to simulate how the wheel in a real car would feel, but isolated. So in other words a bit pointless in a sim because you don't have any of the other feedback from the car itself. It's why according to them they added the other effects you can set for additional curb feel etc. but all with an extreme level of "this is fake ffb and you're bad for using it but we have to do it because you whine so much" or something.

To be clear, I don't think it's bad as such, it just doesn't give me what I look for in ffb which makes it not as interesting to use.

Assetto Corsa Competizione has been announced.

New assetto corsa in UE4 is yay but then i see it's GT3 only. Booooooooooo. Interest plummeted heavily.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/

In other news, after recent patches Project Cars 2 is pretty damn great. Also Rallycross is brilliant.

One thing that realy bothers me with sim racing in general is that cars are either right or left wheeled.
    "nuh this is a british car so it's gona be a rightie"

That's so stupid. I mean, if it is supposed to simulate real racing, what real racer would not buy a car with the wheel on whatever side he or she preffers? It's stupid and bloody anoying. Especialy when it comes to things like "this car is american, but McRae used to drive it and he had the wheel on the right, so..."
    As a swede, I just can't drive as well with the wheel on the right. This makes alot of cars unusable to me.
    It's not realism. it's flawed design.

One thing that realy bothers me with sim racing in general is that cars are either right or left wheeled.

That's so stupid. I mean, if it is supposed to simulate real racing, what real racer would not buy a car with the wheel on whatever side he or she preffers? It's stupid and bloody anoying. Especialy when it comes to things like "this car is american, but McRae used to drive it and he had the wheel on the right, so..."
    As a swede, I just can't drive as well with the wheel on the right. This makes alot of cars unusable to me.
    That's... what...

The cars are simulated after real specimens, and that's part of it.

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar

git gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS