hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

Thread: Sunless Sea

  1. #41

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,614
    Quote Originally Posted by GiDiYi View Post
    Apparently I've caught a severe case of small dev studio games since this is the fourth title in a row that looks extremely entertaining with an immense depth to it that I just picked up (after I've finished the other three being The Witness, Firewatch and Undertale, they're all very good and entertaining). There's a shitload of stuff to read, but I do that for a living in the first place so whatevs.

    When the tutorial is confusing, the game made some mistakes. But I am willing to put some effort into it, because I fucking love rogue likes.
    Get FTL and Adom

  2. #42
    Voulture's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,182
    Is this game any good? Played in very early beta, was a cool concept but got very repetitive very qucikly. How much was improved/added?

  3. #43
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    30,889
    Played it for half an hour. Even if the writing is the second coming of christ it's not worth the bore.

  4. #44
    GiDiYi's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    3,363
    Okay, I happen to die a lot. Any hints on how not to die frequently due to starvation or an empty fuel tank? How do you make money in this game in a convenient and sustainable way?

  5. #45

    Join Date
    December 20, 2013
    Posts
    600
    Get port reports at every port you visit, every time. Turn them all in every time you go back to London. That's generally enough for sustainability.

    Also do your best to get Intel from the islands the Admiralty specifically requests, but don't turn it in right away. Save them til you have two and combine them, worth more that way.

    As for actual profit, there's all manner of ways. The Venturer in London, hauling from Polythreme or the Salt Lions, passengers from a few different places, smuggling red honey or sunlight...

  6. #46
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    21,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Eranziel View Post
    Get port reports at every port you visit, every time. Turn them all in every time you go back to London. That's generally enough for sustainability.

    Also do your best to get Intel from the islands the Admiralty specifically requests, but don't turn it in right away. Save them til you have two and combine them, worth more that way.

    As for actual profit, there's all manner of ways. The Venturer in London, hauling from Polythreme or the Salt Lions, passengers from a few different places, smuggling red honey or sunlight...
    Breaking up is probably for the best.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    December 20, 2013
    Posts
    600
    Something I suspected and just confirmed: killing sea monsters reduces terror. I think sinking pirates does too. Something to keep in mind when that terror bar starts getting full.

  8. #48
    Lady Spank's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Get Out Nasty Face
    Posts
    5,064
    Sunless Sea is currently 66% off ~ 4.75

    There is a new DLC for the game which adds SZubmarines, new stories, locations, enemies, challenge and a new layer to the map. I'd report on how expansive this seems but I died trying to access it. Duh!

    Protip: You don't need to start a new game to access the DLC and it is in your interest to have some progress and resources before trying to access it. You can look up exactly what is required if you don't like finding out for yourself.
      Spoiler:
    Essentially there are a few fetch quests involved before you get your ship retrofitted for Zubmarine travel.


    The Zubmariner DLC is 7.99.

    I haven't exactly reached the new map but have had my interest in the game restored. There are new locations, stories and whatnot even without accessing the new map. I forgot how I enjoyed the storytelling and discovering new locations.
      Spoiler:



    (ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

  9. #49

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,614
    Have they done anything to the horrible grindfest that was the endgame? It was quite easy to get to a point where you had nothinh to fear and just needed to grind the damn stuff ad nauseaum for a ending.

  10. #50
    Saul's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    2,359
    Seems I have Zubmariner... without buying it. Must be an early adopter reward or something I suppose. I've never 'finished' a game yet, always died to something stupid.

  11. #51
    Lady Spank's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Get Out Nasty Face
    Posts
    5,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Seems I have Zubmariner... without buying it. Must be an early adopter reward or something I suppose. I've never 'finished' a game yet, always died to something stupid.
    Dying multiple times is part of the expected game play. You retain certain assets or experiences each time.
      Spoiler:



    (ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

  12. #52
    Saul's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Spank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Seems I have Zubmariner... without buying it. Must be an early adopter reward or something I suppose. I've never 'finished' a game yet, always died to something stupid.
    Dying multiple times is part of the expected game play. You retain certain assets or experiences each time.


    It was more an observation that I've still not made it to the end-game, if there even is one. And that's with 40 hours played, albeit a lot of that when it was in early access!

    The free copy of the DLC was because I picked the game up in early access, which is a really nice little surprise. The same will of course be true for anyone else here who bought it early.

    Determined to do better and see a captain through to retirement. I always struggle with cash though, Salt Lions is only good for a couple runs these days before they start sending you into the middle of nowhere and I've never gotten far enough to find other cash sources. Never owned any ship better than the starter ship since the early days when money was more plentiful.

  13. #53

    Join Date
    December 20, 2013
    Posts
    600
    Really good to hear they added a bunch of stuff. I agree, Spank, my favorite part was the storytelling and exploration of the unknown. Sounds like the DLC would be a winner for me, should check it out.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    December 20, 2013
    Posts
    600
    Finally picked up the DLC. So far, can confirm goodness.

    It had its hooks in me deep enough for me to stay up way too late playing last night. So I'm going to blame my latest death on sleep deprivation... and I was doing so well too. Tons of fuel and supplies, but cleverly managed to get myself to 99 terror at Mt Palmerston, on the far corner of the map from London. No chance to reduce terror, failed to fight off the mutiny at sea while full-powering towards Irem.

  15. #55
    Donor Shiodome's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    I am a white male.
    Posts
    5,251
    picked this up on steam sale. really is a gem. some of the writing made me RL lol

    definitely worth buying if you've been looking at the sale and nothing has really jumped out at you.

  16. #56

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,614
    Might maybe someday give this a second go, after release before the DLC the game was horribly grindy, knew what I would need to do to win but also how many repeat trips around the same places without any risk that would have been

  17. #57

    Join Date
    December 20, 2013
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Might maybe someday give this a second go, after release before the DLC the game was horribly grindy, knew what I would need to do to win but also how many repeat trips around the same places without any risk that would have been
    I found the DLC to reduce the grind a bit, but also added a huge amount of new stories and places to explore. I'd definitely recommend.

    On a related note, I'm looking forward to Sunless Skies. The kickstarter page said they were aware that grind and shallow combat were shortcomings of Sunless Seas that they were planning to address. As long as they don't water down the stories, that sounds great to me.

  18. #58
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    21,321
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Might maybe someday give this a second go, after release before the DLC the game was horribly grindy, knew what I would need to do to win but also how many repeat trips around the same places without any risk that would have been
    Just before i go.

  19. #59

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    6,614
    Not sure if it's worth a new thread, or a rename, but i noticed Sunless Skies is now out, and is getting pretty good reviews for being an iterative improvement on Sunless Sseas without changing the feels.

    Bought it and will hopefully give it a whirl this weekend.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

  20. #60

    Join Date
    December 20, 2013
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Not sure if it's worth a new thread, or a rename, but i noticed Sunless Skies is now out, and is getting pretty good reviews for being an iterative improvement on Sunless Sseas without changing the feels.

    Bought it and will hopefully give it a whirl this weekend.
    I bought it just after Christmas and have been waiting til official release to give it a spin. Off for a week if vacation now, but then I'll be diving in.

    Let us know how your (mis)adventues go.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •