hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunless Sea

Sunless Sea

Sunless Sea was released from early access a few days ago. It's a very good FTL-style open world roguelike (sorta), with an interesting setting and excellent writing. Combat is kinda meh, but from what I've seen so far it can be completely avoided. Worth having a look at imo.

Quite far from FTL, as the sense of urgency is pretty much lacking and involves plenty of grinding (visiting the same islands again and again) but still decent fun. (I have 15 hours played, have been passing the time with this while ill).

Watched the video, thought it looked interesting. Went and watched 5 minutes of a stream and am not so sure. It's a $20 game so I'll probably install it when I get bored of DD, but Sunless Sea seems to require a lot of reading. I can't see it being compared to FTL. Rats vs Guinea Pigs? it might be overly corny for any sense of tension to set in.

It's a lot of fun, but is not action oriented at all. It's more like a rogue-like version of monkey island. Doesn't feel like a grind at all - if you like exploration then this is for you. Yes you visit the same islands over and over, but there is so much stuff to do on the islands.

This is wicked. Buy it for the stories and the writing, not for the combat.

Ok I got the game and have played it a bit.

I haven't gotten very far into it - but I'll say this much: THIS is the game I wanted to play when I was in 6th Grade. I used to love reading those Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books and always thought that one of those books would make for a good game. That's pretty much what this is: one big giant Choose-Your-Own-Adventure. Sure you move around on a map, but if you take the moving around out - the rest of it is choosing XYorZ with a bunch of words attached. The combat in the game is simple: 1v1 against small or medium ships - you win easy. 1v1 against small monsters you win usually taking a little damage. Against medium monsters you can win taking heavy damage. If there is a monster and a ship together, run. If there are 2 medium ships, run. 2 small monsters you can win against taking a little damage. But I just started, once I learn more or have a better ship - then maybe things will go differently.

Anything dies 1v1 if you get the jump on them and can just tail the target forever.

Also invest in better engines pretty much as soon as you can (the 500 cost ones are a bit meh, but the 1000 costs ones will do wonders).
    Last edited by depili; February 10 2015 at 05:17:43 AM.

Monsters, even big ones, are very easy to kill by not letting them ram you - and i don't mean evasive maneouvers, just stay very close or even push them. Works on the moths, crabs and sharks, even in a stock starter ship - didn't feel like testing on a lifeberg though. As Saul said, buy for stories and writing, not combat.

Remembered where this came from.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Anything dies 1v1 if you get the jump on them and can just tail the target forever.

Also invest in better engines pretty much as soon as you can (the 500 cost ones are a bit meh, but the 1000 costs ones will do wonders).
    Hahah no... on both counts. The more powerful the more fuel they guzzle - efficiency is important. Tailing stuff works well for many enemies but will just get you dead against some.

the fuel used per tile moved seems to be pretty much constant, true, but then again fuel is practically free anyway due to port reports, so go fastah.

Currently have just about the whole map explored and plenty of heirlooms on my wall, next steps would pretty much require a way bigger ship (either way more cargo or something to take on a 600hp monster for its core...). so would mostly be a money-grind and certainly not looking forward to that...

I made it to my 3rd generation captain. I sold the 1x1000 item I found to the university guy. I got the 500 gun and 500 engine. I chose to help the guinea pigs in their war against the rats - we won militarily and they gave me a lot of food and fuel. I've probably explored 25% of the map and fear the loss of income when I run out of port reports to sell. I have all of my officer slots filled except for the first mate. Oh and I guess I picked up a romantic interest back in London - I fully expect she'll cheat on me and I hope I get the chance to kill her afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland View Post
    I made it to my 3rd generation captain. I sold the 1x1000 item I found to the university guy. I got the 500 gun and 500 engine. I chose to help the guinea pigs in their war against the rats - we won militarily and they gave me a lot of food and fuel. I've probably explored 25% of the map and fear the loss of income when I run out of port reports to sell. I have all of my officer slots filled except for the first mate. Oh and I guess I picked up a romantic interest back in London - I fully expect she'll cheat on me and I hope I get the chance to kill her afterwards.
    You can turn in the port reports again and again, you just won't get the admiral's favors the next time.

You get the favours each time as well, but there is a random factor depending on the base. The closest bases don't give favours but the further ones do. Sometimes it increases, sometimes it doesn't. Also some reports give extra bonuses like terror reduction. The admiralty has a good laugh and opens up the drinks cabinet apparently

Regarding engines, yeah the 500 gun and engine are good upgrades. Strangely the 1000 gun is a downgrade, that's obviously bugged. Also the other more expensive engines are no good on the start ship - they just guzzle fuel. Power / weight does not increase speed linearly.
    Last edited by balistic void; February 10 2015 at 06:47:40 PM.

I just keep runing out of fuel and/or suplies before I can get anywhere. Halp!

Well for starters bring lots with you - and don't go so far that you run out. Learn the places where you can resupply. Map is randomly generated each time (unless you inherit map from last char). Some places sell really cheap fuel, other places are good for supplies. Some places don't sell anything!

If money is the problem do the missions for the blind bruiser, also pick up stone from the salt lions on the way back to London.

Welp, I accidentally restarted my game. Was patching, but the patch was taking forever to start so I clicked cancel... which happened to be on the same spot as "start new game" on the UI ... next thing I know, I'm starting a new game and my old game is toast.

Not upset as I don't feel like I've gotten far enough into the game for it to really matter, but kinda worried this kind of thing could happen again and it makes me wonder if I should be playing in safe mode so that I can have a save game to return to.... Nah. I'll probably be playing something else a week from now, cause that's how I roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    It took me a while to realize this, so I'll mention it anyway: You burn fuel faster with your searchlight on.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    It took me a while to realize this, so I'll mention it anyway: You burn fuel faster with your searchlight on.
    Well, shit.
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Having the lamp off also increases the amount of terror you gain while sailing, that can also lead into issues.

New patch arrived today, adds one more thing for the aux slot, lowers the cost of the corvette by 1000 (yay!) and fixes some unspecified bugs (get via the "new stories" button).