hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sim battles or am I the only one playing this?

Sim battles or am I the only one playing this?

played a good 4 games today, and got one solid kill + one assist that didn't register (he crashed trying to land after I shot one of his gears leg off)

The kill I got was in an event where I ended up being 1v8 (Being bad a spotting + neurotically climbing as high as possible keeps me alive pretty late in games lol) I ended up spotting an IL-2 straffing ground target and pepper him a couple of times with my f4 until his friends came in. I spotted a yak coming in first roughly head to head, so I faked going vertical and when he went for it I made a cowardly Sir Robin of myself and ran for base.

A dude that was spectating me told me I had 3 behind me, and 2 more at the base, I had seen the 2 extra dudes behind me but the event I was playing in has limited availability and the f4 is basically the fastest plane around, so I was pretty confident they wouldn't catch up. I eventually got back to the airfield and luckily there was a low cloud just behind it, so we fucked around in there for something like 5 minutes. Eventually I spotted p-40 that was running away, got behind him and noticed I had like 2 minutes of fuel left... so I closed the gap and pulled the trigger from about 6-700m away and his left wing tip flew off.

Success!

Now on 45 seconds of fuel or so, I turned back, and made a pretty poor landing on a dead engine, I was repairing but then the game gave me a finger and ended aniway.

This game type is hard m8trs.

no joystick, no trackIR, no point crew checking in
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

I know there is a heavy hate on for arcade, but I can't be assed spending 10-15 minutes flying across the map in RB/SB to get one or two kills tops or (and most likely) getting one shot by the first fella I come across.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    What the fucking fuck in the fuck fuck is going fucking on here?

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeves View Post
    I know there is a heavy hate on for arcade, but I can't be assed spending 10-15 minutes flying across the map in RB/SB to get one or two kills tops or (and most likely) getting one shot by the first fella I come across.
    the kills are much much much more rewarding. and norway/spain aside there's generally action within the first 5mins. play events if you want quicker RB though

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    the kills are much much much more rewarding. and norway/spain aside there's generally action within the first 5mins. play events if you want quicker RB though
    Yeah, but arcade baddies will helicopter up after my P-47 Every. Goddamned. Time. It's like blast fishing with artillery.

That said, I should probably try RB again now that I've given up trying to use a joystick, and have actually spaded some planes. US planes without any performance upgrades are not happy in RB.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    the main problem with US planes in RB is you the space needed on unspaded planes to get the alt. and generally people at lower tiers go 'lol fuck climbing' so you either can't get the space to get alt, or if you do get there you get there alone, and unless the other team are literally braindead you won't be able to keep your advantage

so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    the main problem with US planes in RB is you the space needed on unspaded planes to get the alt. and generally people at lower tiers go 'lol fuck climbing' so you either can't get the space to get alt, or if you do get there you get there alone, and unless the other team are literally braindead you won't be able to keep your advantage

so yeah.
    This is exactly why I stopped trying to fly my US planes in RB. Being the one lonely F4F at altitude got really tiresome really quickly. Throw in joystick controls on top of it and I was just feeding people a steady stream of lions and RP. Figured I'd cut my losses and go bounce idiots in arcade instead.

Now that I've actually got a reasonable selection of fast-climbing planes for all nations though, it's probably time for me to head back.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.

Fuck guys this is the sim battle thread.

Eh, sim air battles are a lot of effort for not a lot of reward, IMO. If I'm going to go to that much work, I'll just fire up Cliffs of Dover or DCS and do it properly instead of half-assing it in WT.

-O

Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post
    Eh, sim air battles are a lot of effort for not a lot of reward, IMO. If I'm going to go to that much work, I'll just fire up Cliffs of Dover or DCS and do it properly instead of half-assing it in WT.

-O
    Every time I get a kill in SB, it's way more rewarding than RB, just because it's so much harder.. If you're speaking RP/Lions wise, just throw more money at it and enjoy the game instead of running the grind?
    DCS has limited amount of WWII planes and Cliffs is old as fuck now :P Both have limited "Jump in an rape face" MP in comparison to WarThunder (When awesome SB events are up).

Quote Originally Posted by Bamse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post

-O
    Every time I get a kill in SB, it's way more rewarding than RB, just because it's so much harder.. If you're speaking RP/Lions wise, just throw more money at it and enjoy the game instead of running the grind?
    DCS has limited amount of WWII planes and Cliffs is old as fuck now Both have limited "Jump in an rape face" MP in comparison to WarThunder (When awesome SB events are up).
    Also there is very little "new" dudes in cliff or dcs so it's a shitty place to start if you dont like being wtf bbq'ed over and over.

I am with you on this. I do have a decent Hotas and would even enjoy flying in Sim mode more because - physics. I simply don't want all that flying around for it to be over in amatter of seconds though. Sure a kill in SB is worth more and satisfactory but to me it simply ain't worth the stupidly long cruising around. Arcade gives me instant satisfaction. Once you are good at it you can wreck through people with burning and exploding planes left and right.

With tanks it is a different matter. You have to drive a bit further too but it not such a big issue. Tanks in RB and SB are good fun.

To be fair, in the awesome combined SB Events, you'd only have to fly for 2mins until you were over the action of the tanks, so it's only really a problem in regular air SB (Which I don't play either).

Tanks in RB is annoying as fuck because of markers, sure the distance indicator is gone but people will just randomly shoot at the magic marker and snipe you through a forest. In SB, at least you have to be haxoring, extremely fucking lucky or just plain awesome to do the same. I do remember an RB event with no markers which was fun, but fuck I couldn't adjust to the third person view of tanks not being zoomed in xD

Playing some of the event tonight, the hellcat is fucking broken with flaps I turn in a zero.

3 kills no death in two games, I am finally k/d positive in this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamse View Post
    To be fair, in the awesome combined SB Events, you'd only have to fly for 2mins until you were over the action of the tanks, so it's only really a problem in regular air SB (Which I don't play either).

Tanks in RB is annoying as fuck because of markers, sure the distance indicator is gone but people will just randomly shoot at the magic marker and snipe you through a forest. In SB, at least you have to be haxoring, extremely fucking lucky or just plain awesome to do the same. I do remember an RB event with no markers which was fun, but fuck I couldn't adjust to the third person view of tanks not being zoomed in xD
    Oh i agree! If they would bring the RB and SB combined battles like the events were i would only play SB. That was pretty damn cool.
    Considering i never waited long to get a match i would say people did like it too.

I am a rubbish SB pilot but bombing a tank with the IL-2 was a lot of fun.

can't for the life of me kill anything with a 109 or a 190, then switch into a la-5fn and bag a kill in the first 6 minutes.

Jesus fuck I was getting seriously self conscious there!

So I went and bought an X-52 pro Hotas.

Played some Sim battles.

got my first kill!

Spitfire ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post

Played some Sim battles.

got my first kill!

Spitfire ftw.
    wanna fly with me?

i'll get on FHC TS

edit:

Also by cranking my video settings up (seems like my graphics card was basically idling before lol) and putting all my axis at 1 to 1 I suddenly can fly a 190 or a 109 and score kills!

I managed to aim straight without massive fucking wobbling, that game is mine now.

I used not to be able to spot anything, but with max AA and just about max everything I can track planes over trees and all now.
    Last edited by Baarhyn; March 24 2015 at 01:41:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post

Played some Sim battles.

got my first kill!

Spitfire ftw.
    wanna fly with me?

i'll get on FHC TS

edit:

Also by cranking my video settings up (seems like my graphics card was basically idling before lol) and putting all my axis at 1 to 1 I suddenly can fly a 190 or a 109 and score kills!

I managed to aim straight without massive fucking wobbling, that game is mine now.

I used not to be able to spot anything, but with max AA and just about max everything I can track planes over trees and all now.
    I'd love to play with you, I also have trouble with Wobble so maybe you can guide me through what you changed and we can kick some arse.

I only have German and British Aircraft tho, and german ones I only have up to tier 2 atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post

Played some Sim battles.

got my first kill!

Spitfire ftw.
    wanna fly with me?

i'll get on FHC TS

edit:

I'd love to play with you, I also have trouble with Wobble so maybe you can guide me through what you changed and we can kick some arse.

I only have German and British Aircraft tho, and german ones I only have up to tier 2 atm.
    i'm hanging around fhc TS just about everytime i'm on my PC, just hop in whenever.

Also low tiers are more forgiving I find, people make mistakes.