hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: DARKEST DUNGEON

Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post
    I stopped playing when I figured out that the paladin can cast a -5 stress shot, all you have to do is leave one random spell caster alive in a group, then tank the dmg with the heal girl it does while de-stressing everyone 5 stress at a time.

It takes fucking ages but you can basically never die. Everyone at 0 stress, full health and full torch (the heal spells boost your torch) after each fight. One good crit from an enemy = 12 rounds of cheesing or something. So it's tedium galore.
    Pfffff, pleb.
    I play at 100% stress and 0% light.
    胆小鬼的泪
    The true battle only begins when you lose.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese nippels View Post

Pfffff, pleb.
    I play at 100% stress and 0% light.
    0.2 Is a success. *Seriously need a better name* proxied in juniper order ranger, ashnod's altar, and a lot more at work.

I stopped playing when I figured out that the paladin can cast a -5 stress shot, all you have to do is leave one random spell caster alive in a group, then tank the dmg with the heal girl it does while de-stressing everyone 5 stress at a time.

It takes fucking ages but you can basically never die. Everyone at 0 stress, full health and full torch (the heal spells boost your torch) after each fight. One good crit from an enemy = 12 rounds of cheesing or something. So it's tedium galore.
    That got patched out weeks ago m8. If you try to cheese with stuns and healing then the game will ramp up the stress on all your heros depending on how many rounds you do it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoes View Post

That got patched out weeks ago m8. If you try to cheese with stuns and healing then the game will ramp up the stress on all your heros depending on how many rounds you do it for.
    Ha, i guess that's better then cause it was the boringest cheese i had to do in a long time.

cheeses game
    complains it's boring
    never change, gamers
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    cheeses game
    complains it's boring
    never change, gamers
    Its stronger than me mate, I literally cant help it.

story time:

When I was young I had Final fantasy 7 on the playstation, and I didnt read english.

Now for the part up until you get aeris I managed to get shit done semi-fast, bumbling my way without understanding anything from the text. All was well until the don mansion quest where you need to get girl shit to cross dress to get in.

I spent 2 months of my life roaming around that town blindly clicking on things until I eventually managed to get in...

Then all was well up until I left midgar and got to the chocobo farm, I never figured out how to catch a chocobo, and you need one to dodge a huge fucking snake in the swamp to progress.

Well, I spend like 4 months of my life grinding monsters to get powerful enough to kill that fucking snake. I ended up something like lvl 45 when youre supposed to be lvl 15.

It completely broke the game since I was vastly over leveled for like the first half of the game.

Since those days, I have developed a strong aversion to tedious but necessary gameplay. The moment I feel like im beating on those purple worms and thiefs in the two screens before the derelict town at the bottom of midgar (I have killed hundreds of thousands of both of them) my mind snaps.

call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    cheeses game
    complains it's boring
    never change, gamers

story time:

When I was young I had Final fantasy 7 on the playstation, and I didnt read english.

Now for the part up until you get aeris I managed to get shit done semi-fast, bumbling my way without understanding anything from the text. All was well until the don mansion quest where you need to get girl shit to cross dress to get in.

I spent 2 months of my life roaming around that town blindly clicking on things until I eventually managed to get in...

Then all was well up until I left midgar and got to the chocobo farm, I never figured out how to catch a chocobo, and you need one to dodge a huge fucking snake in the swamp to progress.

Well, I spend like 4 months of my life grinding monsters to get powerful enough to kill that fucking snake. I ended up something like lvl 45 when youre supposed to be lvl 15.

It completely broke the game since I was vastly over leveled for like the first half of the game.

Since those days, I have developed a strong aversion to tedious but necessary gameplay. The moment I feel like im beating on those purple worms and thiefs in the two screens before the derelict town at the bottom of midgar (I have killed hundreds of thousands of both of them) my mind snaps.
    so all game design everywhere should change because of your autistic childhood

cheeses game
    complains it's boring
    never change, gamers

story time:

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Well don't fucking do that."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Anyway , regarding Darkest Dungeon.

Its a cool game and I cant say that I have played anything like it in the past few years. It does need a bit more content though , although thus far I have got around 17 fun filled hours out of it.

Its not going to steal my attention as much as The Binding of Isaac though , as although it does have a fair amount of RNG , you can generally max / min things after a few runs and some experience playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by tHornton View Post
    cheeses game
    complains it's boring
    never change, gamers

story time:

No, im just good at finding optimal strategies in games, and thus if I find it alot of people will find it too and if it makes you invincible then its a bad game design.

My end of the bargain is deciding not to use the trick, and I personally cant help it.

cheeses game
    complains it's boring
    never change, gamers

story time:

No, im just good at finding optimal strategies in games, and thus if I find it alot of people will find it too and if it makes you invincible then its a bad game design.

My end of the bargain is deciding not to use the trick, and I personally cant help it.
    While the "game design" portion of my brain agrees with you - games shouldn't allow players to become invincible, it's clear from years of gaming that the vast majority of players actually like figuring out ways to become invincible.

Sad thing is that your method of "gaming" the system isn't nearly as interesting as raising your death's door check to over 100% and playing a party at 0hp and being invulnerable.

call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    also the fact that aalso i just learned that ur story of autisming the system grinding on lows literally wont even work in this game

also the fact that aalso i just learned that ur story of autisming the system grinding on lows literally wont even work in this game
    LoL

Atleast it's past autism, you don't want to know how long I spent on the grown up forest temple in ocarina of time because I didn't know that one of the songs move the fucking grey blocks around.

So trinkets are worth using now.

So steam say this has been updated and is 10% off atm. Anyone got the summary for someone who's only watched it streamed a few months back?
    Or do I just read this, which doesn't have an obvious button to view earlier changes.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; May 29 2015 at 06:49:41 AM.
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I dont think it has enough new content yet for me to go back to it.

3 new bosses and two new classes , along with some quality of life changes.

Kinda meh

Ok.

The big changes beyond the new bosses/area are:

1) Your character dies from a heart attack if stress reaches 200. Get a couple of afflicted characters together and things go down hill really fast.

2) Something has changed with the critical system (you even get criticals on healing now) plus receiving a critical hit seems to give far more stress which compounds with 1.

Minor changes are sorting buttons for your heroes and trinkets, and the ability to sell trinkets (although it isn't explained how).

I actually don't like the changes. The far greater variation in the effect of criticals means that getting hit a couple of times in a round can get you easily killed, and if they are AOE crits you are fucked.

I was reading on the steam forums that one person lost their whole starting party of 4 on the first run without getting any chance to run. If they are to be believed they entered the last combat room on half health, got two AOE crits, followed up by double bleed attacks, and before they got to click a button everyone was dead.

It has obviously changed the meta and now it is AOE spam crits are king because the longer a battle runs the more likely you'll get AOE crit spammed back.

Got this on sale a couple months ago. Finally cracked it open today, put in a few hours.

On the one hand, it's awesome fun. On the other hand, being woken up while camping and then having every single enemy for the next two fights focus their attacks on your healer until she dies is kinda fucking annoying.

So is running out of money. Somehow, I when I retreated from a quest that I was going to lose ( because healer got focused down, see above) I brought home all of the heirloom loot, but none of the money. So I'm trying to buy provisions for the next quest with only a thousand gold, and it's a medium quest.

Not sure what else they may have changed over the last several months. On the one hand, game is challenging and rewarding. On the other hand, RNG says fuck you despite all of your preparation, and you can't do anything about it. I guess I like roguelikes better when I feel like I earn every loss, rather than just having them handed to me.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Is there more actual content yet?

I got kind of tired of fighting the same three bosses over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Got this on sale a couple months ago. Finally cracked it open today, put in a few hours.

On the one hand, it's awesome fun. On the other hand, being woken up while camping and then having every single enemy for the next two fights focus their attacks on your healer until she dies is kinda fucking annoying.

So is running out of money. Somehow, I when I retreated from a quest that I was going to lose ( because healer got focused down, see above) I brought home all of the heirloom loot, but none of the money. So I'm trying to buy provisions for the next quest with only a thousand gold, and it's a medium quest.

Not sure what else they may have changed over the last several months. On the one hand, game is challenging and rewarding. On the other hand, RNG says fuck you despite all of your preparation, and you can't do anything about it. I guess I like roguelikes better when I feel like I earn every loss, rather than just having them handed to me.
    I'm not sure what has changed over the last few months - but the strategy I used when I played the game was to hire basically every hero that came. I would send out waves and waves of low level heroes with very little equipment, and as soon as a couple died I would abort the missions. I would just quickly farm up a nice warchest and slowly build a team keeping only the best ones I recruited.