hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: DARKEST DUNGEON

TB and others could only charge what the makers could afford. Indie games simply can't (they just have to try end up on top of the pile of such free copy offers by virtue of any established reputation); and big games wouldn't be paying for exposure but rather specific content & 'opinion', which costs a lot more/can't be bought from some (typically those with the largest reliable followership for the same reason).
    Basically such people can only sellout once, and then everyone drops them & they're forgotten, so you don't suggest that ex-streamer-x could make bank from repeated selling out. It just doesn't work out like that.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; February 6 2015 at 10:17:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerzi View Post
    I really don't understand Twitch, and how some indie games get picked up in such an insanely huge way. I mean yeah obviously if a massive streamer plays a game it's going to have a lot of viewers. But it seems this game just went straight to like 15-20k viewers overnight. I mean it's pretty great and all, but the insane Twitch hype feels like it came out of nowhere.
    When the game first lauched - Total Biscuit was one of the first streamers and he brought along about 350,000 viewers. It isn't surprising that this kind of exposure would explode the number of other streamers who give the game a try.

BTW, he was awful at the game.
    i quite like laughing at his apparent ineptitude at many of the games he stream, the salty tears during heartstone games is also quite amusing in their own right, but the whole "WTF is..." first impression videos is generally speaking worth watching.

even if he talks too much about basically nothing watching the actual gameplay gives a much better impression and makes it easier to locate a shitty console port from miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    TB and others could only charge what the makers could afford. Indie games simply can't (they just have to try end up on top of the pile of such free copy offers by virtue of any established reputation); and big games wouldn't be paying for exposure but rather specific content & 'opinion', which costs a lot more/can't be bought from some (typically those with the largest reliable followership for the same reason).
    Basically such people can only sellout once, and then everyone drops them & they're forgotten, so you don't suggest that ex-streamer-x could make bank from repeated selling out. It just doesn't work out like that.
    precisely, the sane ones and probably the ones that will survive long term care a lot about that, going to significant lengths to point out when it's sponsored content and so on and so forth

but a disturbing percentage seems willing to sell everything up to and including any shed of decency for a dime, much like traditional games media really. (HI GAMESPOT!)
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Week 16, only lost people to the Hag. It's gotten to the point where I have two lineups and a few reserve to shuffle around, one of each type of class:

Vestal/Highwayman/Hellion/Crusader
    Occultist/Plague Doctor/Bounty Hunter or the rogueish girl/Leper or Jester

I have a lot of positive traits on my characters but a lot of negative ones too. I've been opening up the Sanitarium to slowly get rid of some negatives so I have one party out killing while the other is in the sanitarium or abbey/tavern. There have been a few close calls but I think my strategy is a fairly safe one, that has two different playing styles. The Occultist and Plague Doc go well together, you can Wyrd heal with occultist and battle medicine with the plague doctor to stop the bleed. It's a better heal than the Vestal sometimes but is up to random chance. Vestal is a better healer but Occultist can heal and debuff, nice to have since weakening curse can stack, but for a lot of bosses it's better to just throw as much damage at the boss as you can rather than try to wear them down.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    There is seriously some funky stuff going on with the RNG sometimes. Get fights where 90% of the hits are crits (from both sides) :S

XenosisReaper
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    There is seriously some funky stuff going on with the RNG sometimes. Get fights where 90% of the hits are crits (from both sides) :S
    You don't know rage till you've been crit by every AOE attack for 3 rounds in a row

(also 1 crusader 2 Hellions 1 Vestal will clear everything normally with less stress than they started, they need a bit of a nerf)

Also I agree with the "why is it easier to heal/remove stress in combat than it is in camp/in town"

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisReaper View Post
    Also I agree with the "why is it easier to heal/remove stress in combat than it is in camp/in town"
    Personally, I'd like to see every hero lose 50 stress when they complete a mission and return to town, but also for every Hero to gain like 5 Stress per week that they sit in town doing nothing.
    At the same time, I'd like to see Heroes left in town earn random small sums of cash while they are left to their own devices.

The impact would be that you are more likely to have one good team of adventurers along with maybe 2 that are hot swaps.. and then the rest of the dorks that you bring into town turn into laborers guarding/repairing the town instead of facing the dungeon. It would encourage players to have a larger roster of Heroes, while at the same time making your favorite heroes even more important.

Personally, I'd like to see every hero lose 50 stress when they complete a mission and return to town, but also for every Hero to gain like 5 Stress per week that they sit in town doing nothing.
    At the same time, I'd like to see Heroes left in town earn random small sums of cash while they are left to their own devices.

The impact would be that you are more likely to have one good team of adventurers along with maybe 2 that are hot swaps.. and then the rest of the dorks that you bring into town turn into laborers guarding/repairing the town instead of facing the dungeon. It would encourage players to have a larger roster of Heroes, while at the same time making your favorite heroes even more important.
    There are random events that can happen when you leave heroes in the Abbey/Tavern. I've had gambling win or lose gold or win an item, praying sent my crusader on a holy vision where he's unavailable for a week, and you can get negative quirks on any of them that need to be removed in the sanitarium. Perhaps a sort of cabin fever quirk if you leave them in town doing nothing for too long would be appropriat.e

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Perhaps a sort of cabin fever quirk if you leave them in town doing nothing for too long would be appropriat.e
    If you added a negative, for staying in town too long, without adding any counterbalancing positive - the net result would be to further discourage increasing the size of your team. Your initial 9 slots really are enough. That's why I added the bit about making innactive heroes do labor around the city. The money that you get is your "tax" since it's your land. It's also a realistic answer because that's what happens in the real world: lots of people hear about an opportunity to make a lot of money, too many people show up so the extras end up working odd jobs waiting for a chance to get into the real action. While working those "odd jobs" they become disillusioned with the entire business of going there in the first place.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

You don't know rage till you've been crit by every AOE attack for 3 rounds in a row

(also 1 crusader 2 Hellions 1 Vestal will clear everything normally with less stress than they started, they need a bit of a nerf)

Overspark: is going to attack.

Weed mods.

DANKEST DUNGEON

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Weed mods.
    DANKEST DUNGEON
    I hadn't even thought about it till this post - DD apparently can be modded. This is a great thing since some of the character classes are clearly too powerful (Hellion, I'm looking at you). I plan on trying my hand at a mod package.

1. I think Bandages and anti-venom should be a whole lot cheaper to buy - but should be very rare as loot drops. Bleeding and Poisons should last a lot longer than they do, to make bandages and anti-venom more useful.

2. I think dungeons should start at 100% dark, and if you want light you have to light up the torches immediately. The effects of light/dark need to be tweaked such that if it is 100% light, you will always see traps and if it is 100% dark then you never see the traps. Traps should also add bleed/poison almost exclusively as their form of damage. Torches should cost about half of what they do, but burn down at double the rate.

3. Stacks of food should probably be 8, instead of 12.

The overall goal would be to make it so that you fill up your inventory with consumables when setting out and then have to decide what to dump in exchange for loot. Also the balance between Light and Dark is completely off right now. Anyone who has played for a bit probably realizes that buying torches not only is a waste of money, but also reduces the loot you get from dungeons - that imbalance needs to seriously be tweaked.

How about: if you drop items, they can persist on the ground such that you could choose to trek back to them later, at the cost of stress. Still only 1 inventory's worth taken out of the map. Perhaps a chance that dropped items are stolen/gone when you get back to them.
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    How about: if you drop items, they can persist on the ground such that you could choose to trek back to them later, at the cost of stress. Still only 1 inventory's worth taken out of the map. Perhaps a chance that dropped items are stolen/gone when you get back to them.
    Personally, I wouldn't want this - but it would be interesting to know if it's possible to mod this kind of behavior into the game.

Anyone who has played for a bit probably realizes that buying torches not only is a waste of money, but also reduces the loot you get from dungeons - that imbalance needs to seriously be tweaked.
    Nope. I like my reduced chance of being surprised and non-buffed monster ACC and DAM, thank-you-very-much.

The fact that you and I have opinions on complete opposite sides of the spectrum tells me that the balance is just fine. You think the increased reward is worth the risk, whereas I think less risk is worth a little gold.
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Anyone who has played for a bit probably realizes that buying torches not only is a waste of money, but also reduces the loot you get from dungeons - that imbalance needs to seriously be tweaked.
    Nope. I like my reduced chance of being surprised and non-buffed monster ACC and DAM, thank-you-very-much.
    The fact that you and I have opinions on complete opposite sides of the spectrum tells me that the balance is just fine. You think the increased reward is worth the risk, whereas I think less risk is worth a little gold.
    When I went onto their forums to try and learn about Modding the game, I was really surprised by the number of people asking for the game to be made easier than it is. When I finally find the values I want to modify, I'm planning on making it more difficult. And nerfing the Hellions.

Became interested in modding, couldn't figure out how to mod the dungeon lighting and got distracted by other games.

Any chance any of you have done any modding for this game? I'm interested in modding the default lighting for dungeons; amongst other things.

call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    This game pwns

sent from anti fat nerd posting device

call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    Idk why you say it's easy though, I mean once you have a steady flow going it's easy enough but I've had a few parties get alpha striked off the map leading to hella stress and it all snowballs from there

sent from anti fat nerd posting device

I am up to week 43. So far have lost 3 heroes.

The difficultly is random. Sometimes I waltz through a dungeon killing everything, other times I am forced to abandon 2 rooms in after copping waves of crits and everyone sitting at death's door.

If you are like me and always open, examine, read everything (or have heroes with compulsions) then you'll soon build up more negative traits than you can remove. I have two "clean" heroes with no negative traits but everyone else has between 2 & 6 - you need consider carefully what to remove.

I still haven't unlocked all the upgrade slots in the various hamlet structures either.

Due to the huge influence the RNG has it will be hard to adjust the difficulty balance without wildly swinging one way or the other. I lost two of my heroes in one battle simply because the fighters kept getting pushed to the back and almost none of my party were in the right positions to use the abilities I needed until the Occultist and Grave Robber were killed.

Interesting little game and well worth the price.

I stopped playing when I figured out that the paladin can cast a -5 stress shot, all you have to do is leave one random spell caster alive in a group, then tank the dmg with the heal girl it does while de-stressing everyone 5 stress at a time.

It takes fucking ages but you can basically never die. Everyone at 0 stress, full health and full torch (the heal spells boost your torch) after each fight. One good crit from an enemy = 12 rounds of cheesing or something. So it's tedium galore.