hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 362

Thread: DARKEST DUNGEON

  1. #1
    Mona's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,261

    DARKEST DUNGEON


  2. #2
    Lief Siddhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    6,251
    dunno why but first thing i thought was hellboy and mike mignola
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,078
    This looks quite good, the voice acting sounds quite good as well.

  4. #4
    Cerzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    1,170
    Immediate hype for this. Can't buy until the 3rd but there's a version of ye old bay of yarr that I'll be checking out right now.

  5. #5
    Cerzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    1,170
    Game has serious potential, the VO and writing in general is exceptional which really seperates this from some of the more generic 'roguelike-likes'. Often this kind of vector graphics feels a bit sterile for me but here has a lot of charm. Gameplay itself is very interesting, definitely has a sort of old-school D&D feel with the expeditions, events, camping and the most interesting thing about the game which is the stress mechanic. Having your tank become so stressed that he becomes abusive, thus causing his companions to get even more stressed out and become problematic in other ways (maybe your healer becomes paranoid, your assasin becomes fearful, etc etc) - on top of rare positive results of stress (eg stalwart) really makes things interesting. Although right now (I could be wrong here) it feels like stress only actually has a gameplay impact once it hits 100 - and once it hits 100, your character gains a stress-related trait until he rests in town, which makes lowering it during the run feel a bit pointless.

    There's also some balance issues that need to be worked out. For example you can essentially force weeks to pass by just picking up new party members from the wagon (which are completely free to hire, and you can upgrade the wagon to bring 4 new guys a week) and sending them off to dungeons while you completely polish off your veteran heroes, removing all their stress and bad traits etc. I guess some might be fine with this, but it feels very against the spirit of the game, as it essentially means if you're willing to grind enough you can completely remove all the negative aspects of your strongest heroes, and never have to make compromises. What's more interesting is being forced to be more efficient with your manpower, perhaps having to send in a completely stressed out PTSD-to-fuck veteran who has a bag of positive and negative traits because there's nobody else left alive for the job. And in that way time becomes a more scarce resource; you can't afford to just leave people in town for weeks until they're chisled into flawless OP motherfuckers. It's clear the game is all about dealing with these incredibly flawed heroes, so hopefully the gameplay will be modified to enforce that a bit.

    But yeah, already an awesome and very unique game that I think will get picked up by the likes of RPS in a big way soon.

  6. #6
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    9,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerzi View Post
    Game has serious potential, the VO and writing in general is exceptional which really seperates this from some of the more generic 'roguelike-likes'. Often this kind of vector graphics feels a bit sterile for me but here has a lot of charm. Gameplay itself is very interesting, definitely has a sort of old-school D&D feel with the expeditions, events, camping and the most interesting thing about the game which is the stress mechanic. Having your tank become so stressed that he becomes abusive, thus causing his companions to get even more stressed out and become problematic in other ways (maybe your healer becomes paranoid, your assasin becomes fearful, etc etc) - on top of rare positive results of stress (eg stalwart) really makes things interesting. Although right now (I could be wrong here) it feels like stress only actually has a gameplay impact once it hits 100 - and once it hits 100, your character gains a stress-related trait until he rests in town, which makes lowering it during the run feel a bit pointless.

    There's also some balance issues that need to be worked out. For example you can essentially force weeks to pass by just picking up new party members from the wagon (which are completely free to hire, and you can upgrade the wagon to bring 4 new guys a week) and sending them off to dungeons while you completely polish off your veteran heroes, removing all their stress and bad traits etc. I guess some might be fine with this, but it feels very against the spirit of the game, as it essentially means if you're willing to grind enough you can completely remove all the negative aspects of your strongest heroes, and never have to make compromises. What's more interesting is being forced to be more efficient with your manpower, perhaps having to send in a completely stressed out PTSD-to-fuck veteran who has a bag of positive and negative traits because there's nobody else left alive for the job. And in that way time becomes a more scarce resource; you can't afford to just leave people in town for weeks until they're chisled into flawless OP motherfuckers. It's clear the game is all about dealing with these incredibly flawed heroes, so hopefully the gameplay will be modified to enforce that a bit.

    But yeah, already an awesome and very unique game that I think will get picked up by the likes of RPS in a big way soon.
    I'm hoping some type of time limit is introduced in the story mode to help speed things along so you can avoid that, or characters regress and get weaker if left in town too long.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    929
    They need to make it so that Heroes get a increasing chance to gain negative traits for each week they are left in town. So you can't leave them in town and wipe clean their traits as if you do they will start gaining them faster than you can remove them.

    Also if they made it so that the Sanitarium wasn't a 100% chance to be successful and had a chance to actually make the hero worse, adding another negative trait or something.

    I would be pretty happy with those changes.

  8. #8
    Surveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    803
    Post it on their forums? They seem very active and already are looking into changes to 'fix' some 'exploits'.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    21,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkash View Post
    They need to make it so that Heroes get a increasing chance to gain negative traits for each week they are left in town. So you can't leave them in town and wipe clean their traits as if you do they will start gaining them faster than you can remove them.

    Also if they made it so that the Sanitarium wasn't a 100% chance to be successful and had a chance to actually make the hero worse, adding another negative trait or something.

    I would be pretty happy with those changes.
    Are you in.

  10. #10
    Shaftoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Ships
    Posts
    1,709
    Purchased.

    Will give it a go tonight

  11. #11

    Join Date
    September 10, 2014
    Posts
    461
    Got it. Evening disappeared.

    My strategy:

    1. Did not upgrade barracks at all.
    2. First few weeks, hired every person who showed up and fired anyone who I didn't like.

    I'm on week 12 or so, got my first level 3 hero, and still have a barracks size of 9. I have not had any heroes die, but I've fired a lot of them. As for the best ways to rest the heroes - I fully upgraded the Meditation choice and fill the slots each time. I suspect other choices would be as good or even better, but I do think that choosing one rest method and upgrading it fully is probably a good idea.

    Game is quite fun. I have a feeling I'll put as many hours into it as I did FTL.

  12. #12
    Shaftoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Ships
    Posts
    1,709
    I'm like 20 weeks in. Game is really fun

    Lost 5 dudes so far. One to bad RNG and another to a huge derp against a boss on my part

      Spoiler:
    Protip , against the swine prince do not attack the smaller pig until you have killed the big one. I oneshot the smaller one on the first turn and the boss went nuts and basically killed my party in around 4 turns


    My favourite party mix is a leper for tank , followed by a highwayman, then a plague doctor for crowd control and a vestal for healing. My MVP is most likely my highwayman as I have a bunch of legendary trinkets on him which have seriously upped his firepower. Grapeshot will oneshot most basic enemies. I also swap in a bounty hunter and a hellion when my A-type is undergoing stress relief. Currently have to train another B-team though as they all died and my A-team is too high level to go back and kill some of the bosses now

  13. #13

    Join Date
    September 10, 2014
    Posts
    461
    I made it to week 20ish before I lost my first hero. At about week 24 I must have crossed some invisible barrier because all of a sudden, ALL of the challenges became much much more difficult and I started losing a lot more heroes even though I'm still running basically all level 1 challenges. I now have 4 Heroes that are level 3, 2 highwaymen a Jester and a Vestal.

    I upped the number of Heroes on my team to 11 - because I accidentally spent all of my money upgrading my heroes/stress relief and I needed to bring in a couple low level guys to send on a battle to earn cash. My team looks something like this:

    2x Knightlooking tanks
    1x Hellion
    2x Highwaymen
    2x Jesters
    2x Graverobbers
    2x Vestals.

    For any particular attack, I choose one of the first 3, 2 of the second group, and a healer. Highwaymen with Grapeshot and Gallows Humor are fantastic. Jesters are amazing against enemies that can bleed as well as at the campfire. Graverobbers ... I have no idea why I keep using them, but I do. I had a plague doctor and liked him, but he died and I haven't had a chance to pick up another one with decent quirks.

  14. #14
    tHornton's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    Posts
    5,569
    game looks interesting but holy shit the fucking guy doing the preview is an infuriating moron




  15. #15
    XenosisReaper
    Guest
    game is fun

  16. #16
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,378
    Ziggy looks like he did a play on his stream, and cut the first 3 segments into YT vids. Seems enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  17. #17
    Cerzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    1,170
    I really don't understand Twitch, and how some indie games get picked up in such an insanely huge way. I mean yeah obviously if a massive streamer plays a game it's going to have a lot of viewers. But it seems this game just went straight to like 15-20k viewers overnight. I mean it's pretty great and all, but the insane Twitch hype feels like it came out of nowhere.

  18. #18
    Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    9,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerzi View Post
    I really don't understand Twitch, and how some indie games get picked up in such an insanely huge way. I mean yeah obviously if a massive streamer plays a game it's going to have a lot of viewers. But it seems this game just went straight to like 15-20k viewers overnight. I mean it's pretty great and all, but the insane Twitch hype feels like it came out of nowhere.
    Mate did you just arrive via time machine from 1998?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

  19. #19

    Join Date
    September 10, 2014
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerzi View Post
    I really don't understand Twitch, and how some indie games get picked up in such an insanely huge way. I mean yeah obviously if a massive streamer plays a game it's going to have a lot of viewers. But it seems this game just went straight to like 15-20k viewers overnight. I mean it's pretty great and all, but the insane Twitch hype feels like it came out of nowhere.
    When the game first lauched - Total Biscuit was one of the first streamers and he brought along about 350,000 viewers. It isn't surprising that this kind of exposure would explode the number of other streamers who give the game a try.

    BTW, he was awful at the game.

  20. #20
    Cerzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    1,170
    It must just be weird as an indie dev to be so at the whim of TB and such. Without that level of exposure they basically remain obscure cult games. Have seen many awesome little indie games come and go over the years that just aren't acknowledged by a major streamer, and just stay in obscurity. Like, if I was being a cynic (al brit hur) - TB and other personalities like him could charge an absolute ton to spotlight a game. Any other form of marketing/PR is just jack shit in comparison these days.

    I watch Twitch pretty much every day and have done for 4-5 years, but sometimes it still floors me just how completely fundamental it is to gaming today.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •