hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: DARKEST DUNGEON

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    So, first playthough. Week 5.

Doing ok, I think, tons of stress and bad traits, but ok.

Do a run with my (early) favorites, the Starter Crusader, a Bounty Hunter, Vestal and that Wyrd Heal Turban guy.

Finish the run successful, keep adventuring cause need cash.

Ran into some thing.

Suddenly: Shambler.

Killed all 4 of my dudes, wasn't even a challenge.

Not pleased, up to that moment was all "cool, this group is doing GREAT!". Winning fights, healing well, even Stress kinda-sorta in check.

WTF Shambler?

That's what this game is, then? Frustration simulator?
    You are not supposed to fight ANY Shambler unless you want to. You can avoid all of them. There arew two ways to fight one:
    1. Torch into Altar (shuffle your team a bit before ).
    2. Wander through pure darkness for small chance of random shambler.

Both can be mitigated by a) not using altars (quirks can't activate them, no worries), b) Having a bit of light (if you want more loot and is pretty sure your team can deal with a bit harder enemies keep light between 5-30)

Really, don't fight them unless you are prepared, buffed from camp / have a bit more lvls (lvl 2 vs lvl 0 etc) / some equipments / trinkets. It's pretty easy to deal with lvl 1 shamblers if you know how to.

I thought I could learn this game drunk.

NOPE

Requires you pay attention.

Will try again after a few hours and coffees.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Decided to try this again after all the updates.

One thing I noticed was that treating stress and quirks gets more expensive as a character levels. This means that you can easily run out of cash if you have a string of abandoned quests. Also the jump in difficulty when you go to the second level (3-4) of quests seems bigger (I was getting wrecked by the first encounter who - thanks to dodge/protection - took far less damage while their return attacks seemed to hit far harder.

So I sacked everyone and rebuilt with fresh bodies off the stage coach. Already had a lot of trinkets so suddenly I am rolling in cash again.

The one thing I can beat atm is the damned canon. I focus on killing the match man each round by eventually you fail due to RNG and then boom everyone is at death's door. Given its protection you only do 1-2 damage to the canon per attack so even using many AOEs it takes forever to wear the bastard down, while one bad RNG combo means you fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post

One thing I noticed was that treating stress and quirks gets more expensive as a character levels. This means that you can easily run out of cash if you have a string of abandoned quests. Also the jump in difficulty when you go to the second level (3-4) of quests seems bigger (I was getting wrecked by the first encounter who - thanks to dodge/protection - took far less damage while their return attacks seemed to hit far harder.

So I sacked everyone and rebuilt with fresh bodies off the stage coach. Already had a lot of trinkets so suddenly I am rolling in cash again.

The one thing I can beat atm is the damned canon. I focus on killing the match man each round by eventually you fail due to RNG and then boom everyone is at death's door. Given its protection you only do 1-2 damage to the canon per attack so even using many AOEs it takes forever to wear the bastard down, while one bad RNG combo means you fail.
    Get someone to mark it and bounty hunter to smash it.

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post

Get someone to mark it and bounty hunter to smash it.
    Bring an Occultist, Arbalist, Bounty Hunter and an Abomination. Should give you plenty of chances to smack the Fusilier.
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Iron Swan Hellions ftw iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Iron Swan Hellions ftw iirc.
    Hellions are good, but Abos win due to stunning in human form and lots lots of damage as monster. BH is great when having an occultist to mark, which of course is great for the arba too
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Thanks for the tips, I was trying to neutralise all the bandits and was only hitting the canon as part of AOEs. Will give marking a go.

Just did a long run through the ruins at 1st level. Found a collector and a secret room and left with just a touch under 30,000 gold. Had to leave a lot of loot behind due to lack of space in the early rooms.

Thanks for the tips, I was trying to neutralise all the bandits and was only hitting the canon as part of AOEs. Will give marking a go.

Just did a long run through the ruins at 1st level. Found a collector and a secret room and left with just a touch under 30,000 gold. Had to leave a lot of loot behind due to lack of space in the early rooms.
    You were doing it well. Just not enough damage apparently. STack some good dmg trinkets on your guys and go with 4 dmg dealer and it should be a cake. ARbalest, houndmaster, bh, maa etc. You don;t need speed, reinforcement never act in first round. Just kill whoever is summoned and slowly work this cannon down. Only problem can be at lvl 3 cannon and necro where they can summon 2 tile guys sometimes. Than you need some additional stun here and there.

I think I lack the nerve for this game. I'm not happy watching so many of my dudes die to RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

Mortality; clarified with a single roll.

I think I lack the nerve for this game. I'm not happy watching so many of my dudes die to RNG.
    There can be no hope in this Hell.

No hope at all.
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

How quickly the tide turns!

Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Lol.

Got three "teams" set up, two main teams, one cannon-fodder team.

Team 1:
    Crusader + Highwayman + Occultist + Vestal

Team 2:
    Leper + Leper + Man-at-Arms + Vestal

Team 3:
    Bounty-Hunter + Dead/Whatever + Dead/Whatever + Occultist

Doing ok so far, Team three just lost the two "Dead/Whatever" guys, a Jester and a Witch Hunter, er, Grave Robber.

Been running the short missions, trying to build up some cash and level up dudes to Level 1-2 at least, upgrade some armor/weapons/skills before I do anything longer/harder/bosses.

Am worried trying a Medium length, shit as I am, will wipe one of my two "main teams" and cause instant, irrevocable rage-quit.

You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

Remember kids: Everyone dies, and not every death is pretty.
    Darkest Dungeon just does its best to remind you of this.

BTW, your kitten or puppy is going to die too. And your goldfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland View Post
    Remember kids: Everyone dies, and not every death is pretty.
    Darkest Dungeon just does its best to remind you of this.

BTW, your kitten or puppy is going to die too. And your goldfish.
    Over the years, lost my Cats of ages 18, 16, 15 and 8 my friend, good friends all.

I don't plat video games to replicate that particular emotional response :P

With that said, the frustration (surely part of the intended design/challenge) is thinking you're doing ok/planning well/etc. and getting FUBAR'd by RNG and your well crafted, well-loved, well-planned party dies to some lame mob you should have had no problem with but somehow dodged three attacks in a row and hit your healer with a 20 point out-of-nowhere crit.

Donor

Just pulled it off w/o marking with level 1 characters. had a man at arms, bounty hunter, jester, and vestal. I basically either attacked the cannon or stunned the match stick duder. Jester was doing solo then finale usually targeting matchstick duder. Vestal was either doing group heal, single heal or stun matchman, bountyhunter was stuning match man or attacking cannon, man at arms was doing retribution for the riposte to kill off the other two and attacking the cannon and stunning if shit hit rotary impeller.

This worked until the last 5ish turns had cannon down to 5 hp and matchstick man decided he was neither going to be stunned or take damage received the fuck off attack from the cannon my bounty hunter and jester went deaths door and were finished off but not before I ohfuck damage rushed the cannon to death. I spent the next 4 rounds trying to keep my vestal and man at arms who were at low HP alive long enough to kill off the three fuckers. I managed to pull that off by dumb luck. It helped that they were all low HP due to riposte but I left that encounter very sad and with a sore asshole.

I suffered the opposite. Got the canon down to 5 HP when everyone decided to miss / fail stun in a round so the canon went boom. Everyone on death's door (had a really bad trip to the boss fight) killed canon next round but then the two double dagger strike bandits kill all 4 of my dudes before I can GTFO.

So far this is the only boss I have failed to win against. The number of turns needed to finish the fight increases the chance of the RNG really fucking you over.

Donor
    I suffered the opposite. Got the canon down to 5 HP when everyone decided to miss / fail stun in a round so the canon went boom. Everyone on death's door (had a really bad trip to the boss fight) killed canon next round but then the two double dagger strike bandits kill all 4 of my dudes before I can GTFO.

So far this is the only boss I have failed to win against. The number of turns needed to finish the fight increases the chance of the RNG really fucking you over.
    Have you tried not dying?