hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 197 of 198 FirstFirst ... 97147187194195196197198 LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,940 of 3957

Thread: Steam/D2D/games sale thread

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    I haven't played anything on the Windows Store version, but I played through the intro, saved the game and reloaded. Took about 10 seconds.
    Interesting. That's faster than I got even on the pirated retail version. Might be worth another crack at it then if/when it gets mod support. Cheeky bastards still want £30 for it retail. A £30 game it is not.

Super Maderator DonorGlobal Moderator Hels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Are you done now you sad sack of misery?

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    games from the xbox store/game pass install into an encrypted directory that you're not allowed to access, so they load slow asshit and you can't even so much as tweak an ini file - modding is out of the question unless the game has specifically built support for the xbox version
    This is not a "hey you might want to be aware there are some limitations fam" post.
    Seems like a valid concern to me.

Consider this matter settled. Or I start handing out timeouts for people being dick heads in the chill subforum.

As a side note, it's possible to get access to the Windows Store folder. It's in Program Files, and called WindowsApps. You need to transfer ownership to your account to get access, but it's a bit futile so far. I have access, and I am *in* the Content folder where the paks-files (for mods) are store, but I haven't got write access. I'm going to tinker a bit with it, but looks like Windows sayeth no. But given what's in the link I posted, I'm assuming mod support will come at some point.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    because you may decide something like "I quite like this game so I'll buy it on another platform and stop paying a fiver a month to MS for the rest of the games I'm not playing any more" or "Well I'm quite enjoying this lovely new game from ${INSERT_DEV_HERE} but the lack of mod support is a bit annoying so I'm going to jump ship to the retail copy" and you'll have to start all over again

are those not sane issues to potentially warn your friends and acquaintances about? would you be happy to lose all your gameplay progress? sure in a bunch of games it doesn't matter, and if you can put up with the slow downloads and the stupendous levels of effort MS have put into keeping you out of the game files then it is an absolute bargain, but if it's going to bite you it's going to hurt

just thought you ought to know

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    dunno if it helps elmicker, i did find something about changing settings in delivery options (tick to limit both sliders, set to 100%) and that helped a bit
    So I was talking specifically about game load times - particularly first load times or after updating - but it's nice to see downloads have improved. If memory serves I couldn't get it past 10MB/s for love nor money. It appeared to be delivering content in an encrypted or at least heavily compressed format (not unusual - Steam and Origin do variations on this) that takes a fucking age unpack. It's very hard to tell what's actually going on under the covers because MS have taken some really draconian measures to keep you out of the directories - the same stuff they use for Windows Store apps but turned up to 11. Even as a machine admin you can't grant yourself read access to the folders without getting seriously invasive. Normal permissions just don't work.
    nah my download was dogshit before i messed around in there too. also saw anecdotally that downloading through the windows store, rather than the xbox app gives much better speeds but didn't want to tempt fate.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    As a side note, it's possible to get access to the Windows Store folder. It's in Program Files, and called WindowsApps. You need to transfer ownership to your account to get access, but it's a bit futile so far. I have access, and I am *in* the Content folder where the paks-files (for mods) are store, but I haven't got write access. I'm going to tinker a bit with it, but looks like Windows sayeth no. But given what's in the link I posted, I'm assuming mod support will come at some point.
    Does the old "mount the partition in Linux, ignore Windows permissions" trick still work? Or is it legit encrypted? Since you can boot Mint etc. from a thumb drive, might worth a try if anyone is really persistent.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; July 28 2020 at 10:41:48 PM.

it's only encrypted on download - they're not decrypting on the fly

linux would get around the windows perms no bother

I've mounted the disk in Ubuntu using Windows Subsystem for Linux, and I'm able to open the folder, but no dice on actually writing anything to it. Might be diffrent using something else than WSL, but it's too late to fiddle around with it now.

The measures in place to prevent you from taking full ownership might not be active if booting in safe mode. There are other folders in which you normaly don't have access, e. g. System Volume.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Forza on Game Pass just clean refused to start on my PC with some vague error message. Tried many things which didn't help. Googling led me into a couple of threads of people with similar problems without any solution, a situation which apparently existed for quite a while already. I ragequit Game Pass then and went back to my vast and cavernous Steam library. But if it works for you guys then great.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Forza on Game Pass just clean refused to start on my PC with some vague error message. Tried many things which didn't help. Googling led me into a couple of threads of people with similar problems without any solution, a situation which apparently existed for quite a while already. I ragequit Game Pass then and went back to my vast and cavernous Steam library. But if it works for you guys then great.
    i didn't have that - main issue i had was d/cing from live every few mins. googled around and changed some address something points too and all fine now (touch wood). really enjoying it!

I realize this is not the thread for it (though I found nothing more appropriate, sorry >_>) but I figured I might as well; I've picked up an Xbox One last Christmas, and we've been mostly playing Diablo 3 local coop with my GF and that's been a load of fun; but we've both hit paragon ~1000 already and it's getting quite boring. Figured I'll have a look for something we can both play at the same time on single console, but with the exception of figher games (which neither of us is very fond of), I haven't been able to find almost anything that'd work for couch co-op. No racers, no turn-based games, nothing. Is there some gem that I've missed?

I think the one thing I've found that we found somewhat interesting was Minecraft Dungeons

e: obv I'd prefer stuff that's on Game Pass, but it's not a necessity
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Split screen co-op has a filter on Steam. https://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=39

20XX is on all consoles & that list, if you like a MegamanX clone.

P.S. Also maybe the Trine series, or Streets of Rogue?
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; August 9 2020 at 11:40:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Split screen co-op has a filter on Steam. https://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=39

20XX is on all consoles & that list, if you like a MegamanX clone.

P.S. Also maybe the Trine series, or Streets of Rogue?
    +1 for the Trine games, although I played them via online co-op on PC rather than couch co-op on console.
    Quarantined and loving life.

Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    I realize this is not the thread for it (though I found nothing more appropriate, sorry >_>) but I figured I might as well; I've picked up an Xbox One last Christmas, and we've been mostly playing Diablo 3 local coop with my GF and that's been a load of fun; but we've both hit paragon ~1000 already and it's getting quite boring. Figured I'll have a look for something we can both play at the same time on single console, but with the exception of figher games (which neither of us is very fond of), I haven't been able to find almost anything that'd work for couch co-op. No racers, no turn-based games, nothing. Is there some gem that I've missed?

I think the one thing I've found that we found somewhat interesting was Minecraft Dungeons

e: obv I'd prefer stuff that's on Game Pass, but it's not a necessity
    Death Road to Canada.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...oad_to_Canada/

New Total War: Troy is now available for free for another 23 hours and change:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...saga-troy/home

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Endless Space 2 is $10.

How does it compare to Stellaris?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Endless Space 2 is $10.

It's also included in the Xbox game pass, I played it for a really short time. So this is only a first impressions thing.
    It's a classic-ish turn based 4x. The background story limits the species you can chose and provides lots of events. It is very polished unlike Stellaris but feels more limiting due to the set background story. The game takes itself seriously unlike Stellaris, and you won't be blowing up planets.

Give it a try if you enjoyed the classic space 4x games. You won't regret spending $10 on IMHO.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

A Total War Saga: TROY is free on the Epic store for the first 24 hours (ends sometime today).

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Endless Space 2 is $10.

Completely different games. Stellaris tries to be Paradox's version of "Grand Strategy" in space, Endless Space 2 is a more classical space 4X (like Joe already said) but with a more modern feel to it due to a very nice UI.

In the end Stellaris has more replay value for me, but ES2 is definitely worth a tenner (hell I bought it at full price and didn't regret it).

Hollow Knight and Iconoclasts are on sale.