hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 166 of 169 FirstFirst ... 66116156163164165166167168169 LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 3371

Thread: Steam/D2D/games sale thread

Flash sales were cancer.
    Civ6 is shit, and they know they're not shifting many copies of it & DLC without making more (costly to them) expansions to significantly change it. So they're just milking those that still buy it & trying to cover the costs of their fuckups. Consider it again in a year if it gets another expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    I don't really understand everyone whinging about the lack of flash sales tbh, people seem to think that anything less than 50% off isn't "on sale" at all
    Most people probably miss the bigger discounts, not the "have to check Steam three times a day" aspects of them, since a few publishers (eg. Take-Two) had overall lower discounts during sales once flash sales were gone.

And theoretically 10% is "on sale", too.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orcane View Post
    I don't really understand everyone whinging about the lack of flash sales tbh, people seem to think that anything less than 50% off isn't "on sale" at all
    Most people probably miss the bigger discounts, not the "have to check Steam three times a day" aspects of them, since a few publishers (eg. Take-Two) had overall lower discounts during sales once flash sales were gone.

And theoretically 10% is "on sale", too.
    Get a humble monthly bundle subscription and you have a permanent 10% discount on all games in their store which is p much everything. Which I rarely use because you're basically doing it wrong if you get less than 20% discount on the Steam price through something like GMG (who currently has a 25% discount on everything sale going on).

Flash sales being cancer... I have argued about it on this forum a few times already. But the point is the current steam sales are worth shit. Even when on sale you can almost always buy games cheaper elsewhere. With flash sales at least steam was even for some time cheapest. And the fact that sales are every month now makes it just dumb to buy games between. Just wait 2-3 weeks and games gonna be 10% down at least. It really wouldn't hurt them to just lower prices of old games a bit? Also super old games are still full retardly high prices all the time and while on sale they do not drop to what they used to cost. I have seen in supermarkets physical copies of games twice as cheap as games on steam... It just praying on uninformed people. I have no idea how people can defend this model. Sure old one was not perfect either.

Quote Originally Posted by Voulture View Post
    Flash sales being cancer... I have argued about it on this forum a few times already. But the point is the current steam sales are worth shit. Even when on sale you can almost always buy games cheaper elsewhere. With flash sales at least steam was even for some time cheapest. And the fact that sales are every month now makes it just dumb to buy games between. Just wait 2-3 weeks and games gonna be 10% down at least. It really wouldn't hurt them to just lower prices of old games a bit? Also super old games are still full retardly high prices all the time and while on sale they do not drop to what they used to cost. I have seen in supermarkets physical copies of games twice as cheap as games on steam... It just praying on uninformed people. I have no idea how people can defend this model. Sure old one was not perfect either.
    Yes, and every time you're wrong.

Also you feel they're shit because you probably already own most of the games you give a shit about, flash sales were just what you'd otherwise get on a sale at the lowest except for very few cases and then not buying anything and waiting for the flash sale you could easily miss while sleeping was idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Flash sales were cancer.
    Civ6 is shit, and they know they're not shifting many copies of it & DLC without making more (costly to them) expansions to significantly change it. So they're just milking those that still buy it & trying to cover the costs of their fuckups. Consider it again in a year if it gets another expansion.
    Yeah, decided to give another go to Darkest Dungeon instead. Save my pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Yes, and every time you're wrong.

Also you feel they're shit because you probably already own most of the games you give a shit about, flash sales were just what you'd otherwise get on a sale at the lowest except for very few cases and then not buying anything and waiting for the flash sale you could easily miss while sleeping was idiotic.
    Yeah but the point you are ignoring is that flash sales were something coming additionally. It wasn't this or that. How having another way to buy games cheaper instead of not having it is bad is beyond me. And it wasn't just for flash sales, there were bigger discounts on older games than they are now.

So, what exactly do you like about new format of sales so much?
    Last edited by Voulture; June 7 2018 at 07:03:52 PM.

Yeah but the point you are ignoring is that flash sales were something coming additionally.
    Heh, that's not how anything works, sorry.

It really wouldn't hurt them to just lower prices of old games a bit? Also super old games are still full retardly high prices all the time and while on sale they do not drop to what they used to cost. I have seen in supermarkets physical copies of games twice as cheap as games on steam... It just praying on uninformed people. I have no idea how people can defend this model. Sure old one was not perfect either.
    You do realize the prices, both regular and in sales, are set by the publishers, not by Steam? Apparently this model maximizes their revenue. Make of that what you will.

It's not really surprising several publishers took the disappearance of flash/daily bonus sales as an opportunity to lower discounts a bit - there have been a bunch of "sales are bad for our bottom line" articles while the flash sales etc. were still a thing and obviously they're happier with the current situation.

I'm not missing the flash sales because after they introduced EUR pricing, Steam prices were never great here compared to eg. importing hardcopies from the UK or buying from other portals (GMG, GamersGate or Gamesplanet, let alone shadier key sites). However the people complaining that you could miss out on a sale because you were sleeping were wrong too, this is not how the sales worked. Steam had the regular on-sale prices (eg. 40% off) and a bonus sale (eg. 60% off) when it was a daily or flash sale. Most big games were rotated through the special sale spots and usually showed up in the end of sale encore, so there were several opportunities to get that game at 60% off. Once you realized that, it even took some of the "what's discounted today" excitement out of the sales because you knew you'd be seeing the same discounts on the same games for another daily or even some flash sale later, so you could safely skip the first half of the sale or more (except for the badge and trading card shenanigans they did).

You call it excitement, i call it you falling for hilarious basic tricks and calling it somehow good for the consumer.

You didn't get "an additional special deal" you got the "this is how much we'd sell it for anyway but we're making it look like you're getting a special deal so you feel good about yourself and buy it when you otherwise maybe wouldnt" deal.

Thinking any business is giving you special deals as a bonus is hilariously naive and would think someone as supposedly cynical as you tend to be would know better.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    A sales mechanic where you have to be at your computer with funds ready for a 6 hour window (internationally btw, the number of flash sales that I missed because they were 1-7AM EU time) is a wanky concept

It's not like Steam's 3 sales a year don't already give you massive discounts on anything more than a year old

A sales mechanic where you have to be at your computer with funds ready for a 6 hour window (internationally btw, the number of flash sales that I missed because they were 1-7AM EU time) is a wanky concept

It's not like Steam's 3 sales a year don't already give you massive discounts on anything more than a year old
    But they would come back again at a different time.
    Never bought so many games I wouldn't play before.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

But they would come back again at a different time.
    Never bought so many games I wouldn't play before.
    Alternatively, they could just go on sale for the same price over a weeks period.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    You do realize the prices, both regular and in sales, are set by the publishers, not by Steam? Apparently this model maximizes their revenue. Make of that what you will.
    Is that really the case? Xeno stated the same somewhere above. I tried to verify that, but came up only with unconclusive results. The only relevant article 1) I found is vague in that it states that developers/publisher may now set their own sales. Which somehow led me to believe that perhaps both Valve and devs/pubs can initiate a sale for a game. But then again this article is old (2012).

1) https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...wn-steam-sales

Valve have no stake in any games beyond providing the storefront, why on earth would they be able to dictate pricing?

No, no, no, that doesn't count. That's way tooo obvious!

Thanks, that clarified that for me. Not sure why I was under the impression Valve would set the sales prices.

@Xeno: I thought perhaps because of :contracts:. I've seen worse contracts happily signed.

Valve also recently rolled pack their "NO LEWDNESS" anti-weeb blacklisting with a pretty reasonable press statement

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593...76116200553082

tl:dr unless it's straight up illegal in the US or overt trolling, it can be on the store

I wonder if this means they'll walk back their "no advertising 18+ patches in the store for censored games" though

shut tup, nerds

totally accurate battlegrounds, goty 2018, is free on steam until 10th
    then its gonna be five bux

fonepisting so dont ask