hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Useful Info Thread

The Useful Info Thread

We don''t really have anywhere to post titbits of useful information related to the game, whether it be systems, mechanics or just plain useful info. I'll try to update the OP as stuff is added going forward.

Perfect Supercruise

The sweet spot for perfect supercruise approaches is six seconds ETA to target. Approach at max throttle all the way in, then when ETA hits 8 or 7 seconds, slam throttle to 75% and allow ETA to drop to 6 seconds. Do not adjust throttle if affected by mass on the way in as ETA will return to 6 once you've cleared the mass obstruction.

Anything higher than 6 seconds is wasted journey time. Anything lower than 6 seconds, except in the very last stages of approach (last 20m km or so) will cause you to overshoot. If you do drop to 5 seconds early in the approach, slam throttle to zero and see if it drops to 6 - if it doesn't, push throttle to 75% again and loop the loop and you should be at or above 6 seconds ETA by the time you come back round to the target.

Most station entrances face the object they are orbiting, so approach at 90 degrees to the orbital plane and then turn inward, aiming at a point between the station and the orbital body. When the station is almost 90 degrees to you on one side, turn towards the station (turning your back on the planet) until you reach drop out range, and you should land facing or within view of the docking slot.

Outposts work the other way round. Their pads tend to face away from the object they are orbiting, so for most Outposts you can drop the planet method above entirely and approach from the star for best landing vector.

Shield Mechanics

Just came across this on Reddit:
    http://nm.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerou...sting_results/

The tl'dr is:

A D rated shield is 7.5% stronger than an E rated shield of the same class.
    A C rated shield is 15% stronger than an E rated shield of the same class.
    A B rated shield is 22.5% stronger than an E rated shield of the same class.
    An A rated shield is 30% stronger than an E rated shield of the same class.

and

1 pip to shields allows the shields to absorb around 1% more damage.
    2 pips to shields allows the shields to absorb around 8% more damage.
    3 pips to shields allows the shields to absorb around 37% more damage.
    4 pips to shields allows the shields to absorb around 150% more damage.

Shield strength comparison spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...17U/edit#gid=0
    Common Progression Paths

Fighter: Sidewinder > Eagle > Viper > Cobra > GRIND > Asp > GRINDGRINDGRIND > Python > XXXWTFBBQGRIND > Anaconda

Trader: Sidewinder > Hauler > Adder > GRIND > Lakon Type 6 > GRIND > Lakon Type 7 > GRINDGRIND > Python > GRINDGRINDGRIND > Lakon Type 9 Heavy > XXXWTFBBQGRIND > Anaconda

Add Imperial Courier, Federal Dropship, Orca (lol) and GRIND to taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Fuel & Route-Plotting

If you are doing a long trade run and your current max jump range is say 15.5 LY, set the route map for 16 LY and if you see a jump that's over your jump limit don't worry too much. I often find that by the time I reach the jump it is within my jump range as the game seems to work on your current active fuel amount, not necessarily your starting weight. I found this amazingly helpful doing the rare trade runs in the cobra which often would use up to 75% of its fuel during the run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Spank View Post
    Guide to Exploration Payouts

Exploration Payouts
    Last edited by Saul; January 4 2015 at 03:08:39 PM.

Reserved

If you are doing a long trade run and your current max jump range is say 15.5 LY, set the route map for 16 LY and if you see a jump that's over your jump limit don't worry too much. I often find that by the time I reach the jump it is within my jump range as the game seems to work on your current active fuel amount, not necessarily your starting weight. I found this amazingly helpful doing the rare trade runs in the cobra which often would use up to 75% of its fuel during the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Perfect Supercruise

The sweet spot for perfect supercruise approaches is six seconds ETA to target. Approach at max throttle all the way in, then when ETA hits 8 or 7 seconds, slam throttle to 75% and allow ETA to drop to 6 seconds. Do not adjust throttle if affected by mass on the way in as ETA will return to 6 once you've cleared the mass obstruction.

Anything higher than 6 seconds is wasted journey time. Anything lower than 6 seconds, except in the very last stages of approach (last 20m km or so) will cause you to overshoot. If you do drop to 5 seconds early in the approach, slam throttle to zero and see if it drops to 6 - if it doesn't, push throttle to 75% again and loop the loop and you should be at or above 6 seconds ETA by the time you come back round to the target.

Most station entrances face the object they are orbiting, so approach at 90 degrees to the orbital plane and then turn inward, aiming at a point between the station and the orbital body. When the station is almost 90 degrees to you on one side, turn towards the station (turning your back on the planet) until you reach drop out range, and you should land facing or within view of the docking slot.

Outposts work the other way round. Their pads tend to face away from the object they are orbiting, so for most Outposts you can drop the planet method above entirely and approach from the star for best landing vector.

I just feel the need to point out that you can stay in the blue zone with the throttle and still overshoot/approach too fast certain things simply because it seems slingshot mechanics are implemented, i.e. you can actually pull such maneuvers around certain orbital bodies and you'll get automagically accelerated way beyond the blue area, even though your throttle is still in the blue area.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Perfect Supercruise

I just feel the need to point out that you can stay in the blue zone with the throttle and still overshoot/approach too fast certain things simply because it seems slingshot mechanics are implemented, i.e. you can actually pull such maneuvers around certain orbital bodies and you'll get automagically accelerated way beyond the blue area, even though your throttle is still in the blue area.
    Orbital bodies do affect acceleration/deceleration and speed, yes, but maintaining the six second ETA will always drop you out in the fastest possible time. To do that, you need to run 75% throttle once you hit 7 seconds, let it drop to 6 on its own and not touch it until you drop out. If you clip the gravity well of the planet on the way in, you'll see ETA increase etc., but if you don't adjust the throttle it _will_ drop back to 6 again once you leave the influence area.

You only overshoot with this method if you slip under 6 seconds and can't recover, or if you clip a gravity well once you've switched to 75% throttle and try to compensate to bring it back to 6 manually while still in the well. Just don't touch the throttle at all once you hit your 75% mark. Seriously it works every single time on every orbital body.
    Last edited by Saul; January 4 2015 at 04:18:03 PM.

I used to do that, but with 7 seconds. With stations that you can sorta guess there is a body mass. Go in full throttle, once it hits that 10-6 second window (depends on how large the planet mass is). Slam to near zero, or near the blue spot while the gravity well of the object rapidly deaccelerates the ship. Find it best when I can aim for the opposite of where the station is at, do a half orbit around planet and adjust speed/orientation to slow just enough to hit the station in that sweet spot between orbital body/station.

Much for fun to pilot it this way, and seems to be be faster than waiting for the FSD to slowly tick down while ETA stays at 6 seconds. If you do too fast and zoom past, just do the same thing, but twice, big loop around the planet, smaller half orbit to tighten the turn and nicely cruise into the station...gas giants are great for rapid deacceleration, you could go from 20c to 10 Mm/s easily within 5-6 seconds.

Can't do it for USS or nav markers, ok-ish for RES.
    Lurker. *cloaks*
    EVE - Jadefalcon3r Pryde // Elite Dangerous - CMDR Jenna McDougall // MWO - Voxsera Hazen // STO - reivaxalis@voxsera

IMO, when super cruising i find it better in most cases to get above/below the orbital plane so you can avoid any of the celestial bodies. This is pretty useful for the system ive been basing out of as the station and outpost take turns hiding behind their respective planets they are orbiting.

Also just a general tid bit, if you've got the timer down to 5 seconds and know you will over shoot start doing some big zig zags to increase the distance traveled & up the timer; usually alot faster than having to loop around & (usually) accelerate again

Not sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk now Free

I posted this in the trading thread too, but the fastest way I have found to supercruise is to do a helical approach @ 0:04 E.T.A.

It takes more effort than just setting the throttle to 75% and waiting, but I find that makes trading more interesting.

Last edited by CastleBravo; January 4 2015 at 08:04:16 PM.

Common Progression Paths

Fighter: Sidewinder > Eagle > Viper > Cobra > GRIND > Asp > GRINDGRINDGRIND > Python > XXXWTFBBQGRIND > Anaconda

Trader: Sidewinder > Hauler > Adder > GRIND > Lakon Type 6 > GRIND > Lakon Type 7 > GRINDGRIND > Python > GRINDGRINDGRIND > Lakon Type 9 Heavy > XXXWTFBBQGRIND > Anaconda

Add Imperial Courier, Federal Dropship, Orca (lol) and GRIND to taste.

I personally recommend a hybrid progression for early game:

Sidewinder (bounties) > Eagle (bounties) > Viper (bounties) > Cobra (bounties and/or trade) > Type 6 (trade)

Here are some instructions a new player can follow to get on their feet through combat:

1. Open map, and find a planet with a rocky, metal-rich, or metallic ring
    2. Fly towards planet, and once within ~1,000Ls, look for a resource extraction site
    3. Enter RES, and fly around looking for weapons fire to find cops shooting at wanted people
    4. Shoot at the wanted ship, and make sure you are shooting at it when it is about to pop
    4. Return to a station that is of the same jurisdiction as the bounty(s) you just claimed

The sidewinder is a weak combat ship, but dying in combat costs you nothing unlike failing a mission or losing cash on a bad trade, and fighting NPCs at a disadvantage provides excellent training. Bounty hunting is also a FAR quicker method of working your way out of the Sidewinder than trading or missions IMO. I just wiped my pilot yesterday, and I made only a single flight in my Sidewinder; a quick trip to an RES that gave me ~80k for an eagle and a couple upgrades. As a new player, I would recommend docking and cashing in the credits more often than I did however. You lose all your un-cashed bounty vouchers when you die, so waiting until you have a large sum to cash in before you head back is risky unless you are confident in your ability to avoid getting your shit pushed in.

I will add some more tips on hunting in an RES later.
    Last edited by CastleBravo; January 4 2015 at 08:50:37 PM.

Not sure if this belongs here, but oh well.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=92233

Frontier will be doing individual roll-backs for people impacted by the server issues, both negatively and positively. So people who printed money by repeatedly selling cargo may lose the money, but may not be banned.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Not sure if this belongs here, but oh well.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=92233

Frontier will be doing individual roll-backs for people impacted by the server issues, both negatively and positively. So people who printed money by repeatedly selling cargo may lose the money, but may not be banned.
    Nice. Thats more of a rollback than I thought would happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post
    I posted this in the trading thread too, but the fastest way I have found to supercruise is to do a helical approach @ 0:04 E.T.A.

It takes more effort than just setting the throttle to 75% and waiting, but I find that makes trading more interesting.

Interesting. I always thought doing something like this would be faster but its nice to get the actual numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

When going for a kill on a big ship go 'back' through the subsection targets for the reactor.

If the reactor hits 0% hp the ship explodes. I have killed anaconda's on 45% hull by taking out their reactor.

It's important to go 'back' through the subsystems rather than forward, as going forward forces you to skip through all the various weapons and additional equipment on a ship, which can be a variable amount per individual ship. Going back through the subsystems makes the number of skips the same every time. This allows you to muscle memory the >target>skip to reactor process.

Putting a few points in shields and shitting out shield cells/chaff while blapping the targets reactor makes killing big targets an exercise in face rolling.

If you are bounty hunting find a system that has outposts close to RES sites rather than stations, outposts don't have a police presence hence make docking with the inevitable bounty from winging a police ship that flies in front of you considerably easier. For additional bonus find one that has a black market and scoop the odd bit of valuable loot.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Dealing with anacondas in the kill missions, both assisted and unassisted in a 400k cr fitted viper.

p.s. Yes video quality isn't great, I know.

So, about no fire zones around stations:

If shooting nothing or wanted status ships, you only get a fine. Otherwise annihilation ensues.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

Orbital bodies do affect acceleration/deceleration and speed, yes, but maintaining the six second ETA will always drop you out in the fastest possible time. To do that, you need to run 75% throttle once you hit 7 seconds, let it drop to 6 on its own and not touch it until you drop out. If you clip the gravity well of the planet on the way in, you'll see ETA increase etc., but if you don't adjust the throttle it _will_ drop back to 6 again once you leave the influence area.

You only overshoot with this method if you slip under 6 seconds and can't recover, or if you clip a gravity well once you've switched to 75% throttle and try to compensate to bring it back to 6 manually while still in the well. Just don't touch the throttle at all once you hit your 75% mark. Seriously it works every single time on every orbital body.
    And yes you can.

You guys are probably all over this but going into reverse allows you to turn faster. Also you can use the downward thrusters. Let go of the forward thrust button, press the downward thrusters, begin to turn and wait until your ship starts to slow down. It'll make a sound, the Viper makes what sounds like a coffee maker that's done brewing. Once you hear that sound let go of the downward thrusters and hit your forward thrusters. It should allow you to turn pretty quickly.

The right timing varies with your speed it seems. Its much better to do it the second way as it doesn't make you a sitting duck from slowing down

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Procellus View Post
    You guys are probably all over this but going into reverse allows you to turn faster. Also you can use the downward thrusters. Let go of the forward thrust button, press the downward thrusters, begin to turn and wait until your ship starts to slow down. It'll make a sound, the Viper makes what sounds like a coffee maker that's done brewing. Once you hear that sound let go of the downward thrusters and hit your forward thrusters. It should allow you to turn pretty quickly.

The right timing varies with your speed it seems. Its much better to do it the second way as it doesn't make you a sitting duck from slowing down
    Lord-carlos|root: because of you i am now broke... As in i really need coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Procellus View Post

The second way?
    Does it matter which way you're turning ? (Pitch up/down affect whether you want up/down thrusters?)
    Do you know what reverse and vertical thrusters does?

I've turned really fast in a viper before, but I've not quite figured out how I've done it yet as my attempts to consciously reproduce tend to end in embarrassing failure or no outside context to see how tight (or not) the turn was.