hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ship Thread - Viper Goes Faster

Ship Thread - Viper Goes Faster

Elite Wiki page: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Viper_Mk_III

I don't know much about the Viper tbh. Last time I flew one I found I couldn't fit it with all A-Type modules and still have enough power left to run a pair of Class 2 and Class 1 weapons.

How do you Viper pilots out there fit yours?

The Viper is actually slower than the Cobra. While their base boost speed is the same, the class four thrusters on the Cobra give it a significantly higher optimal mass than hull mass, so it goes faster.

Setup:
      Spoiler:

Barely over the power limit; I can set up the interdictor as the lowest priority so it'll shut down when I deploy hardpoints out of supercruise. Could sustain class 2 lasers or rails with manual energy management I guess, but eh.

Lasers and MCs are separate fire groups, switched for shields or hull respectively. Needs too many pips in WEP otherwise imo.

D2 Cell Banks because I wanna save weight.

324 (405) forward speed, 259 up/down/left/right, 194 backward. All numbers with half fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post
    The Viper is actually slower than the Cobra. While their base boost speed is the same, the class four thrusters on the Cobra give it a significantly higher optimal mass than hull mass, so it goes faster.
    Any numbers?
    Last edited by Jaxley; January 3 2015 at 08:30:38 PM.
    (╯□)╯︵ ɯɔǝ

Can fit all A (except life support, D) and run Class 1 fixed beams + class 2 gimballed M-cannons just fine, just have to smart about power priorities(no FSD when hardpoints deployed because if you are not allowed to use it anyway, cargo scoop, FSD interdictor etc you can turn off).

edit:
    Tried something new, upped life support so I can turn it off during fighting freeing up power. Changed weapons to 2x plasma & 2x dumbfire missiles. A bit tricky to lead, and expensive ammo wise, but hits rather hard. Changed PD for chaff, as I'm being shot at more by turrets compared to seeker missiles.
    Last edited by Torashuu; January 4 2015 at 02:39:30 PM.

Not had much time to play recently, so just got into a reasonably fitted Viper. It's awesome, handles completely differently from an Eagle but very nicely once you get used to it. Plus the engines growl.

so im using a viper now to do the odd kill shit mission along side my type 7 hauling, for rank and rep and to break up the grind. the only reason im using a viper over is due to it being cheaper to fit (A3 shield vs A4 etc etc)
    id have the cobra anyday otherwise. its far more stable power wise and you can use it more flexibly for missions. The weakershield is countered by cells and better knowledge of how the pips work with shields.

they turn the same, are almost same speed. i dunno. those internal slots in the cobra..... so much more useful. AND i still seem to see the viper not wanting to shoot with the class 2 when a ship is directly infront of you even! yet when target is above or below they will fire but not direct infront. le sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    so im using a viper now to do the odd kill shit mission along side my type 7 hauling, for rank and rep and to break up the grind. the only reason im using a viper over is due to it being cheaper to fit (A3 shield vs A4 etc etc)
    id have the cobra anyday otherwise. its far more stable power wise and you can use it more flexibly for missions. The weakershield is countered by cells and better knowledge of how the pips work with shields.

they turn the same, are almost same speed. i dunno. those internal slots in the cobra..... so much more useful. AND i still seem to see the viper not wanting to shoot with the class 2 when a ship is directly infront of you even! yet when target is above or below they will fire but not direct infront. le sigh.
    the cobra comes with utterly shit weapon placement while a Viper can mount 4 fixed weapons (maximum damage, omnomnomnom!) and still hit stuff because everything is pretty much bang-on the centerline

i replaced my eagle with one of these, hot damn that engine noise, gave me shivers when i opened up the throttle to full the first time, im currently kitting it out but that powerplant looks awfully limiting
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

remember to set shit you cant use when guns out - ie frameshift, fuel scoop etc - to priority 3 etc to fre up power for guns.

rate my badness, this is the setup i plan to run on my Viper for bounty grinding.
    http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30M,5R...c,05U7Pc4yQ2Uc

Fixed pulse lasers is purely down to ease of use and no ammunition cost, i my current fit is mostly in C and D class mods but functionally identical, i plan to simply offline the Frameshift drive trough power priorities once the hardpoints go out, but that reactor output is damn tough to work with, i am tempted to go for fixed cannons/multi cannons purely because that would let me upgrade the warrant scanner to a A class as well.

i found a nice spot, anarchy system in jump range, excellent fitting opperunities and a nice nearby hunting ground with both a independent and a faction outpost in system as well as plenty extraction sites and 2 stars with nav points on both so clearing bounties on accidental friendly fire is trivial and a change of scenery is a jump away.

i could propably eke more power out by off-lining the cargo hatch when the hardpoints are out, but would that be enough to upgrade that warrant scanner ?

as for the fuel scoop, it would be a shame not to have it on board y'kno ?
    Last edited by Liare; January 19 2015 at 10:54:25 AM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Id take chaff over ECM. Other than that its solid. No shield cells but I guess youre more explore/combat than dedicated combat vs conda's etc.

You can also set fuel scoop and cargo hatch power priority to 2 or 3 if you find youre still tight on power with an upgraded warrent scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Id take chaff over ECM. Other than that its solid. No shield cells but I guess youre more explore/combat than dedicated combat vs conda's etc.

You can also set fuel scoop and cargo hatch power priority to 2 or 3 if you find youre still tight on power with an upgraded warrent scanner.
    i just avoid Anacondas unless they are already engaged, and then i employ hit and run tactics relying on my boost, so i setup a run outside it's turret range, max power to guns, pew pew pew until they overheat, then full power to engines and boost away followed by loitering out of range until the shields are ready.

Chaff doesn't seem that useful with that sort of tactics employed, i find missiles more problematic than gimbaled guns as my tactics revolve around the quite frankly silly speed of the Viper and minimizing exposure time.
    Viking, n.:

Cargo hatch uses a weirdly high amount of power, so it's a good one to turn off when hardpoints are deployed. Cargo hatch, fuel scoop and frameshift drive are my usual "offline whilst weapons are out" mix - together they free up a *lot* of power.

ou'll want something vs hull, pure lasers is kinda awefull. Downgrade the life support to D, power and weight saved and in the viper you dont need alot of time to get home. Get shield cells even a tiny one. It cheaper than repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torashuu View Post
    ou'll want something vs hull, pure lasers is kinda awefull. Downgrade the life support to D, power and weight saved and in the viper you dont need alot of time to get home. Get shield cells even a tiny one. It cheaper than repairs.
    pure lasers let me dodge ammunition cost plus the need to redock every 10-15 kills, the loss of killpower is not problematic when doing bounties since you spend a fair bit of time looking for the next target anyway, a pure laser setup like that can grind for hours on end if i wanted.
    Viking, n.:

Multi-cannons will last you quite a while before running dry, and the time you win is easily enough for restocking ammo. Besides you'll want to cash in your bounties once in a while anyway. If looking for targets is what takes longest you're looking for bounties in the wrong places. At a decent RE site the limiting factors are killing time and flying to the next target, not the availability of one. Even in conflict zones the 3k cr per kill reward easily pays for the ammo. And the extra punch of the m-cannons makes you rack up the numbers quite a bit faster both in RE sites and conflict zones.

A full load of M-cannon ammo is like what, 7-10k cr? Thats less then one cobra bounty. So if you kill one extra cobra in the time you're out there because of the cannons you're already ahead. As for the extra docking, try writing down how often you dock with your pulse lasers and afterwards switch and see if its a big difference. On my clipper I have the m-cannons even in the same fire group as the lasers because I can't be arsed about the few rounds hitting shields for less optimal damage. And I still barely can keep up with the spawn rate. Thats 2 large gimballed burst lasers & 2 medium gimballed medium M-cannons.

Btw you can easily do Anaconda kills with a viper. Just needs med pulse/beam to taste, shield cells and dumbfire pods in the small mounts. Chaff optional. Really people fret about ammo costs to much in this game, like their afraid to spend anything will improve their earning potential. Its like complaining that the Python has such higher fuel costs compared to the type 7/clipper, while you make an easy 40k extra per transaction.
    Last edited by Torashuu; January 19 2015 at 01:33:59 PM.

i find i spend more time looking for the next kill than i do killing them though, so my first investment is going to be upgraded sensors to cut that time down a fair bit and then maybe change loadout later, it's nice and easy to have the warrant scanner on secondary and the primary as my "i love you!" button that generates credits, i was thinking about putting guided missiles in the small pods for though targets for a spell but decided against doing that.

maybe im going to give 4x Multicannons a try, cant hurt.
    Last edited by Liare; January 19 2015 at 02:05:16 PM.
    Viking, n.:

Meh full pulse isnt THAT bad vs armour. I go for a mcannon split when using beams as those really do suck vs armour. If youve got the cap and power you could try bursts on your viper for a bit more dps.

Guided missiles are pretty much the poorest value for money weapon wise, dumbfire for cheap splat or torp for one hit wonder. Both need to be fired from practically on top of the target or they will get taken out by PDs. Upgraded sensors were the first upgrade I got on my viper (the second time I got it), so definitely get those. I'd say 4x pulse is better then 4x multi-cannon.

Haven't noticed a difference vs armor wrt different laser types. Sauce?
    Its a real shame medium fixed burst lasers don't exist/aren't in yet/are incredibly rare because I'd love me some of them for my viper. Since flying the Clipper every weapon layout on the viper disappoints.

edit: Wishlist for Fer De Lance: Viper with the power to run 2x large + 2x med mounts. Burst lasors and Railguns/plasma galore.
    Last edited by Torashuu; January 19 2015 at 02:37:37 PM.

I prefer the mix of burst lasers and multicannons as well. Burst over beam since they have more sustained dps and multicannons fire even when your lasers are overheating.
    All lasers will just make your ship heat up/spend weapon energy much quicker and then giving your more downtime before you can fire again, meaning you get more burst but hardly more sustained dps compared to two lasers.
    Multicannons also kill components quicker, not noticable on smaller targets like cobras, but on anacondas they make quite a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Torashuu View Post
    Haven't noticed a difference vs armor wrt different laser types. Sauce?
    If you look at the comparison tool in outfitting all weps have an A rating for armour pen. Some however have a better level of "A" than others. LOLWUT. Blue is better than current. Yellow is the same. Red is worse.

Rails > Cannons / Mcannons > Pulses/Bursts > Beams - off the top of my head.

Would be nice if they used real numbers but tbh their whole fitting window stats thing needs a massive overhaul. So much missing data.