hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Exploration - Where you bitches going/been?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    exploration seems like a solo activity? should you head towards a particular nebula or head towards the center of the galaxy or the edge?
    There is no should.. My only advice is big bright nebula attract a lot of people.

Tapaderpin old skool
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    exploration seems like a solo activity? should you head towards a particular nebula or head towards the center of the galaxy or the edge?
    There is no should.. My only advice is big bright nebula attract a lot of people.

Tapaderpin old skool
    Yeah, this is the whole point. It's up to you. For me, I kinda like the idea that I might be quite literally the first person to ever lay eyes on that system or planet or whatever. With 4 billion-odd stars the developers certainly haven't seen them all, and player exploration has barely scratched the surface at this stage.

Someone visited the earth-sized planet Kepler 438b which was patched into the game recently after it's discovery recently.

which direction should i head, towards the galaxy edge or the center?

which direction should i head, towards the galaxy edge or the center?
    Colesack is a good starting nebula as it's not far out (although there isn't much to see). If you want a long trip look up V404 (I think it's V). Should be a black hole about 3000ly out. There are a couple of really interesting distractions on the way. I never ended up making it to the black hole....

I did a short run out to polaris. The system its self needs a pass but some of the surrounding systems were nice (and 2 netted me over 100k in data each). It's also really close.

I'm heading out to the cat paw (?) nebula at the moment, then it's off to the eagle nebula (then toward the core)

Tapaderpin old skool

Once i have the funds and the ship setup i'm heading for Vela constellation, plan on surveying the planetary nebula NGC 3132 it's nice and bright (mag 9.9) and only 2,000 LY ( vela pulsar) then will be hitting the open cluster on the way back as it's 580ly out.

heading out now, when you head somewhere do you just try to plot 100LY at a time in the approx direction you want to go? wont you miss a lot of systems in between the 30odd LY jumps? is it just hoping that the system you land in each of those jumps has some cool stuff to scan?

Do you quickly advanced system scan the system then pull up the system map and then see if it shows anything cool worth detailed scanning?

Yeah plot 100 LY at a time or closest you can get.

Yes you miss a lot of systems. If you stopped for even half of them you'd never get anywhere, so yes - blap the ADS on entry into a new system, scoop if required, align for next jump and then check system map. Any water/terrestrial/metal rich/metallic worlds within a few thousand LS of the entry star are worth scanning.

Do not scan moons or roid belts as they pay little/nothing. Don't bother with ice worlds either, or anything too far from the main star (unless it's a water/terrestrial).

Would recommend making a shortish trip the first time. It's very easy to lose motivation when you're a long way out.

is there any way to tell what systems have been scanned for the first time? does it tell you when you come to sell the data?

is it based on first to scan or first to sell the scanned data?

is there any way to tell what systems have been scanned for the first time? does it tell you when you come to sell the data?

is it based on first to scan or first to sell the scanned data?
    First to sell I believe. If you die you lose the scans you've not sold.

If you can view a system map for the system in question, even if it's just the star, then someone's been there before you. If you can't select the system map, then either no-one's been there, or if they have they've not sold it yet.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Yeah plot 100 LY at a time or closest you can get.

Yes you miss a lot of systems. If you stopped for even half of them you'd never get anywhere, so yes - blap the ADS on entry into a new system, scoop if required, align for next jump and then check system map. Any water/terrestrial/metal rich/metallic worlds within a few thousand LS of the entry star are worth scanning.

Do not scan moons or roid belts as they pay little/nothing. Don't bother with ice worlds either, or anything too far from the main star (unless it's a water/terrestrial).

Would recommend making a shortish trip the first time. It's very easy to lose motivation when you're a long way out.
    Not even then.

id post screenshots but my screenshots are 10.5mb being 1440p screen i run. and imgur doesnt like over 10mb. le sigh.

how do you know which systems have fancy stars and bodies? is it say from the info on the star map or only once you D scan in system will you know? pot luck otherwise?

how do you know which systems have fancy stars and bodies? is it say from the info on the star map or only once you D scan in system will you know? pot luck otherwise?
    The system maps are updated when players sell the data, so if a system hasn't been scanned and that data sold then the information is unavailable on the system map.

It's also worth noting that the maps only contain data retrieved, so if someone just discovery scans a system then none of the more detailed information on the contents will be shown until someone else scans the contents one by one properly.

Star systems are also impressively accurate, if there is hard data on a system's content irl then it'll probably be there in game, so if you fancy visiting something interesting in the galaxy then go forth and find notable phenomena where they're supposed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

from the star map when i hover over a system it just says M4 V for the side and heat of the stars in the system from the info tab. its how im chosing what systems i visit, interesting stars, like A, Fs, Bs etc i go there rather than boring Ks and Ms unless they are very bright, i use the realistic view to see whats going on with the stars. None of the systems show me anything though that ive been to until i do the Dscanner thing to reveal what bodies there are in system. i presume that means that im the first to visit?

HIP 97394 + HIP 19318 if you are near the start place, civilisation, sol, and want to start exploration, id recommend these systems first.

Hip 97 seems to have two O star which could be cool and HIP 19 seems to have two blackholes! id love to see how they interact together.

im about 1100 LY away from them heading away so i cant check them myself. they are only about 100 LY or 200 LY from SOL i believe...

HIP 97394 + HIP 19318 if you are near the start place, civilisation, sol, and want to start exploration, id recommend these systems first.

Hip 97 seems to have two O star which could be cool and HIP 19 seems to have two blackholes! id love to see how they interact together.

im about 1100 LY away from them heading away so i cant check them myself. they are only about 100 LY or 200 LY from SOL i believe...
    They will just orbit each other..

You used to get some funky ass lensing effect between them but I think it was technically a bug..

Also they have to be really close to eachother.

is the adder worth using for this or is it "get a fucking asp, you scrublord!" ?
    http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30g,0W...Q40KympT2UI2jw
    32 LY
    http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30f,mp...zM7Q40JO2jw2UI
    24 LY

it could be nice with something relaxing to muck about with when now and then when pew pewing things in my Viper gets old, and the investment difference is rather sizable especially if you accidentally go sun-surfing.
    Last edited by Liare; January 19 2015 at 01:02:15 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    is the adder worth using for this or is it "get a fucking asp, you scrublord!" ?
    32 LY
    24 LY

it could be nice with something relaxing to muck about with when now and then when pew pewing things in my Viper gets old, and the investment difference is rather sizable especially if you accidentally go sun-surfing.
    The hauler actually has a decent jump range and enough slots for scanners, scoop etc. If you're feeling really ghetto...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    32 LY
    24 LY

The hauler actually has a decent jump range and enough slots for scanners, scoop etc. If you're feeling really ghetto...
    and you get better range out of it than the adder.
    http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30V,mp...c,4zq2jw7OW2UI

:wat:

why even have the Adder in the first place then? the biggest difference between the two is the auto-repair unit that adds nothing in terms of range penalty
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.