hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Exploration - Where you bitches going/been?

Im back!

It took me 4 hours of actual flight to make it back from the nebula. Thats without scanning any systems down (just the one can as I was waiting for the jump drive to cool off) and not counting the times I had to relog (and the time I got pissed off and left it for about 2 hours). It has also just taken me 45 fucking mins to sell each system individually as there is no sell all button.. I had 3 systems net me over 80k each (best was 88k) and a handful more systems net me more than 60k. The stars in the nebula seemed to be the money systems as many of them had blackholes.

All up I found 5 earth-like planets. I also found countless terraform candidates and a tone of planets with life on them. I made a grand total of 2,587,902 credits.. The dual sun system that almost cooked me ended up costing me about 100k in repairs..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Worth noting as I don't think it's been said here but you can't sell cartographical data of a system until you're 20LY away from where you got the data, even if it's a completely unexplored system. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in any of the guides I've read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

I put a basic scanner on my ship and pinged it on the jump in at every system doing the rates runs. I was making 500 to 4k per system. Paid for all the fuel. Easy.

Just curious, but is there anyway to speed up the surface scans?

Not sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk now Free

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Just curious, but is there anyway to speed up the surface scans?

Not sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk now Free
    Don't really think so, it's actually what makes exploring annoying imo (sporting an advanced discovery scanner and an advanced surface scanner).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Another find from Reddit.

Essentially a re-interpretation of the infographics from above in a more succinct form. Looks useful for quick reference.

Direct image | Wallpaper Version | Reddit Discussion Thread
    Last edited by Lady Spank; January 3 2015 at 04:12:54 PM.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Was just about to post that! Looks handy, saving it for my longer trip.

Got bored of margin trading in the Type 7, so traded it all in and decked out an Asp with full A Type mods and all the exploration gear, 26LY jump range. Just passed the Pipe (Stem) and (Bowl) and am headed coreward again. Planning to be out for quite a while on this one.

Heading towards the core myself, but got interdicted on the way by a clipper which tore me a new one thanks to :firegroups:, managed to turn it around at 50% hull but very damaged all around and he buggered off before I could finish him off, so no bounty. Docked up nearby, 150k reps, fml. Continuing tomorrow.

Sent via iPigeon.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

I'm getting itchy again... Sold up my type6. Planned to get a type 7 but I couldn't find one and they had an asp... D fit with an A jump drive.. 32Ly empty...

I noticed on my way back last time that while polaris is a restricted system, there were a lot of interesting looking stars around it. I might go have a look.. It's only 400Ly out.. Shouldn't take long.. Then I might go check out a few smaller nebula I found.

Tapaderpin old skool

Xihe Zhen Dock has 13 ships so should have type 7, its a high tech and refinary station so it has the top A4 mods, dont know if it has higher though but might be a good place to visit if you need to get good shit for your ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Heading towards the core myself, but got interdicted on the way by a clipper which tore me a new one thanks to :firegroups:, managed to turn it around at 50% hull but very damaged all around and he buggered off before I could finish him off, so no bounty. Docked up nearby, 150k reps, fml. Continuing tomorrow.

Sent via iPigeon.
    Just noted on reddit that the core systems may still be bugged (stuck in ship spin loading or disconnect on jump), so you might not want to get too close for a while.

LHS 3505 has the ASP and the A5 FSD for it as well as a lot of excellent fittings.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

So the bug has bitten me again and I went looking through all the interesting looking stars I saw on my way back last time near Polaris.. If anyone knows how to get the system pass for Polaris please speak up, but im guessing there isn't one..

Oh I also found an earth-like on the first system I scanned down. I'm only like 300Ly out.. Literally no one has an excuse not to check this stuff out. You could do this in a slightly upgraded sidewinder..

If scanning planets/moons didnt take half a day maybe, the little exploration i did was anything but enjoyable. Finding systems with lots of celestials in is just terrifying since it will take an hour for you to get a move on.
    If there is some technique to it i'll gladly listen, but so far exploration seem like the dullest, most tedious and lowest paying thing you can do in elite. I was using advanced celestial scanner and advanced surface scanner.
    4 hours of intense scannings paid 80k or so. What am i doing wrong?

PS! I read somewhere on the official forum that certain system permits arent in the game yet, for instance achenar, the imperial homeworld is impossible to get into for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    If scanning planets/moons didnt take half a day maybe, the little exploration i did was anything but enjoyable. Finding systems with lots of celestials in is just terrifying since it will take an hour for you to get a move on.
    If there is some technique to it i'll gladly listen, but so far exploration seem like the dullest, most tedious and lowest paying thing you can do in elite. I was using advanced celestial scanner and advanced surface scanner.
    4 hours of intense scannings paid 80k or so. What am i doing wrong?

PS! I read somewhere on the official forum that certain system permits arent in the game yet, for instance achenar, the imperial homeworld is impossible to get into for the time being.

See Spank's post above for a useful infographic on what is and isn't worth scanning. 80k payouts means you're either scanning worthless ice-balls much of the time, or are too close to populated systems/frequently used routes (e.g the rough straight line from populated space to the galactic core).

If it's the former, use the infographic and only scan what's worth scanning. I jump from system to system hitting the advanced scanner on arrival, lining myself up for the next jump and checking the system view before I jump. If it's a system with plenty of metallics or an earthlike/water world, I'll turn away from the jump and detailed surface scan all relatively profitable planets within a few thousand LS of the star (avoiding all ice worlds and the lower profit gas giants, and anything over about 4k LS away, unless it's very profitable). If it's not, I jump on to the next one.

Never scan asteroid belts or moons. The range at which scans can be conducted decreases in line with the mass of the body in question, and the (comparatively) tiny mass of a moon or belt requires scan ranges of 6-7 LS, sometimes lower. They pay peanuts and it's just not worth the hassle.

If it's the latter, you're not far enough away or on a heavy traffic route. As more players scan a system, the value of those scans decreases, with the biggest payout going to the first. By now I would expect everything within 3-400 LY of populated space, a good chunk of the main route towards the galactic core and all of the nearby nebulas will have been scanned at least once. Just because no system data is present when you scan it doesn't mean someone won't beat you home and sell their scan before you sell yours; data is only populated on the map for others once the scan is sold (and even then it might take time before it becomes 'live' to all players).
    Last edited by Saul; January 7 2015 at 07:02:36 PM.

Excellent reply, thanks! I'm an idiot and guilty of both your charges, ahem, i will try this again now

No worries.

Not had time to play for a few days but just managed another 500 or so LY, at the very edge of the spiral arm now. Still not decided what I'm going to do when I reach the next arm over.

exploration seems like a solo activity? should you head towards a particular nebula or head towards the center of the galaxy or the edge?

Did a slight blip into the unknown in a cobra, but turned around and decided i need to haul in some credits for a proper asp. Made 330k ish now though, which is not too bad, most of it from one system i found with multiple high metal content and some water based life etc.