hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 280

Thread: The Secret World

  1. #21

    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Posts
    14

    Re: The Secret World

    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul
    Aye, it does. Would be even more hyped up about it if it wasn't coming from Funcom.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm about as :bittervet: with FC as I am with CCP

    I like the setting for it, I really do. Templars vs Illuminati vs the ineffectual guys no one cares about (Dragon) in a mostly modern-day setting. The early trailer for it when they had their viral internet marketing going on was promising. It's just... ugh FunCom. They make CCP look like they care deeply about their internet spaceship game. It will not deliver what it promises, I guarantee that.
    Frigate whoring since '04 (on and off)

  2. #22

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    376

    Re: The Secret World

    I too was burned badly by AoC

    You wont get me this time FunCom!

  3. #23
    Brisi's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    523

    Re: The Secret World

    "...but most importantly you will be engaged in an epic storyline with thousands of players..."

    "...that scene from the Matrix where Neo wakes up and goes 'I know Kung Fu', that's the feeling we want players to have..."

    Etc etc.

    Gameplay looks boring and standard, and with multiple cities around I imagine it will be like AoC in the sense you zone from instance to instance.

    + Funcom

    No thanks, I'll skip this one.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    278
    Bump for an interesting upcoming game.

    Gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk57o...eature=related

    Estimated drop date is April 2012. You can get into the beta on the homepage. http://www.thesecretworld.com/

    Anyone get in and have a review?

    Edit: One of the neat things they are trying to incorporate are investigative missions that combine in-game investigation with out of game investigation. So you will have to find locations which gives you clues you need to research via the web which bring you to new locations, etc. Neat idea, we will see how the implementation is.
    Last edited by Aypse; September 6 2011 at 09:50:02 PM.
    Hi.

  5. #25
    Wrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Wormholes
    Posts
    1,970
    I have a guaranteed beta invite for this that I got from doing a different beta with Funcom of some kids game. I don't think the beta has started at all (or they have the most airtight NDA in the history of games).

    I'm pretty eager to see how it does, as I like AO and played it for years before coming to EVE. Unfortunately, there's literally jack shit released about what the game is going to be like. We now know that SW:TOR is a WoW clone with lightsabers, instanced pvp, and no death penalty. Why can't developers just come out and say what type of game their MMO is? Instead we get morsels like "it has a fuckton of weapons and powers!" Yeah thanks, real informative.

  6. #26
    orcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Switzerlol
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Aypse View Post
    Bump for an interesting upcoming game.

    Gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk57o...eature=related

    Estimated drop date is April 2012. You can get into the beta on the homepage. http://www.thesecretworld.com/

    Anyone get in and have a review?

    Edit: One of the neat things they are trying to incorporate are investigative missions that combine in-game investigation with out of game investigation. So you will have to find locations which gives you clues you need to research via the web which bring you to new locations, etc. Neat idea, we will see how the implementation is.
    According to the news on the website they actually postponed the phase 1 of whatever they're doing and suspended the Failbook-based beta invitation scheme.

    The previews and interviews RPS ran during summer sounded good, but I registered for beta ages ago (one year?), and I refuse to join Failbook just to play a PC game (not sure if that will be a requirement TBH), let alone get priority beta access for said game (this one was what "phase 1" was all about, bigger chance to get in beta + exclusive items or some shit like that).

  7. #27
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    13,960
    Quote Originally Posted by orcane View Post
    According to the news on the website they actually postponed the phase 1 of whatever they're doing and suspended the Failbook-based beta invitation scheme.

    The previews and interviews RPS ran during summer sounded good, but I registered for beta ages ago (one year?), and I refuse to join Failbook just to play a PC game (not sure if that will be a requirement TBH), let alone get priority beta access for said game (this one was what "phase 1" was all about, bigger chance to get in beta + exclusive items or some shit like that).
    Link in OP looked nice, took me to the "The Secret World Trailer - Story and Missions" on youtube.. Started with an EA logo.. Pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by orcane View Post
    and I refuse to join Failbook just to play a PC game (not sure if that will be a requirement TBH), let alone get priority beta access for said game (this one was what "phase 1" was all about, bigger chance to get in beta + exclusive items or some shit like that).
    I don't know if fb is really required. I registered for beta after the very first trailer and got some email last week saying I'm guaranteed a place in the beta which is delayed but hey look at our cool "game around the game" (which is the fb stuff). This makes me think it isn't required. There are also 2 links on the register page: game + fb and just game.

    (tbh: I don't really know if the game is any good. But the first trailer was "woah!", I like the setting and the stuff posted at RPS sounded good too. But it still has FC and EA. Which doesn't sound like the best companies doing this.)

  9. #29
    orcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Switzerlol
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Link in OP looked nice, took me to the "The Secret World Trailer - Story and Missions" on youtube.. Started with an EA logo.. Pass.
    You silly political extremists. EA just publishes this

  10. #30

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    997
    Plus all the horrible games that EA throws out but yet still make a profit of idiots are what pay for Battlefield, mass effect and dragon age development.

  11. #31
    Movember 2012 ElweSingollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by orcane View Post
    According to the news on the website they actually postponed the phase 1 of whatever they're doing and suspended the Failbook-based beta invitation scheme.

    The previews and interviews RPS ran during summer sounded good, but I registered for beta ages ago (one year?), and I refuse to join Failbook just to play a PC game (not sure if that will be a requirement TBH), let alone get priority beta access for said game (this one was what "phase 1" was all about, bigger chance to get in beta + exclusive items or some shit like that).
    I registered for beta a way back in 2009 no dice so far :P... howvere just got a wierd email asking me to re-ign up for beta because they have a new site yada yada yada so you may need to re-register with your current email to get your chance with beta.

  12. #32
    Donor Devec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Dutchlands
    Posts
    3,289
    Just took a look at the gameplay trailer and although it looks all fancy and all that it has a been there done that feel to it. Sure betting on safe wow inspired gameplay is a good business decision but it really leaves me wondering if there is ever going to happen a change towards different styles of gameplay other than grind inspired combat. The environment inspire combat looks nice but is just too little new to the massive heap of familiarity.

  13. #33
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    13,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec View Post
    Just took a look at the gameplay trailer and although it looks all fancy and all that it has a been there done that feel to it. Sure betting on safe wow inspired gameplay is a good business decision but it really leaves me wondering if there is ever going to happen a change towards different styles of gameplay other than grind inspired combat. The environment inspire combat looks nice but is just too little new to the massive heap of familiarity.
    Safe and uninspired... Doesn't sound at all like every other EA product in the last 10 years...
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  14. #34
    Fitzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17, 2011
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by orcane View Post
    According to the news on the website they actually postponed the phase 1 of whatever they're doing and suspended the Failbook-based beta invitation scheme.

    The previews and interviews RPS ran during summer sounded good, but I registered for beta ages ago (one year?), and I refuse to join Failbook just to play a PC game (not sure if that will be a requirement TBH), let alone get priority beta access for said game (this one was what "phase 1" was all about, bigger chance to get in beta + exclusive items or some shit like that).
    Just fyi, signing up for fb does not automatically upload that picture of you passed out in your Bangkok hotel with a pre-op's cock on your naked buttocks and post it to all your friends. You have to do al lthat manually.

  15. #35
    orcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Switzerlol
    Posts
    2,397
    Funny, but not the reason why I don't care about "fb" and won't sign up for it just for a game or beta.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Safe and uninspired... Doesn't sound at all like every other EA product in the last 10 years...
    Look at how dumb you are. You might want to look at what a developer does, and what a publisher. Also, might want to take a chill pill or two against your EA hate.

    Also you people need to read more about this game if you think it's just "WoW inspired gameplay", seriously.

  16. #36
    Wrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Wormholes
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by orcane View Post
    Look at how dumb you are. You might want to look at what a developer does, and what a publisher. Also, might want to take a chill pill or two against your EA hate.
    This. Funcom is fairly OK. Anarchy Online was great in its time, but development on the core gameplay slacked off, they introduced microtransactions for shortcutting the grind, and the playerbase left (CCP, you listening?)

    Also you people need to read more about this game if you think it's just "WoW inspired gameplay", seriously.
    First they need to tell us something about the gameplay besides meaningless vague shit like "you can have active and passive abilities" and "the player will really feel like they're in a normal town, but with gruesome monsters."

  17. #37
    orcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Switzerlol
    Posts
    2,397
    Well to be fair there's a basic amount of gameplay information around. Stuff like the "alternate reality"-style quests, the fact that it uses a horizontal progression skill system similar to EVE instead of fixed classes and uses holy-trinity (tank/healer/dps/CC) 5-man groups in dungeons. There are gameplay ("gameplay"?) trailers which show a little of it, and the interviews/features on RPS explain some more. Obviously, talk is cheap.

    So far the most it seems to have in common with WoW is that it's another holy trinity/role based MMO you play in a 3rd-person view. The potential is definitely there to be good. The other side of the coin is that I severely detest holy trinity gameplay these days, and being Funcom I fear they might reuse their AoC model of very restricted freedom of movement in their extremely instanced game world.

  18. #38
    Donor Devec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Dutchlands
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by orcane View Post
    Well to be fair there's a basic amount of gameplay information around. Stuff like the "alternate reality"-style quests, the fact that it uses a horizontal progression skill system similar to EVE instead of fixed classes and uses holy-trinity (tank/healer/dps/CC) 5-man groups in dungeons. There are gameplay ("gameplay"?) trailers which show a little of it, and the interviews/features on RPS explain some more. Obviously, talk is cheap.

    So far the most it seems to have in common with WoW is that it's another holy trinity/role based MMO you play in a 3rd-person view. The potential is definitely there to be good. The other side of the coin is that I severely detest holy trinity gameplay these days, and being Funcom I fear they might reuse their AoC model of very restricted freedom of movement in their extremely instanced game world.
    The points you bring up are my main concern. I personally don't hate EA, wow or whatever x product or service. However the longest mmo I have played must have been Eve and only eve. I have tried quite a few including wow but I could never stick around for more than a month at most because stagnation set in quick. I think I am very allergic to grinding as this also put me off in eve and I started trying to make money out of industry related activities which required planning and spreadsheeting. However I can get around grinding as long as the storytelling and the gameplay remain fun.

    The first time I saw snips and trailers of this I was rather excited about the world and the story based gameplay set within a non medieval fantasy setting (lost count of how many of those are around). But after seeing that gameplay video and reading some of the features it leaves me rather cold. Which I find sad because I'd really liked the idea at first and was hoping for some new kinds of mmo's. Maybe that is wishful thinking, but I am personally tired of seeing wow clone after clone being released 6 years in still just to try and ride on the success of it.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    April 16, 2011
    Posts
    186
    Hands On: The Secret World

    I have absolutely no idea about the lore behind this game, but everything he wrote makes it (and the game) seem very interesting and involving.

  20. #40
    Donor Devec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Dutchlands
    Posts
    3,289
    Reading that RPS article makes me interested in the game, I had never figured that of the video presentations that they did.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •